Junior Assuncao has won six consecutive fights. | Photo: Dave Mandel

Armed with a six-fight winning streak and the invaluable experience that comes with having dealt with adversity, Junior Assuncao wants a second crack at UFC glory.

The 30-year-old lost two of his three fights in the Octagon between October 2006 and September 2007 and readily admits he was ill-prepared for the challenges he faced at the time. A first-round submission defeat to “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 5 winner Nate Diaz at UFC Fight Night 11 cost him his spot on the UFC roster, but Assuncao, not easily dissuaded, has gone 7-1 since.

“When I first fought in the UFC, I was 4-1 with [only] one amateur fight,” Assuncao told Sherdog.com. “I think I’ve improved a lot. I had a full-time job then, so I think my first stint in the UFC was a little premature. I didn’t really know how to fight. Nowadays, I’m a full-time fighter, so that’s all I do.”

Since leaving the UFC, Assuncao has captured the vacant Xtreme Fighting Championships lightweight crown and competed for six different promotions. He last fought in March, when he submitted Cage Rage veteran Wesley Murch with a rear-naked choke in just 92 seconds at Recife Fighting Championship 4 in his native Brazil. Assuncao believes he has what it takes to succeed in the UFC.

“The UFC is a great organization with tons of good fighters,” he said. “I can guarantee I’ll contribute to great fights for the fans. There are other great organizations out there, but I have unfinished business with the UFC. When I left the UFC, I was 30 percent of the fighter I am now. It has been almost four years, so I have also matured a lot.”

Assuncao (12-4), a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt and skilled capoeira practitioner, recently relocated to the American Top Team-affiliated Hardcore Gym in Athens, Ga., where he trains under Adam Singer and his brother, UFC veteran Rory Singer.

“I have known these guys for a long time,” Assuncao said. “We belong to the same jiu-jitsu bloodline -- Roberto Traven -- so it was an easy transition. I’ve been there for about seven months now.”

Assuncao has finished his last three foes inside one round as part of his career-best six-fight winning streak. His list of victims includes International Fight League veteran and “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 9 alum Mark Miller, whom he knocked out under the Recife Fighting Championship banner in December. Assuncao has tried to cover all his bases and even turned over his students to younger brother Freddy Assuncao, in order to dedicate himself fully to training. His other brother, 29-year-old Raphael Assuncao, currently competes in the UFC’s featherweight division.

“All of my energy is focused on training and staying in shape, so I can take a fight on short-notice if I have to,” he said. “I have been training full-time when I’m not supporting my brothers with their fights. I think I finally feel comfortable in the cage.”

Bellator 137 winner Fernando Gonzalez wants biggest names in welterweight division

TEMECULA, Calif. – Fernando Gonzalez believes his four-fight Bellator MMA winning streak should be enough to earn a welterweight title shot. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Mayweather vs Pacquiao prediction: Who is winning the fight tonight?

Good things come to those who wait ... or so we hope. The most anticipated boxing match of the 21st century, Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao, takes place tonight (Sat., May 2, 2015) inside MGM Gr read news >>

UFC 187 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC 187 event in Las Vegas, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out those reactions.Fi read news >>

The Downes Side: Fight Night Adelaide Predictions

UFC/WEC veteran Dan Downes talks strategy and predictions for UFC Fight Night: Miocic vs. Hunt, taking place Saturday, May 9 (Sunday, May 10 Australian time). read news >>

Trading Shots: Who's winning – and losing – in the UFC's Reebok deal?

In this week’s Trading Shots, retired UFC/WEC fighter Danny Downes joins MMAjunkie columnist Ben Fowlkes to lend a former fighter’s perspective to the UFC’s Reebok payout numbers.Filed under: Feature read news >>

Khabib advocates title shot for Cerrone if he beats Makdessi: ‘Eight-fight win streak, this is no joke’

Khabib Nurmagomedov suggested that Donald Cerrone deserves the next title shot in the UFC lightweight division if he beats John Makdessi at UFC 187 his weekend. read news >>

UFC 187 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Reebok explains the UFC deal from the sponsor's side

Bloody Elbow spoke to an official from Reebok to get some details about their new apparel deal with the UFC Two weeks ago I had a chance to speak to Mike Lunardelli, the Business Unit Director for Re read news >>

Mayweather-Pacquiao live updates: Who is winning the fight right now?

Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao are headlining a pay-per-view (PPV) event this evening (Sat., May 2, 2015) that is being dubbed, "The Fight of the Century." We have delivered wall-to-wall coverag read news >>

The fight of the century is here! Not sure whose side to be on? Perhaps this in-depth preview will help you.

It's finally here! Well, not quite yet but in case you need any more reason to get that big fight feeling Kyle McLachlan brings you an in-depth preview of the fight of the century. You have clicked o read news >>