Junior Assuncao has won six consecutive fights. | Photo: Dave Mandel

Armed with a six-fight winning streak and the invaluable experience that comes with having dealt with adversity, Junior Assuncao wants a second crack at UFC glory.

The 30-year-old lost two of his three fights in the Octagon between October 2006 and September 2007 and readily admits he was ill-prepared for the challenges he faced at the time. A first-round submission defeat to “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 5 winner Nate Diaz at UFC Fight Night 11 cost him his spot on the UFC roster, but Assuncao, not easily dissuaded, has gone 7-1 since.

“When I first fought in the UFC, I was 4-1 with [only] one amateur fight,” Assuncao told Sherdog.com. “I think I’ve improved a lot. I had a full-time job then, so I think my first stint in the UFC was a little premature. I didn’t really know how to fight. Nowadays, I’m a full-time fighter, so that’s all I do.”

Since leaving the UFC, Assuncao has captured the vacant Xtreme Fighting Championships lightweight crown and competed for six different promotions. He last fought in March, when he submitted Cage Rage veteran Wesley Murch with a rear-naked choke in just 92 seconds at Recife Fighting Championship 4 in his native Brazil. Assuncao believes he has what it takes to succeed in the UFC.

“The UFC is a great organization with tons of good fighters,” he said. “I can guarantee I’ll contribute to great fights for the fans. There are other great organizations out there, but I have unfinished business with the UFC. When I left the UFC, I was 30 percent of the fighter I am now. It has been almost four years, so I have also matured a lot.”

Assuncao (12-4), a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt and skilled capoeira practitioner, recently relocated to the American Top Team-affiliated Hardcore Gym in Athens, Ga., where he trains under Adam Singer and his brother, UFC veteran Rory Singer.

“I have known these guys for a long time,” Assuncao said. “We belong to the same jiu-jitsu bloodline -- Roberto Traven -- so it was an easy transition. I’ve been there for about seven months now.”

Assuncao has finished his last three foes inside one round as part of his career-best six-fight winning streak. His list of victims includes International Fight League veteran and “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 9 alum Mark Miller, whom he knocked out under the Recife Fighting Championship banner in December. Assuncao has tried to cover all his bases and even turned over his students to younger brother Freddy Assuncao, in order to dedicate himself fully to training. His other brother, 29-year-old Raphael Assuncao, currently competes in the UFC’s featherweight division.

“All of my energy is focused on training and staying in shape, so I can take a fight on short-notice if I have to,” he said. “I have been training full-time when I’m not supporting my brothers with their fights. I think I finally feel comfortable in the cage.”

Gegard Mousasi on Uriah Hall Rematch: ‘It’s Time for Payback’ | MMAWeekly.com

Fifth-ranked Gegard Mousasi is riding a three-fight winning streak. His one loss in his last six fights came to Uriah Hall, but he has the chance at payback. read news >>

UFC 205 preliminary-card pre-fight facts: Khabib Nurmagomedov looks to extend epic winning streak

UFC 205 is hands down the most stacked event in UFC history – so much so that the preliminary card for Saturday’s event is worthy of its own pre-fight facts showcase.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Relive Max Holloway's Win Over Ricardo Lamas (UFC 206 Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Max Holloway extended his winning streak to nine fights at UFC 199. He looks to push it to double digits and become interim featherweight champion at UFC 206. read news >>

Conor McGregor Lost the UFC Featherweight Title but Still Has a Winning Hand

Conor McGregor remains mum on the UFC's decision to strip him of the featherweight championship, but that hasn't stopped him from sending a message. It has been five days since the fight company anno read news >>

A year after winning 'TUF 22,' TUF 24 Finale's Ryan Hall ready to show what he's worked on

• a day ago

LAS VEGAS – It’s been nearly a year since grappling ace Ryan Hall stuck to Artem Lobov like glue for three rounds en route to winning Season 22 of “The Ultimate Fighter” reality series. He’s ready to read news >>

Joe Silva's Shoes: What's next for Demetrious Johnson and TUF 24 Finale's other winning fighters?

• 3 hours ago

With another night of UFC action in the rearview mirror, it’s time to look forward, put on a pair of Joe Silva and Sean Shelby’s shoes, and play UFC matchmaker for The Ultimate Fighter 24 Finale’s wi read news >>

TUF 24 Finale reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media (welcome to Flavortown!)

• 39 minutes ago

Following Saturday’s UFC event, The Ultimate Fighter 24 Finale, in Las Vegas, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Decimates Michael Johnson (UFC 205 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Second-ranked lightweight Khabib Nurmagomedov extended his unbeaten streak to 24 fights on Saturday when he decimated sixth-ranked Michael Johnson at UFC 205. read news >>

Conor McGregor Pretends to Apologize After Winning 2nd Title at UFC 205

Conor McGregor faced the toughest opponent of his career at UFC 205 and posted what may have been his most dominant win to date. Opposite now-former lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez, McGregor lande read news >>

UFC 205 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC 205 in New York City several of the winning and losing fighters, along with their coaches, training partners or family members, took to social media to react to the event or read news >>