Jim Miller's ground game came in handy against Melvin Guillard. | Photo: Dave Mandel

Jim Miller might have walked out of UFC on FX 1 with a victory, but it did not come easily.

The New Jersey native found himself in trouble early in his headlining lightweight affair against Melvin Guillard, as “The Young Assassin” floored the AMA Fight Club talent with a hard left hand and looked for a potential finish as Miller tried to regain his senses.

“Melvin, tonight he hit me harder than anybody has hit me,” Miller told Fox Sports after the bout. “My head hurts a little bit. It doesn’t happen often that I get knocked down, but Melvin is an animal. I knew he was capable of that. Luckily, I went on autopilot. I don’t really remember what happened after he knocked me down until I basically had his back.”

In addition to his sharp punches, Guillard threatened early and often with a flying knee, missing the strike narrowly several times in the course of the bout’s opening minutes. Guillard’s last attempt at the move would be his last, however, as Miller caught the technique and planted Guillard on the canvas.

“I was thinking, I’ve got to stop him from doing this, because one of these times he’s going to hit me on the chin with that knee,” said Miller. “I had to do something to make him pay, but I just didn’t get the opportunity to get anything in there [before the takedown].”

As Guillard attempted to escape bottom position and regain his vertical base, Miller showed off his tight jiu-jitsu, taking the hunched Guillard’s back and riding the Imperial Athletics representative back to the canvas. From there, it was academic, as Miller found the required leverage to finish his foe with a rear-naked choke.

“I don’t know if it’s my favorite position, but [taking the back] is just something I do naturally,” said Miller. “It’s like Velcro. I stick to guys’ backs, and I get the finish from there a lot.”

With the win, Miller successfully rebounded from his August defeat to current No. 1 contender Ben Henderson, Miller’s first loss since falling to Gray Maynard in 2009. While the 28-year-old declined to call anyone out in his post-fight interview, Miller did indicate that he still has his eye on the belt currently sitting around the waist of Frankie Edgar.

“Hopefully I’ll get another tough fight and get back on that road to a title shot,” said Miller. “That’s what I want.”

Thiago Santos vs. Eric Spicely | UFC Fight Night Highlights

Eric Spicely walked into the Octagon and finished the number-15 ranked Thiago Santos. read news >>

Fight Night Brasilia bonuses: Who got $$$?

Who won the UFC Fight Night Brasilia performance bonuses? Find out who walked away with an extra $50,000. read news >>

Charles 'Krazy Horse' Bennett Puts on Performance for the Ages at Rizin FF 2

At Rizin Fighting Federation 2, Charles Bennett talked the talk, then walked the walk, then talked the talk some more. And when it was all done, he had singlehandedly fashioned one of the most memora read news >>

UFC Fight Night 96 early weigh-in results and live video stream (noon ET)

BRASILIA, Brazil – MMAjunkie is on scene and reporting live from Friday’s early UFC Fight Night 96 fighter weigh-ins. Join us for a live video stream and official results.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

John Lineker, Two Other UFC Portland Fighters Miss the Mark at Official Early Weigh-in | MMAWeekly.com

Two fighters missed the mark, one by 5.5 pounds, at the official UFC Fight Night: Lineker vs. Dodson early weigh-in on Friday in Portland, Ore. read news >>

The Aspirational Appeal of Gigi Hadid's Elbow | FIGHTLAND

Last Thursday, September 22, notorious fashion industry scourge Vitalii Sediuk walked up behind model Gigi Hadid as she was leaving a fashion show in Milan, grabbed her from behind and lifted her off read news >>

UFC Middleweight Josh Samman Found Unresponsive | MMAWeekly.com

UFC middleweight Josh Samman was found unresponsive early Friday morning in South Florida. read news >>

Fight Night Portland bonuses: Who got $$$?

Who won the UFC Fight Night Portland performance bonuses? Find out who walked away with an extra $50,000. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 96 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Since the early days when the sport was anything but a mainstream endeavor, the MMA industry has thrived and survived through various websites, forums and, perhaps most importantly, social media plat read news >>

UFC 204 early weigh-in results and live video stream (8 a.m. ET)

MANCHESTER, England – MMAjunkie is on scene and reporting live from today’s early 204 fighter weigh-ins, which kick off at 8 a.m. ET (5 a.m. PT).Filed under: News, UFC read news >>