Junior Assuncao has won six consecutive fights. | Photo: Dave Mandel

Armed with a six-fight winning streak and the invaluable experience that comes with having dealt with adversity, Junior Assuncao wants a second crack at UFC glory.

The 30-year-old lost two of his three fights in the Octagon between October 2006 and September 2007 and readily admits he was ill-prepared for the challenges he faced at the time. A first-round submission defeat to “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 5 winner Nate Diaz at UFC Fight Night 11 cost him his spot on the UFC roster, but Assuncao, not easily dissuaded, has gone 7-1 since.

“When I first fought in the UFC, I was 4-1 with [only] one amateur fight,” Assuncao told Sherdog.com. “I think I’ve improved a lot. I had a full-time job then, so I think my first stint in the UFC was a little premature. I didn’t really know how to fight. Nowadays, I’m a full-time fighter, so that’s all I do.”

Since leaving the UFC, Assuncao has captured the vacant Xtreme Fighting Championships lightweight crown and competed for six different promotions. He last fought in March, when he submitted Cage Rage veteran Wesley Murch with a rear-naked choke in just 92 seconds at Recife Fighting Championship 4 in his native Brazil. Assuncao believes he has what it takes to succeed in the UFC.

“The UFC is a great organization with tons of good fighters,” he said. “I can guarantee I’ll contribute to great fights for the fans. There are other great organizations out there, but I have unfinished business with the UFC. When I left the UFC, I was 30 percent of the fighter I am now. It has been almost four years, so I have also matured a lot.”

Assuncao (12-4), a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt and skilled capoeira practitioner, recently relocated to the American Top Team-affiliated Hardcore Gym in Athens, Ga., where he trains under Adam Singer and his brother, UFC veteran Rory Singer.

“I have known these guys for a long time,” Assuncao said. “We belong to the same jiu-jitsu bloodline -- Roberto Traven -- so it was an easy transition. I’ve been there for about seven months now.”

Assuncao has finished his last three foes inside one round as part of his career-best six-fight winning streak. His list of victims includes International Fight League veteran and “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 9 alum Mark Miller, whom he knocked out under the Recife Fighting Championship banner in December. Assuncao has tried to cover all his bases and even turned over his students to younger brother Freddy Assuncao, in order to dedicate himself fully to training. His other brother, 29-year-old Raphael Assuncao, currently competes in the UFC’s featherweight division.

“All of my energy is focused on training and staying in shape, so I can take a fight on short-notice if I have to,” he said. “I have been training full-time when I’m not supporting my brothers with their fights. I think I finally feel comfortable in the cage.”

Lewis vs Tybura Set as Manila Co-Main Event

Sporting a four-fight winning streak that includes three knockout victories, No. 10-ranked heavyweight contender Derrick Lewis will travel to the Philippines on Saturday, October 15 to battle rising read news >>

Alexandre Bezerra Feels No Pressure Heading into Titan FC Title Fight | MMAWeekly.com

Alexandre Bezerra will look to keep his winning streak going when he makes his Titan FC debut on Friday to challenge Andre Harrison for the 145-pound title. read news >>

Dustin Poirier: 'Michael Johnson Can't Last 25 Minutes with Me' (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Dustin Poirier will try to extend his UFC winning streak to five when he takes on Michael Johnson in a battle of lightweight contenders at UFC Fight Night Hidalgo. read news >>

Defined by her courage, Cyborg protects undefeated streak

Courageous Cris Cyborg was destined to become the best women's fighter on the planet because of her undying belief in her ability as a fighter and as a person. Cyborg headlines Fight Night Brasilia a read news >>

FIGHT PASS Preview: Fight Night Brasilia

This weekend’s UFC FIGHT PASS Featured Bout will continue the streak of intriguing matchups, as Scottish lightweight Stevie Ray travels to Brasilia to take on home country favorite Alan Patrick. Chec read news >>

How Did Michael Bisping React When Dana White Said, 'You're Fighting Dan Henderson'? (video) | MMAWeekly.com

Still hungover from winning a UFC title, how did Michael Bisping react when he was told his first defense would be a rematch with Dan Henderson? read news >>

Renan Barao Decisions Phillipe Nover at UFC Brasilia | MMAWeekly.com

Former bantamweight champ Renan Barao snapped a two-fight losing streak on Saturday, defeating Phillipe Nover in the UFC Fight Night Brasilia co-main event . read news >>

Joe Silva's Shoes: What's next for 'Cyborg' and UFC Fight Night 95's other winning fighters?

• a day ago

With UFC Fight Night 95 in the rearview mirror, it’s time to look forward, put on a pair of Joe Silva and Sean Shelby’s shoes, and play UFC matchmaker for the winning fighters.Filed under: Featured V read news >>

UFC Fight Night 95 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

• a day ago

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 95 event in Brasilia, Brazil, several of the winning and losing fighters, along with their coaches, training partners or family members, took to social media to r read news >>

CM Punk Never Really Had a Shot at Winning in the UFC

In his MMA and UFC debut at UFC 203 on Saturday night, CM Punk got beaten up. Drubbed. Shellacked. Dominated. Mollywhopped. Trounced. Clobbered. Crushed. Thrashed. You get the idea. The 37-year-old f read news >>