Junior Assuncao has won six consecutive fights. | Photo: Dave Mandel

Armed with a six-fight winning streak and the invaluable experience that comes with having dealt with adversity, Junior Assuncao wants a second crack at UFC glory.

The 30-year-old lost two of his three fights in the Octagon between October 2006 and September 2007 and readily admits he was ill-prepared for the challenges he faced at the time. A first-round submission defeat to “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 5 winner Nate Diaz at UFC Fight Night 11 cost him his spot on the UFC roster, but Assuncao, not easily dissuaded, has gone 7-1 since.

“When I first fought in the UFC, I was 4-1 with [only] one amateur fight,” Assuncao told Sherdog.com. “I think I’ve improved a lot. I had a full-time job then, so I think my first stint in the UFC was a little premature. I didn’t really know how to fight. Nowadays, I’m a full-time fighter, so that’s all I do.”

Since leaving the UFC, Assuncao has captured the vacant Xtreme Fighting Championships lightweight crown and competed for six different promotions. He last fought in March, when he submitted Cage Rage veteran Wesley Murch with a rear-naked choke in just 92 seconds at Recife Fighting Championship 4 in his native Brazil. Assuncao believes he has what it takes to succeed in the UFC.

“The UFC is a great organization with tons of good fighters,” he said. “I can guarantee I’ll contribute to great fights for the fans. There are other great organizations out there, but I have unfinished business with the UFC. When I left the UFC, I was 30 percent of the fighter I am now. It has been almost four years, so I have also matured a lot.”

Assuncao (12-4), a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt and skilled capoeira practitioner, recently relocated to the American Top Team-affiliated Hardcore Gym in Athens, Ga., where he trains under Adam Singer and his brother, UFC veteran Rory Singer.

“I have known these guys for a long time,” Assuncao said. “We belong to the same jiu-jitsu bloodline -- Roberto Traven -- so it was an easy transition. I’ve been there for about seven months now.”

Assuncao has finished his last three foes inside one round as part of his career-best six-fight winning streak. His list of victims includes International Fight League veteran and “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 9 alum Mark Miller, whom he knocked out under the Recife Fighting Championship banner in December. Assuncao has tried to cover all his bases and even turned over his students to younger brother Freddy Assuncao, in order to dedicate himself fully to training. His other brother, 29-year-old Raphael Assuncao, currently competes in the UFC’s featherweight division.

“All of my energy is focused on training and staying in shape, so I can take a fight on short-notice if I have to,” he said. “I have been training full-time when I’m not supporting my brothers with their fights. I think I finally feel comfortable in the cage.”

From Around the Web

Hindsight - UFC Fight Night: Gonzaga vs. Cro Cop 2 in retrospect

Nobody's winning. One side is just losing slower than the other.* Sometimes it really does feel that way in MMA. The result may end on a win or a loss for one man or another, but the number of fans l read news >>

UFC on FOX 15 winner Beneil Dariush leaves 'the entertainment stuff' to the UFC

Beneil Dariush ran his winning streak to four with his unanimous decision victory over Jim Miller at UFC on FOX 15. The win over Miller was arguably the biggest of the 25-year-old’s young career.File read news >>

UFC Fight Night 64 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 64 event in Krakow, Poland, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out th read news >>

Knockout Radio Podcast: The Legal Side of Cornering and TUF Winner Eddie Gordon

Join Knockout Radio for the podcast of their April 9 broadcast featuring special guest legal analyst Danny Alvarez and TUF 19 winner Eddie "Truck" Gordon. read news >>

Knockout Radio Live: The Legal Side of Cornering and and TUF Winner Eddie Gordon

Tune in Thursday, April 9, at 6 p.m. EST, for Knockout Radio LIVE with special guest legal analyst Danny Alvarez and TUF 19 winner Eddie "Truck" Gordon. read news >>

Bellator 136's Marcin Held Seeks Rematch with Dave Jansen After Sarnavskiy

It's more than a little hard to believe Marcin Held is just 23 years old. For starters, he's been a professional mixed martial artist since September of 2008, a span of nearly seven years (that made read news >>

The Downes Side - UFN Krakow 2015 Predictions

UFC/WEC veteran Dan Downes talks strategy and predictions for UFC Fight Night: Gonzaga vs. Cro Cop 2, taking place Saturday, April 11. read news >>

UFC says it's 'surprised' by judge's decision to side with Bellator over Rampage Jackson

After Quinton Jackson lost a preliminary injunction hearing on Monday, thereby preventing him from competing against Fabio Maldonado at UFC 186 later this month. The UFC has been quiet about the matt read news >>

UFC Fight Night 63 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 63 event in Fairfax, Va., several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out thos read news >>