miesha-tate-14.jpgMiesha Tate found out she could be coaching on “The Ultimate Fighter 18? an hour before UFC President Dana White announced it at UFC 158.

Like many who first heard about the show’s concept, which puts both male and female MMA hopefuls in a Las Vegas mansion to compete for UFC contracts, her initial reaction was mostly shocked. She also expected carnal consequences.

“I was like, ‘Are you crazy? Inside the house at the same time!’ Tate told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “[Dana] started laughing. I said, ‘You better make sure that all the guys have condoms and all the girls are on mandatory birth control, because I’m sure it’s going to get nuts in there. Getting knocked up is not very good for your career as a female fighter.’

“He was like, ‘I know. It’s worse than getting knocked out. That’s for sure.’”

Tate (13-3 MMA, 0-0 UFC), of course, has yet to book the gig. To secure it, she needs to beat Cat Zingano (7-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) at The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale, which takes place Saturday at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. The event’s main-card, including Zingano vs. Tate, airs live on FX following prelims on FUEL TV and Facebook.

The undefeated Zingao will try to rob Tate of the coaching spot, which will set up a title fight against women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey at the season’s conclusion. “TUF 18? begins filming this summer and debuts in September.

Tate has been inundated with questions about Rousey, who took her Strikeforce title more than a year ago.

“Everyone wants to ask me about Ronda and ‘The Ultimate Fighter,’ but to me, I don’t care about any of that right now,” she said. “It’s just Cat. That’s all that have on my plate, and all I’m concerned with. If I don’t do what I need to do on April 13, none of that matters. So why even bother getting excited about it?”

Since her initial reaction to the show, Tate has changed her mind on the possibilities for drama.

“I had a good laugh about this the other day, because a lot of the girls in this industry are lesbians, which I have no problem with,” she said. “They’re cool-ass chicks. But I was making a joke that it’s going to be so funny – all the girls on this show are going to be lesbians, and all the guys are going to be like, ‘We’re going to be hooking up with these hot fighter chicks.’ And the girls are going to be hooking up with each other.

“The boys are going to be like, ‘I thought this was going to be way cooler than it is.’”

For more on The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Ronda Rousey’s Rowdy Questions: Would You Coach TUF Again and Favorite Fighter?

In this latest quick clip, Ronda Rousey talks about whether or not she would consider coaching on TUF again, and lays down her pick for her favorite UFC fighter. read news >>

RFA 32's Leandro Higo: 'TUF: Brazil 4' disappointment won't keep me from UFC

When Leandro Higo fights tonight at RFA 32, he’ll enter the cage with the goal of almost every fighter: earning his way into the UFC.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News, UFC read news >>

VIDEO: Coach Says Georges St-Pierre Training for Possible UFC Return

Former UFC champ Georges St-Pierre is considering a return to fighting. The 34-year-old is doing a mock training camp with Freddie Roach to determine his desire. read news >>

The Speed Bag: Miesha Tate's retirement talk actually makes sense

In this week’s edition of The Speed Bag, Ben Fowlkes breaks down why Miesha Tate’s retirement talk makes plenty of sense.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Will Brooks claims ‘Pitbull’ brothers assault, says video proof; coach denies

Bellator lightweight champion Will Brooks said he was assaulted by the “Pitbull” brothers – Patricio Freire and Patricky Freire – today in a hotel in St. Louis and said there is video to prove it.Fil read news >>

Miesha Tate Should Be Commended for Taking a Brave Stand

The idea that Miesha Tate—by most metrics the UFC's second-most popular female fighter—could walk away from the sport at 29 years old is nearly unfathomable. And yet, that's exactly what could be on read news >>

TUF Latin America 2 - Episode 11 Preview

It's down to the final two fights after a long season on The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America this year, with Team Gastelum's Erick Montano set to face Team Escudero's Vernon Ramos this week, the read news >>

Edson Barboza Steps In for Injured Khabib Nurmagomedov

Khabib Nurmagomedov had to drop off the TUF 22 Finale, but UFC officials moved swift to enlist Edson Barboza in his stead. read news >>

Edson Barboza in for Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Tony Ferguson at TUF 22 Finale

Now that the dust has started to settle from the announcement of Khabib Nurmagomedov’s latest injury, his December opponent now knows his new foe.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Injured, Says He Might Not Fight Again

Khabib Nurmagomedov has been forced out of his TUF 22 Finale bout with Tony Ferguson due to injury, and says he might not fight again. read news >>