Mike Guymon at UFC 121Following his release from the UFC in early 2011, former King of the Cage welterweight champion Mike “Joker” Guymon decided it was time to step away from the sport. A year later, he felt amiss in his decision to retire, and decided to return to MMA.

As Guymon explains, “I didn’t want to go out the way I did. I feel like I cheated everyone: the UFC, my friends, my fans, my training partners and myself. (By the time I had reached) UFC Fight Night for the Troops, it was like a shadow of me; it wasn’t me at all.”

After troubles maintaining a healthy medicinal balance for his battle with depression, Guymon was able to right himself. And with his mental wellbeing in check, it was time to make a comeback.

“I took a fight with BAMMA (in March), coming back at 155 pounds and fought Cris Leyva and I felt great,” Guymon told MMAWeekly.com. “I had that fire back in me. Just everything that was missing before, I had that back.”

Then this past Friday, Guymon’s triumphant return continued, as he took a unanimous decision over Xtreme Couture prospect Mike Dizak at BAMMA’s latest installment in Commerce, Calif.

“This was probably the toughest out of all my fights because I did it with a fractured shoulder,” said Guymon. “So to fight someone like Dizak and come out on top with the adversity I went through is something I’m still, like, tripping on.

“It’s not the way of winning a fight that I’d like, but it got the job done and to get the ‘W’ under conditions like that, I’m pretty ecstatic. I used every little bit for this fight – even cutting weight, all the veteran things, the little things – the small things are what got me through this fight.”

Sporting back-to-back wins for the first time three years, Guymon is eager to step back into the cage and work his way back to the UFC to rectify his earlier misstep.

“I think there’s a couple of things that need to be done on my shoulder, but I want to get back in there,” he said. “I want to work my back into the UFC and show people what I can do.

“I’d love to do it this year, but I think it’d be unrealistic to think I could pull off a huge string of victories quick by the end of this year with the way my physicality is now. I’m thinking that at the very first part of next year, I’d love to have that position where I’m back in the UFC and I’m fighting at 155 pounds.”

As Guymon points out, the clock isn’t necessarily in his corner, so if he’s going to make one last run, it’s going to have to materialize in the near future.

“I don’t have many big windows of opportunity,” he said. “If I’m going to do this, it’s going to be now or never. It’s basically that simple.

“I’m 37 years old, and this sport every day is getting younger, stronger, better, badder, faster, everything. There’s so much that comes into play that if I’m going to do that, I can’t wait because Father Time is coming quick.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Dana White: Correia 'absolutely' knew Rousey's father committed suicide

Dana White says Bethe Correia 'absolutely' knew about Ronda Rousey's father committing suicide before she made the suicide insult. Earlier in May, bantamweight title challenger Bethe Correia may have read news >>

Dana White: Bethe Correia 'absolutely' knew Ronda Rousey's father committed suicide before comments

Ronda Rousey is partly fueled at UFC 190 by comments Bethe Correia made about Rousey possibly killing herself if she loses. Rousey's father committed suicide when she was a child. Correia has apologi read news >>

Conor McGregor's father used to tell customers stories about his son's 'million dollar left hook'

Heading into UFC 189, Conor McGregor's father assured those closest to him that his son held all of the aces. While the last-second opponent switch from Jose Aldo to Chad Mendes had been far from ide read news >>

Khabib’s father explains why his son wrestled a bear as a child

UFC lightweight Khabib Nurmagomedov’s father, Abdulmanap, explains why he had his son train with bears at nine years old. 17 years ago, a young Khabib Nurmagomedov befriended a bear cub that he would read news >>

Firing of Jacob 'Stitch' Duran really not cool… and in fact, just cold

One of the fascinating side effects of running a successful promotion like the UFC is that even the foundational figures begin to share in the celebrity. At some point, the UFC became a traveling ban read news >>

Conor McGregor's family were in 'terrible shock' during UFC 189

Conor McGregor's father describes the emotional turmoil the family suffered during UFC 189's main event. read news >>

Conor McGregor's family were in 'terrible shock' during UFC 189

The MMA Hour - 291 - Tony McGregor

Tony McGregor, Conor's father, will talk about his son's meteoric rise as of late and last weekend's big win. read news >>

Conor McGregor’s father doubts UFC books Jose Aldo on another world tour: ‘I think he’s just had enough’

Conor McGregor and his team at SBG Ireland have made a habit out of pointing to Jose Aldo's last-second withdrawal from UFC 189 as proof that the UFC featherweight champion is afraid to fight his Iri read news >>

Conor McGregor is 'up for fight' against Frankie Edgar since 'Jose went running'

Watch two post-fight interviews with UFC interim featherweight champion Conor McGregor. After the biggest win of his career, a second-round TKO victory over Chad Mendes at UFC 189, the UFC's new inte read news >>