Myles Jury says he accepted UFC bout with Nate Diaz – but got no response


nate-diaz-ufc-on-fox-5

Accepting the bout was apparently the easy part. Getting his opponent to follow through on it seems to be the real challenge.

Rising lightweight contender Myles Jury has apparently accepted a fight with veteran Nate Diaz, but it doesn’t appear the fight is going to happen any time soon.

Jury (14-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC), who’s won five straight in the UFC and moved to No. 15 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA lightweight rankings, said he accepted the fight a week ago. However, Diaz (17-9 MMA, 12-7 UFC), who’s ranked No. 8 but hasn’t fought since a November TKO win over Gray Maynard, apparently hasn’t.

As Jury wrote on Twitter (with a retweet from the UFC’s official account):

Diaz, who – despite signing a new contract earlier this year – has simply cut off communication with the company, UFC President Dana White recently said. The fighter, who suffered back-to-back losses to then-champ Benson Henderson and Josh Thomson before the Maynard win, has stated he wants more money. (Diaz even asked for his release earlier this year.)

He said as much in a response to Jury:

Diaz is the younger brother of UFC vet Nick Diaz, who’s also been on the sidelines as part of a retirement he announced following March 2013 loss to then-champ Georges St-Pierre.

This past month, White suggested he’s done trying to twist the brothers’ arm.

“The thing that’s sad about it: I like them,” White told MMAjunkie. “And I used to have a really good relationship with Nate, but fighting or any other sport, it isn’t a profession. It isn’t a job. It’s an opportunity. It’s an opportunity to make money. It’s an opportunity to achieve great things in a short window of time.

“And if they want to sit out their window of time, for the rest of their career, that’s up to them.”

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 24 days ago
  • 3 views

Although some squabbling over a fight date appeared as though it might spoil the matchup, lightweight contenders Donald Cerrone and Myles Jury will, in fact, meet each other.Filed under: Featured, MM read news >>

  • 24 days ago
  • 2 views

A rumored matchup between Donald Cerrone and Myles Jury is now a reality, as the two lightweights will square off at UFC Fight Night in Boston on Jan. 18. read news >>

  • 24 days ago
  • 4 views

Coulda been a contenda. It's time to figure out who is the contender and who is the pretender when Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight "Cowboy" Donald Cerrone battles undefeated 155-poun read news >>

  • 24 days ago
  • 4 views

The dominoes fell on Wednesday. With Ronda Rousey vs. Cat Zingano headed to UFC 184, Donald Cerrone vs. Myles Jury took the UFC 182 co-main event slot. read news >>

  • 24 days ago
  • 2 views

With Ronda Rousey and Cat Zingano moved to February’s UFC 184, a lightweight bout between Donald Cerrone and Myles Jury has been slotted for UFC 182’s co-headliner.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

  • 24 days ago
  • 1 views

A rumored matchup between Donald Cerrone and Myles Jury is now a reality, as the two lightweights will square off at UFC Fight Night in Boston on Jan. 18. read news >>

  • 24 days ago
  • 1 views

With Ronda Rousey vs. Cat Zingano moved to UFC 184, the new co-main event on January 3rd features Donald Cerrone against Myles Jury in a lightweight showdown. For the 2nd time in as many fights, Dona read news >>

  • 23 days ago
  • 0 views

Donald Cerrone won't quite fulfill his wish of fighting six times in 2014, but five times in a calendar year is still pretty good. On January 3, Cowboy will take on up-and-coming lightweight Myles Ju read news >>

  • 17 days ago
  • 700 views

UFC veterans Nick Diaz and Nate Diaz have some new training partners in the 209.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jump to: