UFC officials recently announced that Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Fabricio Werdum will coach the second season of “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil,” after which the heavyweights will toss aside their clipboards and strap on their gloves for a rematch that Nogueira says he is already eagerly anticipating.

“I’m very happy to fight Fabricio Werdum,” Nogueira said during a media conference call on Thursday. “He’s a very high-level opponent, and I’m pretty sure we’re going to make a really good fight.”

Nogueira and Werdum previously met in the quarterfinals of Pride’s 2006 open-weight grand prix, with “Minotauro” emerging victorious via unanimous decision. Six years after their initial showdown, Nogueira says that another victory over Werdum could propel him toward a return to the heavyweight division’s upper echelon.

“This next fight is going to be very important for me, because each fight that you win or lose is either one step forward or one step back,” said Nogueira. “I want to be between those guys in the Top-5.”

Nogueira recently returned to competition after spending 10 months on the shelf with a broken arm courtesy of Frank Mir at UFC 140. The former Pride champion stepped up on short notice to face Dave Herman three weeks ago at UFC 153, submitting his younger foe with a second-round armbar in front of a raucous crowd in Rio de Janeiro.

“This fight against Herman, for sure, was a challenge for me, because I just got back from my injury. They put 16 screws in my arm,” said Nogueira. “Coming back and fighting in Brazil was a big challenge and a big step. It was very important to me. I’m back again, and I want to fight the best guys.”

Should Nogueira get past Werdum, who is currently ranked fourth in the world, the veteran’s stock would surely rise. However, even if the 36-year-old continues to post big wins, his path to the title would still be impeded by his friend and training partner Junior dos Santos, who currently sits atop the heavyweight mountain. While Nogueira is still adamant that he would not challenge his teammate for the belt, the veteran says he would jump at the chance to fight for the championship under any other circumstance.

“I have no [desire] to fight Junior dos Santos. He’s my friend, and he’s my training partner. I saw this guy train since he was a purple belt,” said Nogueira. “But if there is ever a chance or a day when he does not have the title anymore, for sure, I would love to fight for the belt. That’s the goal of everyone in the heavyweight division.”

UFC Hall of Famer Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Carries Olympic Torch in Rio

Not only was Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira honored by being inducted in the UFC Hall of Fame this summer, he also carried the Olympic torch. read news >>

UFC Hall of Famer Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Carries Olympic Torch in Rio

From Yahoo Sports: Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira has long been considered one of the most respected fighters not only in the UFC, but in all of mixed martial arts. He has been a champion under both the Pr read news >>

John Lineker vs. John Dodson Headlines UFC Fight Night 96

John Lineker will face John Dodson at UFC Fight Night 96 on Oct. 1, officials announced on Saturday afternoon. read news >>

Where Are They Now? Episode 6: Shonie Carter

Shonie Carter showed up to the Comeback season of TUF with a suitcase of neon shirts and an even louder personality. What’s he been doing since? read news >>

Michael Bisping vs. Dan Henderson II Announced: Latest Details and Reaction

Michael Bisping will put his UFC middleweight title on the line in his home town of Manchester against veteran Dan Henderson on October 8. The fight will headline UFC 204 and was confirmed by the UFC read news >>

Ricardo Lamas vs. BJ Penn Announced for UFC Manila: Latest Details and Reaction

Ricardo Lamas will face BJ Penn in UFC Manila's headline fight, the UFC announced on Monday. UFC Asia tweeted the news: The featherweights will step into the Octagon on Saturday, October 15. More to read news >>

Penn vs. Lamas Headlines Manila Event

UFC, the world’s premier MMA organization, has announced its main event for UFC FIGHT NIGHT Manila. This year’s card will be headlined by a five-round featherweight bout between returning read news >>

VIDEO: Nick Diaz, Recently Back from Suspension, Feuds with USADA

So, Nick Diaz is fresh off of an 18-month suspension. But just days removed from the end of his exile, Diaz is already embroiled in a bitter battle with USADA. read news >>

World Series of Fighting Hits Madison Square Garden on New Year’s Eve

World Series of Fighting announced that it will bring its championship fight series to Madison Square Garden on New Year's Eve. read news >>

Invicta FC 19 Headlined by Two Title Fights, Including Maia vs. Modafferi

Invicta Fighting Championships announced on Wednesday its return to Scottish Rite Temple in Kansas City, Mo. on Friday, Sept. 23. read news >>