By David King,

The UFC's decision to match up Michael Bisping and Tim Boetsch at UFC 148 shocked many in the MMA community, and Mark Munoz is one of them. Munoz shared his thoughts in a recent interview with ESPN, expressing his disappointment with UFC matchmakers.

"It was surprising to me," Munoz said. "I thought we were on a collision course. I know there are a lot of people in the general public that wanted us to fight. I would have loved to fight Bisping just because he's a bigger name and I match up well with him. But hey, he's fighting Boetsch and he's got his hands full. That's a real intriguing fight. We'll see what happens. … I feel that I deserve a title shot. I feel I've done everything I possibly can do to get that shot. That's what I want to fight for. That's what I want."

Boetsch pulled of a huge upset in his last Octagon appearance, coming back in the third round—after being dominated in the first two rounds—and finishing Yushin Okami at UFC 144. While Boetsch deserves a lot credit for his comeback against Okami, it should be noted that the Japanese MMA fighter historically struggles in the third round.

I personally was hoping for a Bisping-Munoz matchup, given the fact Munoz was scheduled to face Chael Sonnen for the number one contender spot at "UFC on Fox 2," before getting sidelined by an elbow injury. Bisping—who filled in for Munoz—proved he was a serious contender against Sonnen at "UFC on Fox 2," and it seemed only natural to match the two up for the next shot at the title.

With the UFC's decision to go a different route, the middleweight title picture becomes a little unclear. I guess we'll have to wait and see how the UFC fixes the mess it has created.

David is a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and boxing practitioner that has watched and studied MMA for the past 7 years. Follow him on twitter @davidkingwriter and check out his blog.

Sources:

Brett Okamoto, "Munoz surprised he didn't get Bisping fight"

Fight and fighter information from Sherdog.com

More from the Yahoo! Contributor Network:

Interview: Kenny Florian Wants to Fight the Best Lightweights Around

Chael Sonnen Questions Anderson Silva's Cardio

Anderson Silva Calls Out Dana White

Jose Aldo Still Wants to Fight Frankie Edgar

Jim Miller Braces for Nate Diaz

Note: This article was written by a Yahoo! contributor. Sign up here to start publishing your own sports content.

Michael Bisping on finally getting his title shot: 'I believe this is my destiny' (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Bisping is quickly closing in on UFC history. So why doesn't he get much respect in the sport? read news >>

Rockhold-Bisping: Who won initial war of words? (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Luke Rockhold and Michael Bisping are two of MMA's savviest talkers, so the buildup to UFC 199 isn't lacking in entertainment. read news >>

Rockhold-Bisping: Who won initial war of words? (Yahoo Sports)

Michael Bisping Replaces Chris Weidman at UFC 199: Latest Comments, Reaction

UFC has found a replacement for the injured Chris Weidman at UFC 199, as Michael Bisping will challenge Luke Rockhold on June 4, per Lance Pugmire of the Los Angeles Times. Per Jason Floyd of the MMA read news >>

Michael Bisping Gets the Call to Fight Luke Rockhold at UFC 199

It won't be the initially planned rematch at UFC 199, but Michael Bisping got the call from the UFC to step in and face Luke Rockhold on short notice in Los Angeles. read news >>

Michael Bisping gets UFC 199 title shot following Chris Weidman injury

Michael Bisping is stepping in for the injured Chris Weidman to face champion Luke Rockhold for the middleweight championship at UFC 199 in Los Angeles on June 4. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 88 headlined by battle of unbeaten fighters (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Bantamweights Cody Garbrandt and seventh-ranked Thomas Almeida square off in the main event Sunday. read news >>

UFC Gold Couldn't Possibly Define Michael Bisping's Career

Imagine you work your whole life for a dream. To reach it, you have to compete against people taking shortcuts. Imagine those shortcuts lead them ahead of you. Imagine that dream falls away, likely n read news >>

UFC Fight Night 88 headlined by battle of unbeaten fighters (Yahoo Sports)