Junior Assuncao has won six consecutive fights. | Photo: Dave Mandel

Armed with a six-fight winning streak and the invaluable experience that comes with having dealt with adversity, Junior Assuncao wants a second crack at UFC glory.

The 30-year-old lost two of his three fights in the Octagon between October 2006 and September 2007 and readily admits he was ill-prepared for the challenges he faced at the time. A first-round submission defeat to “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 5 winner Nate Diaz at UFC Fight Night 11 cost him his spot on the UFC roster, but Assuncao, not easily dissuaded, has gone 7-1 since.

“When I first fought in the UFC, I was 4-1 with [only] one amateur fight,” Assuncao told Sherdog.com. “I think I’ve improved a lot. I had a full-time job then, so I think my first stint in the UFC was a little premature. I didn’t really know how to fight. Nowadays, I’m a full-time fighter, so that’s all I do.”

Since leaving the UFC, Assuncao has captured the vacant Xtreme Fighting Championships lightweight crown and competed for six different promotions. He last fought in March, when he submitted Cage Rage veteran Wesley Murch with a rear-naked choke in just 92 seconds at Recife Fighting Championship 4 in his native Brazil. Assuncao believes he has what it takes to succeed in the UFC.

“The UFC is a great organization with tons of good fighters,” he said. “I can guarantee I’ll contribute to great fights for the fans. There are other great organizations out there, but I have unfinished business with the UFC. When I left the UFC, I was 30 percent of the fighter I am now. It has been almost four years, so I have also matured a lot.”

Assuncao (12-4), a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt and skilled capoeira practitioner, recently relocated to the American Top Team-affiliated Hardcore Gym in Athens, Ga., where he trains under Adam Singer and his brother, UFC veteran Rory Singer.

“I have known these guys for a long time,” Assuncao said. “We belong to the same jiu-jitsu bloodline -- Roberto Traven -- so it was an easy transition. I’ve been there for about seven months now.”

Assuncao has finished his last three foes inside one round as part of his career-best six-fight winning streak. His list of victims includes International Fight League veteran and “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 9 alum Mark Miller, whom he knocked out under the Recife Fighting Championship banner in December. Assuncao has tried to cover all his bases and even turned over his students to younger brother Freddy Assuncao, in order to dedicate himself fully to training. His other brother, 29-year-old Raphael Assuncao, currently competes in the UFC’s featherweight division.

“All of my energy is focused on training and staying in shape, so I can take a fight on short-notice if I have to,” he said. “I have been training full-time when I’m not supporting my brothers with their fights. I think I finally feel comfortable in the cage.”

TUF 21 Finale post-fight facts: Thompson's winning streak second best at welterweight

Sunday’s UFC event saw four fights end in the opening round due to strikes. Check out more post-fight facts to come out of The Ultimate Fighter 21 Finale.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Titan FC 34's Freddy Assuncao: WSOF matchmaker Ali Abdelaziz 'a f-cking liar'

Freddy Assuncao is currently riding a seven-fight winning streak, but inactivity may be holding the 32-year-old Brazilian back from the recognition many in his position may receive.Filed under: News read news >>

Coach: Charles Oliveira should earn title shot with finish over Max Holloway

Max Holloway is riding the second-longest winning streak (6) in the UFC featherweight division, behind 145-pound champion Jose Aldo, and Charles Oliveira wants to use that as his last step towards a read news >>

UFC 190 Results: Claudia Gadelha Snaps Jessica Aguilar’s Winning Streak

Top ranked women's strawweight contender Claudia Gadelha snapped Jessica Aguilar's ten-fight winning streak at UFC 190 in Rio de Janeiro on Saturday. read news >>

The Downes Side: Fight Night San Diego Predictions

UFC/WEC veteran Dan Downes talks strategy and predictions for UFC Fight Night: Mir vs. Duffee, taking place Wednesday, July 11 read news >>

TUF 21 Finale reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Sunday’s UFC event, The Ultimate Fighter 21 Finale in Las Vegas, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Ch read news >>

UFC 189 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC 189 event in Las Vegas, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out those messages.Fil read news >>

Pic: Robbie Lawler vs. Rory MacDonald scorecard had 'Red King' winning title at UFC 189

Rory MacDonald was literally four minutes away from winning the welterweight title and returning it to Canada, according to the scorecards at last Saturday night's (July 11, 2015) UFC 189 pay-per-vie read news >>

Twitter reacts to Conor McGregor's title-winning knockout of Chad Mendes at UFC 189

Conor McGregor said he was going to knock out Chad Mendes at UFC 189, and that's exactly how it played out. "The Notorious" lived up to his word when he stopped "Money " with strikes in the second ro read news >>

UFC 189's Conor McGregor receives shoutout from Irish Grammy award-winning rock band U2

"Notorious" garners a little more support from his Irish brethren ahead of his UFC 189 interim featherweight title clash with Chad Mendes TONIGHT (Sat. July 11, 2015). If you thought having legions o read news >>