Jim Miller's ground game came in handy against Melvin Guillard. | Photo: Dave Mandel

Jim Miller might have walked out of UFC on FX 1 with a victory, but it did not come easily.

The New Jersey native found himself in trouble early in his headlining lightweight affair against Melvin Guillard, as “The Young Assassin” floored the AMA Fight Club talent with a hard left hand and looked for a potential finish as Miller tried to regain his senses.

“Melvin, tonight he hit me harder than anybody has hit me,” Miller told Fox Sports after the bout. “My head hurts a little bit. It doesn’t happen often that I get knocked down, but Melvin is an animal. I knew he was capable of that. Luckily, I went on autopilot. I don’t really remember what happened after he knocked me down until I basically had his back.”

In addition to his sharp punches, Guillard threatened early and often with a flying knee, missing the strike narrowly several times in the course of the bout’s opening minutes. Guillard’s last attempt at the move would be his last, however, as Miller caught the technique and planted Guillard on the canvas.

“I was thinking, I’ve got to stop him from doing this, because one of these times he’s going to hit me on the chin with that knee,” said Miller. “I had to do something to make him pay, but I just didn’t get the opportunity to get anything in there [before the takedown].”

As Guillard attempted to escape bottom position and regain his vertical base, Miller showed off his tight jiu-jitsu, taking the hunched Guillard’s back and riding the Imperial Athletics representative back to the canvas. From there, it was academic, as Miller found the required leverage to finish his foe with a rear-naked choke.

“I don’t know if it’s my favorite position, but [taking the back] is just something I do naturally,” said Miller. “It’s like Velcro. I stick to guys’ backs, and I get the finish from there a lot.”

With the win, Miller successfully rebounded from his August defeat to current No. 1 contender Ben Henderson, Miller’s first loss since falling to Gray Maynard in 2009. While the 28-year-old declined to call anyone out in his post-fight interview, Miller did indicate that he still has his eye on the belt currently sitting around the waist of Frankie Edgar.

“Hopefully I’ll get another tough fight and get back on that road to a title shot,” said Miller. “That’s what I want.”

UFC 201 Early Weigh-in Results: Lawler vs. Woodley Set; Flyweight Bout Nixed

The UFC 201 welterweight title fight between champion Robbie Lawler and challenger Tyron Woodley is official for Saturday night's event in Atlanta. read news >>

UFC 201 Bonus Recap

Who won the UFC 201 performance bonuses at UFC 201? Tyron Woodley? Karolina Kowalkiewicz? Find out who walked away with an extra $50,000. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 92 Early Weigh-in Results: No Surprises in Salt Lake City

The UFC Fight Night 92 featherweight headliner between Yair Rodriguez and Alex Caceres is set following Friday’s early morning official weigh-in. read news >>

Conor McGregor Still Hasn't Talked with New UFC Owners, Praises Fertitta, White

A big part of the early days of Conor McGregor's UFC career was how he endeared himself with the UFC's ownership group. These new guys, though? He doesn't know them quite yet. Speaking with Ariel Hel read news >>

UFC 202 Early Weigh-in Results: Diaz vs. McGregor Rematch is Good to Go

UFC 202: Diaz vs. McGregor 2 is now set after Friday morning's early official weigh-in took place in Las Vegas. read news >>

UFC 202 Early Weigh-in Video: Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor Make it Official

This is video of Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor officially weighing in Friday morning. There is a separate afternoon, ceremonial weigh-in for fans. read news >>

UFC 202 McGregor vs. Diaz: Early Weigh-In Results and Reaction

As is the new normal with the UFC, the actual weigh-ins for UFC 202 took place early on Friday. The staredowns and show will unfold later in the evening. This process gives the fighters crucial extra read news >>

UFC 202 Video: The Exchange with Nate Diaz – The Early Years

Megan Olivi sits down with Nate Diaz ahead of his rematch against Conor McGregor and talks about his early years. read news >>

UFC 202 Bonus Recap: Who got extra $$$?

Who won the UFC 202 performance bonuses at UFC 202? Find out who walked away with an extra $50,000. read news >>

VIDEO: Mike Tyson and Skrillex Weigh In on Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz 3

Mike Tyson, Skrillex and Gordon Ramsey all walked away from UFC 202 feeling the final part in the Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz trilogy will be amazing. read news >>