Junior Assuncao has won six consecutive fights. | Photo: Dave Mandel

Armed with a six-fight winning streak and the invaluable experience that comes with having dealt with adversity, Junior Assuncao wants a second crack at UFC glory.

The 30-year-old lost two of his three fights in the Octagon between October 2006 and September 2007 and readily admits he was ill-prepared for the challenges he faced at the time. A first-round submission defeat to “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 5 winner Nate Diaz at UFC Fight Night 11 cost him his spot on the UFC roster, but Assuncao, not easily dissuaded, has gone 7-1 since.

“When I first fought in the UFC, I was 4-1 with [only] one amateur fight,” Assuncao told Sherdog.com. “I think I’ve improved a lot. I had a full-time job then, so I think my first stint in the UFC was a little premature. I didn’t really know how to fight. Nowadays, I’m a full-time fighter, so that’s all I do.”

Since leaving the UFC, Assuncao has captured the vacant Xtreme Fighting Championships lightweight crown and competed for six different promotions. He last fought in March, when he submitted Cage Rage veteran Wesley Murch with a rear-naked choke in just 92 seconds at Recife Fighting Championship 4 in his native Brazil. Assuncao believes he has what it takes to succeed in the UFC.

“The UFC is a great organization with tons of good fighters,” he said. “I can guarantee I’ll contribute to great fights for the fans. There are other great organizations out there, but I have unfinished business with the UFC. When I left the UFC, I was 30 percent of the fighter I am now. It has been almost four years, so I have also matured a lot.”

Assuncao (12-4), a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt and skilled capoeira practitioner, recently relocated to the American Top Team-affiliated Hardcore Gym in Athens, Ga., where he trains under Adam Singer and his brother, UFC veteran Rory Singer.

“I have known these guys for a long time,” Assuncao said. “We belong to the same jiu-jitsu bloodline -- Roberto Traven -- so it was an easy transition. I’ve been there for about seven months now.”

Assuncao has finished his last three foes inside one round as part of his career-best six-fight winning streak. His list of victims includes International Fight League veteran and “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 9 alum Mark Miller, whom he knocked out under the Recife Fighting Championship banner in December. Assuncao has tried to cover all his bases and even turned over his students to younger brother Freddy Assuncao, in order to dedicate himself fully to training. His other brother, 29-year-old Raphael Assuncao, currently competes in the UFC’s featherweight division.

“All of my energy is focused on training and staying in shape, so I can take a fight on short-notice if I have to,” he said. “I have been training full-time when I’m not supporting my brothers with their fights. I think I finally feel comfortable in the cage.”

From Around the Web

UFC Fight Night 62's Kevin Souza had to learn to love MMA

Kevin Souza’s nine-fight winning streak may seem somewhat unlikely considering Souza was not a fan of mixed martial arts when he was boxing and brought in as a coach on Thiago Tavares’ MMA team.Filed read news >>

Means Steps in for Robertson, Faces Sullivan in Newark

Currently riding a three-fight winning streak that includes a UFC 184 stoppage of Dhiego Lima, Albuquerque's Tim Means will make a quick return to the Octagon on Saturday, April 18... read news >>

Bellator's Crazy Main Events Will Set It Apart from the UFC

Scott Coker seems to have a winning formula for television success. The formula goes a little something like this: Fill up a card with great prospects and great style fights. Upgrade your presentatio read news >>

UFC 184 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC 184 event in Los Angeles, several of the winning and losing fighterstook to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out those reactions.F read news >>

Superfight or Not, Frankie Edgar Will Be a UFC Champion Again | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar talks about the importance of winning titles over "superfight" status. read news >>

UFC: Hector Lombard says he broke Josh Barnett's nose in their 1st training encounter

UFC welterweight contender, Hector Lombard discusses his side of the story about the infamous training session(s) with Josh Barnett, the beef (or lack thereof) with Gegard Mousasi, who he wants to fi read news >>

UFC 185 results: Henry Cejudo dominates Chris Cariaso in Flyweight debut, wins unanimous decision

Olympic gold-medal winning wrestler, Henry Cejudo, made his long-awaited Flyweight debut tonight (Sat., March 14, 2104) against former title contender, Chris Cariaso, in the opening match of UFC 185 read news >>

Twitter reacts to Joanna Jedrzejczyk's title-winning TKO of Carla Esparza at UFC 185

Joanna Jedrzejczyk became just the third European-born champion in UFC history when she knocked out Carla Esparza to win the women’s strawweight championship in UFC 185’s co-headliner. Filed under: N read news >>

Twitter reacts to Rafael dos Anjos' title-winning upset of Anthony Pettis at UFC 185

Rafael dos Anjos used the most significant stage of his career to turn in his best performance to date when he upset Anthony Pettis to win the UFC lightweight championship in the UFC 185 main event.F read news >>