Cole Miller suffered a broken hand at UFC Live 5. | Photo: Dave Mandel


Cole Miller got a win at UFC Live 5, but he’s headed for another stint of rest and recovery after breaking his hand during his bout against T.J. O'Brien.

“I just did this. I had a knee injury earlier this year and I wasn’t able to train for nine weeks,” Miller said during a “Savage Dog Show” interview on the Sherdog Radio Network. “I wanted to be able to get a good win like I did and come out unscathed and hopefully get another fight before the end of the year. … But everything’s just going to have to be put on hold. It’s kind of depressing.”

Miller hadn’t fought since January. Now it looks like he’ll only fight twice in 2011.

“I’m pretty disappointed,” he said. “I’m definitely happy that I won the fight. This whole situation would be a lot worse if I had a broken hand and [was] coming off a loss, but I’m not the same usual self that I am after a nice victory. The injury’s definitely making me a little bit depressed.”

Miller submitted O’Brien with a nifty guillotine choke 2:38 into the second round. The submission is particularly impressive when you consider that he broke his hand roughly four minutes into the opening period.

“I’ve been saying it for a long time. You’re going to see all these guys getting broken hands and not because we’re wearing 4-ounce gloves but because all these guys either don’t know how to strike or they’re throwing looping overhands,” Miller said. “That’s a great way to set up takedowns and things like that, but when you’re throwing looping punches and hooking punches, you’re going to be more likely to break something.”

Due to O’Brien’s reach, Miller said he had to throw more overhands and hooks. O’Brien ducked into one of Miller’s right hooks, and the punch hit him on the top of the head, breaking Miller’s hand. Still, Miller found a way to win.

“In the second round I definitely felt the pressure,” he said. “I knew my hand was broke. I felt that sense of urgency that I needed to get the job done.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 38:42).

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Mwekassa headed to GLORY 22 FRANCE armed with “bombs and drama”

  • 2 days ago
  • 1 views

In life and in his fighting career, Zack Mwekassa (12-2, 11 KO’s) has been on a remarkable journey. Now the next stage in both is upon him as he prepares to face New York karate stylist Carlos Brooks read news >>

With Penne out, Lima meets Almeida at UFC Fight Night 67; fight moved to prelims

  • 15 days ago
  • 17 views

With Jessica Penne out of UFC Fight Night 67 and now headed to a title fight at UFC Fight Night 69, her original UFC Fight Night 67 opponent, Juliana Lima, has finally received a new foe.Filed under: read news >>

Three-time national wrestling champ Ed Ruth signs with Bellator

  • 18 days ago
  • 1 views

One of the MMA's most coveted prospects is headed to Bellator. Three-time national wrestling champion and four-time All-American Ed Ruth has signed a contract to compete in the promotion. The former read news >>

UFC 189: Brad Pickett vs. Thomas Almeida set for July 11 in Las Vegas

  • 24 days ago
  • 0 views

As promised, Brad Pickett is headed back to the bantamweight division. In doing so, he's been asked to throw down against undefeated prospect Thomas Almeida at the upcoming UFC 189: "Aldo vs. McGrego read news >>

Bellator inks multi-fight deal with UFC lightweight veteran Melvin Guillard

  • 25 days ago
  • 1 views

Melvin Guillard is headed (back) to Spike TV. The hard-hitting "Young Assassin," who made a brief (and turbulent) pit stop in World Series of Fighting (WSOF) in 2014, has inked a multi-fight, multi-y read news >>