UFC officials recently announced that Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Fabricio Werdum will coach the second season of “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil,” after which the heavyweights will toss aside their clipboards and strap on their gloves for a rematch that Nogueira says he is already eagerly anticipating.

“I’m very happy to fight Fabricio Werdum,” Nogueira said during a media conference call on Thursday. “He’s a very high-level opponent, and I’m pretty sure we’re going to make a really good fight.”

Nogueira and Werdum previously met in the quarterfinals of Pride’s 2006 open-weight grand prix, with “Minotauro” emerging victorious via unanimous decision. Six years after their initial showdown, Nogueira says that another victory over Werdum could propel him toward a return to the heavyweight division’s upper echelon.

“This next fight is going to be very important for me, because each fight that you win or lose is either one step forward or one step back,” said Nogueira. “I want to be between those guys in the Top-5.”

Nogueira recently returned to competition after spending 10 months on the shelf with a broken arm courtesy of Frank Mir at UFC 140. The former Pride champion stepped up on short notice to face Dave Herman three weeks ago at UFC 153, submitting his younger foe with a second-round armbar in front of a raucous crowd in Rio de Janeiro.

“This fight against Herman, for sure, was a challenge for me, because I just got back from my injury. They put 16 screws in my arm,” said Nogueira. “Coming back and fighting in Brazil was a big challenge and a big step. It was very important to me. I’m back again, and I want to fight the best guys.”

Should Nogueira get past Werdum, who is currently ranked fourth in the world, the veteran’s stock would surely rise. However, even if the 36-year-old continues to post big wins, his path to the title would still be impeded by his friend and training partner Junior dos Santos, who currently sits atop the heavyweight mountain. While Nogueira is still adamant that he would not challenge his teammate for the belt, the veteran says he would jump at the chance to fight for the championship under any other circumstance.

“I have no [desire] to fight Junior dos Santos. He’s my friend, and he’s my training partner. I saw this guy train since he was a purple belt,” said Nogueira. “But if there is ever a chance or a day when he does not have the title anymore, for sure, I would love to fight for the belt. That’s the goal of everyone in the heavyweight division.”

Alexander Gustafsson vs. Rogerio Nogueira Headlines Next UFC Event in Brazil | MMAWeekly.com

UFC officials announced that Alexander Gustafsson and Rogerio Nogueira would headline UFC Fight Night Sao Paulo, adding a slew of other bouts to the card. read news >>

Former WWE Champion Alberto Rodriguez Joins Combate Americas as President | MMAWeekly.com

Combate Americas recently announced that it has named former WWE champion and former MMA star Alberto Rodriguez as its president. read news >>

Cain Velasquez vs. Fabricio Werdum Announced for UFC 207: Comments, Reaction

• a day ago

Cain Velasquez lost to Fabricio Werdum by third-round submission at UFC 188 in June 2015, but the promotion announced Thursday that the 34-year-old will have a shot at redemption. According to the Lo read news >>

Werdum-Velasquez rematch set for UFC 207

There will be no world championship on the line when Fabricio Werdum and Cain Velasquez meet for the second time in a UFC 207 bout on Friday, December 30 in Las Vegas. But don’t expect there to be an read news >>

UFC 207 Gets Two More Huge Fights | FIGHTLAND

• a day ago

Photo by Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC Earlier this month, it was announced that former women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey would finally be making her return to the Octagon in the main event of UFC 2 read news >>

UFC's Abdul-Kerim Edilov Accepts Anti-Doping Sanction | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

USADA announced today that UFC athlete, Abdul-Kerim Edilov, of the Chechen Republic, Russia, has accepted a 15-month sanction for an anti-doping policy violation. read news >>

USADA: UFC's Abdul-Kerim Edilov accepts anti-doping sanction, suspended 15 months

• 22 hours ago

The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) today announced Abdul-Kerim Edilov has accepted a sanction for his anti-doping policy violation.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Breaking down Werdum-Velasquez 2

• a day ago

The long-anticipated rematch between Fabricio Werdum and Cain Velasquez at UFC 207 in Las Vegas closes out 2016 with what has now become a can’t-miss card, one that also features the return of Ronda read news >>

UFC 207 opening odds: Cain Velasquez the favorite over fellow ex-champ Fabricio Werdum

• 22 minutes ago

Who emerges victorious in UFC 207’s clash of former heavyweight champions?Filed under: News read news >>

'TUF 24' prospect Matt Schnell wasn't keen on taking another reality TV road to the UFC

Matt Schnell had been down the reality TV road before. It wasn’t something that was on the top of his list for things to do again, necessarily.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>