Jim Miller's ground game came in handy against Melvin Guillard. | Photo: Dave Mandel

Jim Miller might have walked out of UFC on FX 1 with a victory, but it did not come easily.

The New Jersey native found himself in trouble early in his headlining lightweight affair against Melvin Guillard, as “The Young Assassin” floored the AMA Fight Club talent with a hard left hand and looked for a potential finish as Miller tried to regain his senses.

“Melvin, tonight he hit me harder than anybody has hit me,” Miller told Fox Sports after the bout. “My head hurts a little bit. It doesn’t happen often that I get knocked down, but Melvin is an animal. I knew he was capable of that. Luckily, I went on autopilot. I don’t really remember what happened after he knocked me down until I basically had his back.”

In addition to his sharp punches, Guillard threatened early and often with a flying knee, missing the strike narrowly several times in the course of the bout’s opening minutes. Guillard’s last attempt at the move would be his last, however, as Miller caught the technique and planted Guillard on the canvas.

“I was thinking, I’ve got to stop him from doing this, because one of these times he’s going to hit me on the chin with that knee,” said Miller. “I had to do something to make him pay, but I just didn’t get the opportunity to get anything in there [before the takedown].”

As Guillard attempted to escape bottom position and regain his vertical base, Miller showed off his tight jiu-jitsu, taking the hunched Guillard’s back and riding the Imperial Athletics representative back to the canvas. From there, it was academic, as Miller found the required leverage to finish his foe with a rear-naked choke.

“I don’t know if it’s my favorite position, but [taking the back] is just something I do naturally,” said Miller. “It’s like Velcro. I stick to guys’ backs, and I get the finish from there a lot.”

With the win, Miller successfully rebounded from his August defeat to current No. 1 contender Ben Henderson, Miller’s first loss since falling to Gray Maynard in 2009. While the 28-year-old declined to call anyone out in his post-fight interview, Miller did indicate that he still has his eye on the belt currently sitting around the waist of Frankie Edgar.

“Hopefully I’ll get another tough fight and get back on that road to a title shot,” said Miller. “That’s what I want.”

VIDEO: Miesha Tate Preps for UFC 200 in Open Workout at Xtreme Couture

UFC women's bantamweight champion Miesha Tate goes through an early open workout ahead of her UFC 200 title defense against Amanda Nunes. read news >>

UFC 200 Is Set Following Tension Filled Morning Weigh-Ins

UFC 200 is on! The new trend of early weigh-ins has been a success thus far, but UFC 200 is the gift that keeps giving. Although Dana White and company may not be wanting these kinds of gifts. The fi read news >>

VIDEO: Jim Miller Considered Retiring, Discovered He was Battling Lyme Disease Before UFC 200

Jim Miller talks about his win over Takanori Gomi at UFC 200 and how he considered retiring. But then doctors discovered he had Lyme Disease, which is manageable. read news >>

Jim Miller vs. Takanori Gomi: Results, Winner and Reaction from UFC 200

Jim Miller made sure UFC 200 started with a bang. So did Takanori Gomi, in his own way. Gomi, the Japanese legend and former Pride lightweight kingpin, suffered his third consecutive first-round knoc read news >>

UFC 200 starts with three quick TKO's

UFC 200 got off to a quick start as Jim Miller, Gegard Mousasi and Joe Lauzon all recorded first round TKO's to start an historic night. read news >>

Jim Miller vs. Joe Lauzon Rematch Added to UFC on FOX 21

Jim Miller and Joe Lauzon are poised to fight at UFC on FOX 21 in a rematch of their epic battle that dates back to UFC 155, which closed out 2012. read news >>

UFC on FOX 20 Weigh-in Results: Holm vs. Shevchenko Gets the Green Light

The UFC on FOX 20 early weigh-ins took place Friday morning in Chicago, where all the fighters left on the card made weight. read news >>

UFC on Fox 20 Video Highlights: Francis Ngannou Finishes Bojan Mihajlovic Early

• 17 hours ago

Heavyweights Francis Ngannou and Bojan Mihajlovic threw down on the UFC on Fox 20 main card at the United Center in Chicago on Saturday. Check out the fight highlights. read news >>