Benson Henderson and Frankie Edgar at UFC 150UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson knows that Nate Diaz brings a lot of physical tools to the fight game.

He’ll have to watch out for a long reach and relentless boxing attack on the feet, while Diaz brings the same sort of aggression on the mat, but those aren’t the factors that have Henderson most concerned.

Chief among Diaz’s abilities in the Octagon that Henderson concerns himself with is… trash talk.

Yes, trash talk.

Nate Diaz and his brother, Nick, are both adept at trash talking and mocking their opponents. It’s something that each of them does in nearly every fight.

It may seem inconsequential, but trash talking can get inside of a fighter’s head, triggering unwanted, unnecessary emotions that could distract from the original game plan. And that is precisely what Henderson is worried about.

So much so that his coaches have had his training partners gabbing it up during sparring sessions, trying to goad Henderson into getting angry and make mistakes.

Henderson’s job, of course, is to work on blocking out such tactics, focusing on his own strategy and tactics.

“I’m supposed to be calm and collected and implement my game plan,” said Henderson in a recent interview with Inside MMA.

But remaining calm when someone is getting in his face, peppering him with insults, all the while also trying to pepper him with punches, admittedly, isn’t one of Henderson’s strong suits.

“I’ve been having a hard time with that,” he revealed.

That’s why he’s been working on it with his sparring partners, however; hoping to have at least built up a tolerance for it by the time he and Diaz headline UFC on Fox 5 on Dec. 8 in Seattle.

“Hopefully, come fight night, I won’t let any of that trash-talking get in my head.”

Check out Benson Henderson’s Inside MMA comments on defending Nate Diaz’s trash talk…

From Around the Web

Benson Henderson offers to save UFC 186 after Rampage fiasco

Well, it looks like the UFC has at least one offer on the table to bolster their flagging UFC 186 PPV. Former lightweight champion Benson Henderson is throwing out a welterweight challenge. Benson He read news >>

Benson Henderson willing to save UFC 186, issues open call for opponents

UFC 186 lost its planned co-headliner earlier today, but former champion Benson Henderson is willing to save the day.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

Anderson Silva's physical trainer on PED accusations: 'I don't believe Anderson is to blame, at all'

Anderson Silva's physical trainer and friend, Rogerio Camoes, talks about how he believes Anderson is innocent of his doping accusations and how his absence impacted himself and others on the new sea read news >>

Why does Michael Johnson want Benson Henderson next? 'He won't run away from me'

BOCA RATON, Fla. – After winning four straight fights, moving into the lightweight division’s top 10, and finally shutting up his doubters, Michael Johnson knows exactly what – and whom – he wants ne read news >>

Jose Aldo: Conor McGregor didn't slap me!

The UFC featherweight champion insists that the infamous McGregor 'slap' to his back has never happened. Can we already call it slap-gate? To fast-track you to what this whole slap-thing is all about read news >>

Conor McGregor gives his own special take on the infamous 'slap' of Jose Aldo

Dana White said Conor McGregor slapped Jose Aldo's back. Aldo said McGregor grabbed his hood. And McGregor? Well, he had a different interpretation of what he did altogether. "I heard I slapped him i read news >>

Ex-UFC champ Benson Henderson vs. Michael Johnson? Count them in

How about a fight between former UFC lightweight champion Benson Henderson and rising contender Michael Johnson?Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 189 'Embedded' video blog (Ep. 8): Cameras capture Conor McGregor's infamous 'slap' that drove Jose Aldo 'crazy'

Slap? Hardly. Unwelcome physical contact? Definitely. I can empathize with Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight champion Jose Aldo. It's bad enough to have someone sitting above and beh read news >>

UFC Quick Quote: Anthony Pettis 'loves' Nate Diaz fight, but has no timetable for return

"I haven't thought about who I want to fight next. I can't even say when I can fight next. But I would love to fight Nate Diaz. That's a fight I've been waiting for, for a long time. If that's next, read news >>