Mike Pierce has been grinding out wins in the UFC for three years.

Last month he scored his first knockout in the Octagon, though, when he rallied to finish Aaron Simpson. Next up is Seth Baczynski at UFC on FX 6 on Dec. 14, but before that bout Pierce joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show to discuss the Simpson fight, the state of the welterweight division and more.

On getting stunned by Simpson early: “He hits pretty hard, I have to say. I’ve been hit by some pretty tough guys before, but he was the first one that really kind of wobbled me and put me in danger. I knew once I got hit, I had to go into a defensive mode and try and recover as best I could. I was able to stay alive and was coherent enough to fight off a rear-naked choke as well and then made it to the bell. It was quite an experience, one I hadn’t had before, but walking back to the corner, I knew what I had to do and readjust and gather myself and come out and fight my fight in the second round.”

On countering Simpson in the second: “I’d watched enough film on this guy to know that he had power in his right hand, and that was kind of his go-to thing. He had knocked some guys out with it. Why not throw it, right? I saw it coming there in the first round. I just didn’t get out of the way of it enough, and he still clipped me with it, wobbled me. In the second round -- I had gathered myself in between, but I knew if I was in his shoes, I would have thrown the right hand again. Why not? It worked in the first round. Do it again. I kind of felt him -- I just had this weird sense that he was getting ready to load it up again and fire it. I finally got out of the way of it and threw a short counter right of my own and it landed just perfectly.”

On when the counter landed: “As soon as I hit him, I was like, ‘Wow, that felt really solid.’ I started to turn and look to throw my hook, to follow it up, but as soon as I hit him, he just kind of hunched over and was just barely standing up on his feet. I saw his eyes roll into the back of his head. I grabbed him by the neck with my left and just put a couple of more punches on him on the way down, and the ref called the fight right there.”

On upcoming opponent Seth Baczynski: “He seems to be pretty decent in all areas. He’s got a couple of good submissions in his last few fights and a TKO to his credit. He’s definitely a tall guy. He’s probably the tallest guy that I’ve ever fought. He’s going to have some reach, so it’s just a matter of getting inside and pressing the action on him to take away his power.”

On the welterweight division: “It’s really anybody’s game, I think. I think a big question is how healthy is GSP? He’s kind of getting -- I personally think -- maybe towards the latter part of his career. He’s had a bunch of injuries that he’s had to sit out and rehab and heal up. His durability, I think, is in question. We’ll definitely see in this upcoming fight of his with [Carlos] Condit, but I think there’s a lot of guys right there in the mix that could maybe knock GSP off now since he’s had some injuries or maybe GSP just wants to retire. Who knows? It’s really anybody’s game, but there’s a lot of guys in the welterweight division that I think could shake things up for 2013.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 32:39).

Fighting for Barnett leads to fulfilling life

To Josh Barnett, fighting is more than just about a physical contest or wins and losses. It's about leading a fulfilling life. Barnett headlines Fight Night Hamburg against Andrei Arlovski on Sept. 3 read news >>

Tim Kennedy vs. Rashad Evans Set for UFC 205 | MMAWeekly.com

Tim Kennedy will return to the Octagon to welcome Rashad Evans to the middleweight division at UFC 205. read news >>

Titan FC 41 Results: Kalindra Faria Wins Inaugural Bantamweight Belt | MMAWeekly.com

Kalindra Faria closed out her trilogy of fights with Carina Damm, winning a unanimous decision to capture the inaugural Titan FC bantamweight championship. read news >>

Joanne Calderwood vs. Jessica Andrade Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 203

The strawweight division was put on notice after Jessica Andrade (15-5) dispatched Jessica Penne at UFC 199, and now the upper echelon is on red alert. Andrade walked through Joanne Calderwood (11-3) read news >>

Bellator 161 Results: Cheick Kongo, Joe Warren Pick Up Wins in Texas | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator 161 landed in Cedar Park, Texas on Friday night, and the card was capped off with a heavyweight affair. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 94 Results: Winners, Scorecards for Poirier vs. Johnson Card

The UFC lightweight division has a new title contender in Michael Johnson. It didn't take long for Johnson to show the world he means business in this division, knocking out Poirier after 95 seconds. read news >>

Canelo Alvarez Wins WBO Light Middleweight Championship, Besting Liam Smith | FIGHTLAND

Photos by Jerome Miron-USA TODAY Sports Mexican boxing star Saul “Canelo” Alvarez simultaneously proved both his star and punching power as he put away plucky Brit Liam Smith to earn the WBO light mi read news >>

Goodbye Gridlock: UFC's Top 10 Middleweights All Fight in Next 2 Months

It’s hard to believe, but the UFC middleweight division has never really recovered from Anderson Silva losing his title back in 2013. Once a pillar of consistency during Silva’s near seven-year reign read news >>

Joe Rogan Asks UFC to Open Women's 145-Pound Division for Cris Cyborg | MMAWeekly.com

Joe Rogan isn't a fan of Cris Cyborg's difficult weight-cutting and wants the UFC to do something about it. read news >>