Junior Assuncao has won six consecutive fights. | Photo: Dave Mandel

Armed with a six-fight winning streak and the invaluable experience that comes with having dealt with adversity, Junior Assuncao wants a second crack at UFC glory.

The 30-year-old lost two of his three fights in the Octagon between October 2006 and September 2007 and readily admits he was ill-prepared for the challenges he faced at the time. A first-round submission defeat to “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 5 winner Nate Diaz at UFC Fight Night 11 cost him his spot on the UFC roster, but Assuncao, not easily dissuaded, has gone 7-1 since.

“When I first fought in the UFC, I was 4-1 with [only] one amateur fight,” Assuncao told Sherdog.com. “I think I’ve improved a lot. I had a full-time job then, so I think my first stint in the UFC was a little premature. I didn’t really know how to fight. Nowadays, I’m a full-time fighter, so that’s all I do.”

Since leaving the UFC, Assuncao has captured the vacant Xtreme Fighting Championships lightweight crown and competed for six different promotions. He last fought in March, when he submitted Cage Rage veteran Wesley Murch with a rear-naked choke in just 92 seconds at Recife Fighting Championship 4 in his native Brazil. Assuncao believes he has what it takes to succeed in the UFC.

“The UFC is a great organization with tons of good fighters,” he said. “I can guarantee I’ll contribute to great fights for the fans. There are other great organizations out there, but I have unfinished business with the UFC. When I left the UFC, I was 30 percent of the fighter I am now. It has been almost four years, so I have also matured a lot.”

Assuncao (12-4), a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt and skilled capoeira practitioner, recently relocated to the American Top Team-affiliated Hardcore Gym in Athens, Ga., where he trains under Adam Singer and his brother, UFC veteran Rory Singer.

“I have known these guys for a long time,” Assuncao said. “We belong to the same jiu-jitsu bloodline -- Roberto Traven -- so it was an easy transition. I’ve been there for about seven months now.”

Assuncao has finished his last three foes inside one round as part of his career-best six-fight winning streak. His list of victims includes International Fight League veteran and “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 9 alum Mark Miller, whom he knocked out under the Recife Fighting Championship banner in December. Assuncao has tried to cover all his bases and even turned over his students to younger brother Freddy Assuncao, in order to dedicate himself fully to training. His other brother, 29-year-old Raphael Assuncao, currently competes in the UFC’s featherweight division.

“All of my energy is focused on training and staying in shape, so I can take a fight on short-notice if I have to,” he said. “I have been training full-time when I’m not supporting my brothers with their fights. I think I finally feel comfortable in the cage.”

UFC Fight Night 77's Jimmie Rivera is a teacher first, fighter second

Jimmie Rivera is on a 16-fight winning streak and made his UFC debut with a sub-90 second knockout win att UFC Fight Night 72. You might expect that fighting is his overwhelming passion with that lev read news >>

NOS® Energy Drink MMA Rankings, Nov. 10: Thomas Almeida jumps up the rankings

After running his winning streak to 20 with a UFC Fight Night 77 knockout of Anthony Birchak, undefeated Thomas Almeida has jumped up two spots in the latest NOS Energy Drink MMA Rankings.Filed under read news >>

UFC Fight Night 77 post-fight facts: Almeida's winning streak hits 20, KO record and more

The UFC's final stop in Brazil this year was a good one. Eight of 13 fights ended in a stoppage and multiple UFC record were set or tied. [autotag]Vitor Belfort[/autotag] (25-11 MMA, 14-7 UFC) scored read news >>

Efrain Escudero has newfound confidence – and a hashtag to go with it

MONTERREY, Mexico – Efrain Escudero is riding a two-fight winning streak in the UFC for the first time since 2009. “The Ultimate Fighter 8” winner credits his octagon resurgence to an overhaul in the read news >>

UFC's Jessica Aguilar discusses injury prior to Claudia Gadelha loss

Entering the UFC riding a 10-fight winning streak and in the conversation of best strawweights on the planet, Jessica Aguilar had a lot to live up to in her octagon debut.Filed under: Featured Videos read news >>

The Downes Side: UFC 193 Predictions

UFC / WEC veteran Dan Downes talks strategy and predictions for UFC 193: Rousey vs. Holm, taking place Saturday, November 14... read news >>

UFC Fight Night 77 results: Johnny Case runs streak to 12, outpoints Yan Cabral

SAO PAULO – Johnny Case survived an early scare on the mat against a submission-minded Yan Cabral and rallied late in a close, action-packed fight. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

What really mattered at UFC Fight Night 77: Almeida's bonuses, 'Cowboy,' Rivera's streak

If you missed this past weekend’s event, check out what really mattered at UFC Fight Night 77.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 77 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 77, fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>