jessica-andrade-1.jpgUFC newcomer Jessica Andrade‘s bright smile hides a fierce martial arts competitor.

The only grin bigger than hers during an open workout in support of UFC on FOX 8 belonged to her opponent, recent bantamweight title challenger Liz Carmouche.

But Andrade’s nickname is also “Bate Estaca,” which in Portuguese means “Pile Driver.” It’s an illegal move in MMA, and one that immediately prompts howls for point deductions.

Andrade, a blue belt in jiu-jitsu who lives in the city of Niteroi in the state of Rio de Janeiro, earned it during a grappling competition in which she faced a larger opponent. During their match, she was caught in an armbar, and in a panic, picked up the opponent and slammed her on her head.

She doesn’t believe in cheating, of course, but she’s kept the name throughout her 11-fight career because it just might serve a purpose in the UFC.

“I think it’s a cool nickname if it puts fear in the hearts of my opponents,” Andrade told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

Andrade (9-2 MMA, 0-0 UFC) and Carmouche (8-3 MMA, 0-1 UFC) open the main card of UFC on FOX 8, which takes place Saturday at Seattle’s KeyArena and airs live on FOX. Andrade steps up on short notice as a replacement for ex-Strikeforce champ Miesha Tate, who was tapped to coach “The Ultimate Fighter 18? and fight champ Ronda Rousey when title challenger Cat Zingano was injured.

The 5-foot-3 Andrade walked away from five scheduled fights in six months to accept the bout with Carmouche, who returns to the octagon after a submission loss to Rousey in February.

The opponents share a background in jiu-jitsu, though Andrade also has cut her teeth against bigger and more seasoned strikers recently in her 11-fight career.

“I already fought Duda Yankovich, a boxing champion, and she was a lot bigger,” said Andrade. “I submitted her and won the fight. Against Liz, what’s going to matter is who wants it the most, (and) who has the most heart.”

Andrade,who’s won her past two fights, sees similarities in their mentalities when they step in the cage.

“She is as brutal as I am, both standing and on the ground,” said Andrade of Carmouche, who is a former Marine. “I know it’s going to be a great fight. And I’m going there to bring home the win. I’m sure she’ll be trying to do the same.”

Andrade said her family inspires her to find success in MMA. Initially, she said her mother was against her competing in the sport, but was convinced when she performed.

“Yes, both my father and mother support me a lot,” she said. “My mother was reluctant at first. She used to think the sport was too violent. But then she realized that it was both my talent and my dream, and that I would be able to help her out.

“Now, every time I felt like quitting, she’s been there to keep me focused, to push me forward.”

But it’s also her coaches, who saw her ferocious spirit on the mats, that also keep her sharp for what’s undoubtedly the biggest opportunity of her professional career.

“I just want to point out that an athlete is nothing without his or her coaching staff,” Andrade said. “My coaches say to give three kicks and a punch – that’s exactly what I’ll do. I have total trust in them.”

For the latest on UFC on FOX 8, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Did Joanna Jedrzejczyk pull off the best sight gag trash talk in MMA history?

Using a fighter’s name, or nickname, as fodder for pre-fight trash talk has been done before. Did Joanna Jedrzejczyk elevate the craft to a new level this week? Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

MMAjunkie Radio (noon ET): UFC on FOX 16's Bryan Caraway (in studio)

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) with in-studio guest and co-host Bryan Caraway. Filed under: MMAjunkie Radio, News, Radio, UFC read news >>

Velasquez vs. Werdum: Result and Post-Fight Comments from UFC 188

Fabricio Werdum's nickname is Vai Cavalo, but perhaps it should be "The Legend Killer." On Saturday night at UFC 188, the 37-year-old knocked off another seemingly indestructible opponent and became read news >>

Albert Tumenov vs. Andrew Todhunter removed from UFC 188 lineup

Albert Tumenov will not be fighting newcomer Andrew Todhunter on tomorrow's UFC 188 after Todhunter passed out while cutting weight. Having already lost his original opponent to injury, UFC welterwei read news >>

Tecia Torres' Title Hopes are Stronger than Ever

Considering that Tecia Torres’ nickname is “Tiny Tornado,” patience is probably not one of her greatest attributes, but that's part of her charm. Let’s face it, who wants to see a fighter who has a read news >>

Myles Jury Out, Paul Felder in Against Edson Barboza at UFC on Fox 16 in Chicago

UFC lightweight Myles "Fury" Jury has suffered an undisclosed injury, forcing him out of his scheduled clash with Edson Barboza at UFC on Fox 16 in Chicago. Stepping up in Jury's place at the July 25 read news >>

Myles Jury Injured, Edson Barboza Draws New UFC on FOX 16 Opponent

The UFC on FOX 16 bout between former lightweight champion Anthony Pettis and Myles Jury is officially no more. read news >>

Myles Jury out, Paul Felder in to face Edson Barboza at UFC on FOX 16

A lightweight fight between Anthony Pettis and Myles Jury has now turned into Paul Felder vs. Edson Barboza at this July's UFC on Fox card in Chicago. When UFC on FOX 16 was initially announced, one read news >>

Myles Jury out, Paul Felder in against Edson Barboza at UFC on FOX 16

The lightweight carousel continues to churn for UFC on FOX 16, and Myles Jury is its latest casualty. The UFC announced Tuesday that Jury has pulled out of the July 25 event due to injury. Undefeated read news >>

Myles Jury injured: Paul Felder booked to face Edson Barboza at UFC on FOX 16 on July 25

This fight was originally Anthony Pettis vs. Myles Jury, but "Showtime" got hurt and was replaced by Edson Barboza. Now Jury is injured and unable to compete, so Paul Felder will step in on short not read news >>