Junior Assuncao has won six consecutive fights. | Photo: Dave Mandel

Armed with a six-fight winning streak and the invaluable experience that comes with having dealt with adversity, Junior Assuncao wants a second crack at UFC glory.

The 30-year-old lost two of his three fights in the Octagon between October 2006 and September 2007 and readily admits he was ill-prepared for the challenges he faced at the time. A first-round submission defeat to “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 5 winner Nate Diaz at UFC Fight Night 11 cost him his spot on the UFC roster, but Assuncao, not easily dissuaded, has gone 7-1 since.

“When I first fought in the UFC, I was 4-1 with [only] one amateur fight,” Assuncao told Sherdog.com. “I think I’ve improved a lot. I had a full-time job then, so I think my first stint in the UFC was a little premature. I didn’t really know how to fight. Nowadays, I’m a full-time fighter, so that’s all I do.”

Since leaving the UFC, Assuncao has captured the vacant Xtreme Fighting Championships lightweight crown and competed for six different promotions. He last fought in March, when he submitted Cage Rage veteran Wesley Murch with a rear-naked choke in just 92 seconds at Recife Fighting Championship 4 in his native Brazil. Assuncao believes he has what it takes to succeed in the UFC.

“The UFC is a great organization with tons of good fighters,” he said. “I can guarantee I’ll contribute to great fights for the fans. There are other great organizations out there, but I have unfinished business with the UFC. When I left the UFC, I was 30 percent of the fighter I am now. It has been almost four years, so I have also matured a lot.”

Assuncao (12-4), a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt and skilled capoeira practitioner, recently relocated to the American Top Team-affiliated Hardcore Gym in Athens, Ga., where he trains under Adam Singer and his brother, UFC veteran Rory Singer.

“I have known these guys for a long time,” Assuncao said. “We belong to the same jiu-jitsu bloodline -- Roberto Traven -- so it was an easy transition. I’ve been there for about seven months now.”

Assuncao has finished his last three foes inside one round as part of his career-best six-fight winning streak. His list of victims includes International Fight League veteran and “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 9 alum Mark Miller, whom he knocked out under the Recife Fighting Championship banner in December. Assuncao has tried to cover all his bases and even turned over his students to younger brother Freddy Assuncao, in order to dedicate himself fully to training. His other brother, 29-year-old Raphael Assuncao, currently competes in the UFC’s featherweight division.

“All of my energy is focused on training and staying in shape, so I can take a fight on short-notice if I have to,” he said. “I have been training full-time when I’m not supporting my brothers with their fights. I think I finally feel comfortable in the cage.”

Hisaki Kato Not Worried About AJ Matthews at Bellator 162 | MMAWeekly.com

Hisaki Kato seeks to keep his winning ways going when he faces AJ Matthews in a main card 185-pound bout at Bellator 162 on Friday in Memphis. read news >>

Luque Replaces Good at UFC 205

Currently sporting a three-fight winning streak in which he has finished each victory before the final horn, former Ultimate Fighter standout Vicente Luque has now accepted a spot on the historic UFC read news >>

Mousasi-Hall 2 new main event in Belfast

Despite winning five of his last six, Gegard Mousasi wants to avenge that one loss in that stretch, and he'll get that chance Nov. 19 when he faces Uriah Hall in the new main event of UFC Fight Night read news >>

Smolka not content being just a 'contender'

Louis Smolka still dwells on his loss in 2014. Now, riding a four-fight win streak, Smolka is not content just being a contender. He wants to be one of the best of all time. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 96 results: So much for the KO streak – Luis Henrique da Silva taps out Joachim Christensen

PORTLAND, Ore. – For a man known for slinging leather, and whose “Frankenstein” nickname comes as much from walking through punches as anything else, Luis Henrique da Silva picked a great time to bec read news >>

Joe Silva's Shoes: What's next for John Lineker and UFC Fight Night 96's other winning fighters?

With another night of UFC action in the rearview mirror, it’s time to look forward, put on a pair of Joe Silva and Sean Shelby’s shoes, and play UFC matchmaker for UFC Fight Night 96’s winning fighte read news >>

Now on 12-fight finishing streak, Luis Henrique da Silva will fight 'tomorrow' if UFC calls

PORTLAND, Ore. – After finishing all of his first eleven pro bouts via knockout, Brazilian light heavyweight Luis Henrique ‘Frankenstein’ da Silva added a submission to his undefeated record at UFC F read news >>

UFC Fight Night 96 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Since the early days when the sport was anything but a mainstream endeavor, the MMA industry has thrived and survived through various websites, forums and, perhaps most importantly, social media plat read news >>

Dan Henderson explains what winning a UFC title means for his legacy

Dan Henderson's place in history is already set but adding a UFC title would be huge read news >>

Joe Silva's Shoes: What's next for Michael Bisping and UFC 204's other winning fighters?

with another night of UFC action in the rearview mirror, it’s time to look forward, put on a pair of Joe Silva and Sean Shelby’s shoes, and play UFC matchmaker for UFC 204’s winning fighters.Filed un read news >>