Jim Miller's ground game came in handy against Melvin Guillard. | Photo: Dave Mandel

Jim Miller might have walked out of UFC on FX 1 with a victory, but it did not come easily.

The New Jersey native found himself in trouble early in his headlining lightweight affair against Melvin Guillard, as “The Young Assassin” floored the AMA Fight Club talent with a hard left hand and looked for a potential finish as Miller tried to regain his senses.

“Melvin, tonight he hit me harder than anybody has hit me,” Miller told Fox Sports after the bout. “My head hurts a little bit. It doesn’t happen often that I get knocked down, but Melvin is an animal. I knew he was capable of that. Luckily, I went on autopilot. I don’t really remember what happened after he knocked me down until I basically had his back.”

In addition to his sharp punches, Guillard threatened early and often with a flying knee, missing the strike narrowly several times in the course of the bout’s opening minutes. Guillard’s last attempt at the move would be his last, however, as Miller caught the technique and planted Guillard on the canvas.

“I was thinking, I’ve got to stop him from doing this, because one of these times he’s going to hit me on the chin with that knee,” said Miller. “I had to do something to make him pay, but I just didn’t get the opportunity to get anything in there [before the takedown].”

As Guillard attempted to escape bottom position and regain his vertical base, Miller showed off his tight jiu-jitsu, taking the hunched Guillard’s back and riding the Imperial Athletics representative back to the canvas. From there, it was academic, as Miller found the required leverage to finish his foe with a rear-naked choke.

“I don’t know if it’s my favorite position, but [taking the back] is just something I do naturally,” said Miller. “It’s like Velcro. I stick to guys’ backs, and I get the finish from there a lot.”

With the win, Miller successfully rebounded from his August defeat to current No. 1 contender Ben Henderson, Miller’s first loss since falling to Gray Maynard in 2009. While the 28-year-old declined to call anyone out in his post-fight interview, Miller did indicate that he still has his eye on the belt currently sitting around the waist of Frankie Edgar.

“Hopefully I’ll get another tough fight and get back on that road to a title shot,” said Miller. “That’s what I want.”

UFC 190 results: Shogun survives early scare, beats Minotoro Nogueira again

Check out the result of the UFC 190 co-main event between Mauricio Rua and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Ten years removed from their PRIDE classic in 2005, UFC light heavyweigh read news >>

UFC Fight Night 74 results: Nikita Krylov survives scare, taps out de Lima

SASKATOON – When Marcos Rogerio de Lima couldn’t concuss Nikita Krylov early, he banked everything on a guillotine choke – everything except Krylov’s survival.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Fedor Emlianenko, Kazushi Sakuraba and Frank Shamrock all headed to Bellator Fan Fest

Three of the biggest stars of the early days of mixed martial arts will be part of the promotion for Bellator's next tentpole event on Sept. 19 in San Jose. Bellator head Scott Coker confirmed that F read news >>

Why submission ace Dustin Hazelett walked away from UFC: He was genuinely happy

The cheering crowds are gone. There are no more $60,000 bonus checks for a job well done. However, blood, excitement, danger, adrenaline and the unknown? Those things do remain in the post-fight life read news >>

Claudia Gadelha eyes early 2016 return, vows to 'run through' Joanna Jedrzejczyk

Claudia Gadelha earned a shot at the UFC title with a win over Jessica Aguilar, and she hopes to be back inside the Octagon early next year. The Nova Uniao strawweight, who lost to Joanna Jedrzejczyk read news >>

UFC Fight Night 73 results: Jared Rosholt survives late scare to beat Timothy Johnson

NASHVILLE – In the waning seconds of a slow, and mostly one-sided heavyweight fight, Timothy Johnson seemingly found himself within one or two clean punches of knocking Jared Rosholt out to complete read news >>

UFC Fight Night 73 results: Jared Rosholt survives late scare, wins decision over Timothy Johnson

Jared Rosholt earned a unanimous decision victory over Timothy Johnson at UFC Fight 73 earlier tonight, but he nearly lost it all in the final minute of the fight after getting clipped with a big pun read news >>

UFC Fight Night 73 results: Dustin Ortiz pounds out Willie Gates in third

NASHVILLE – Early on, Tennessee native Dustin Ortiz made it clear what he thought about Willie Gates’ ground game, which wasn’t much.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Photo of Shields' eyes shows aftermath of controversial fight with 'sociopath' Palhares

Rousimar Palhares walked away from his fight with Jake Shields with just 30 percent of his potential pay and could face disciplinary action following his controversial submission win at this past Sat read news >>

UFC 190 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Since the early days when the sport was anything but a mainstream endeavor, the MMA industry has thrived and survived through various websites, forums and, perhaps most importantly, social-media plat read news >>