By David King,

The UFC's decision to match up Michael Bisping and Tim Boetsch at UFC 148 shocked many in the MMA community, and Mark Munoz is one of them. Munoz shared his thoughts in a recent interview with ESPN, expressing his disappointment with UFC matchmakers.

"It was surprising to me," Munoz said. "I thought we were on a collision course. I know there are a lot of people in the general public that wanted us to fight. I would have loved to fight Bisping just because he's a bigger name and I match up well with him. But hey, he's fighting Boetsch and he's got his hands full. That's a real intriguing fight. We'll see what happens. … I feel that I deserve a title shot. I feel I've done everything I possibly can do to get that shot. That's what I want to fight for. That's what I want."

Boetsch pulled of a huge upset in his last Octagon appearance, coming back in the third round—after being dominated in the first two rounds—and finishing Yushin Okami at UFC 144. While Boetsch deserves a lot credit for his comeback against Okami, it should be noted that the Japanese MMA fighter historically struggles in the third round.

I personally was hoping for a Bisping-Munoz matchup, given the fact Munoz was scheduled to face Chael Sonnen for the number one contender spot at "UFC on Fox 2," before getting sidelined by an elbow injury. Bisping—who filled in for Munoz—proved he was a serious contender against Sonnen at "UFC on Fox 2," and it seemed only natural to match the two up for the next shot at the title.

With the UFC's decision to go a different route, the middleweight title picture becomes a little unclear. I guess we'll have to wait and see how the UFC fixes the mess it has created.

David is a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and boxing practitioner that has watched and studied MMA for the past 7 years. Follow him on twitter @davidkingwriter and check out his blog.

Sources:

Brett Okamoto, "Munoz surprised he didn't get Bisping fight"

Fight and fighter information from Sherdog.com

More from the Yahoo! Contributor Network:

Interview: Kenny Florian Wants to Fight the Best Lightweights Around

Chael Sonnen Questions Anderson Silva's Cardio

Anderson Silva Calls Out Dana White

Jose Aldo Still Wants to Fight Frankie Edgar

Jim Miller Braces for Nate Diaz

Note: This article was written by a Yahoo! contributor. Sign up here to start publishing your own sports content.

From Around the Web

Nate Diaz vs. Matt Brown Announced for UFC 189: Latest Details and Reaction

A marquee MMA matchup will unfold at UFC 189 on July 11 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas when Nate Diaz and Matt Brown tangle in the Octagon. Fox Sports 1's UFC Tonight broke the news of the im read news >>

UFC Fight Night 62 Predictions: Main Card Staff Predictions

The UFC returns to Brazil this Saturday for UFC Fight Night 62. A welterweight matchup between submission machine Demian Maia and under-the-radar wrestling specialist Ryan LaFlare headlines the event read news >>

Michael Bisping vs. Luke Barnatt? Don't 'Count' on it...

Longtime Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight contender, Michael Bisping, never heard of fellow 185-pound fighters Roger Narvaez and Sean Strickland. Both of whom hold victories over The read news >>

UFC champ Ronda Rousey donates $30,000 to Reaction Institute in Brazil

"Rowdy" may be known for handing out beatings, but she also lends a helping hand to those in need. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) women's bantamweight titleholder Ronda Rousey demands headlines read news >>

If Michael Bisping finally gets UFC title shot, 'I won't fail my f-cking drug test'

Longtime UFC middleweight contender Michael Bisping still believes a title shot is in his future, and if he gets it, he can guarantee one thing: “I won’t fail my f-cking drug test for steroids.”Filed read news >>

UFC champ Demetrious Johnson on Henry Cejudo: I see a couple holes in his game

UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson welcomes a potential matchup with Henry Cejudo. Why? He sees “holes” in the Olympic gold medalist’s skillset.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Video: Watch Dana White's reaction to Brock Lesnar's decision to re-sign with WWE

UFC president Dana White's reaction to Brock Lesnar re-signing with WWE caught on video. He loves us. He loves us not. Just as the UFC picked the last petal from the flower and let it fall to the flo read news >>

Ronda Rousey, UFC Agree on New Contract: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction

UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey is among the hottest commodities in all of sports, but the Octagon will continue to be her main focus for the foreseeable future. According to Fox Sport read news >>

Alexander Gustafsson: Anthony 'Rumble' Johnson hits harder than Jon Jones

Swedish light heavyweight star Alexander Gustafsson's opinion of the UFC 187 matchup between UFC champion Jon Jones and challenger Anthony "Rumble" Johnson carries more weight than most. Gustafsson, read news >>