miesha-tate-14.jpgMiesha Tate found out she could be coaching on “The Ultimate Fighter 18? an hour before UFC President Dana White announced it at UFC 158.

Like many who first heard about the show’s concept, which puts both male and female MMA hopefuls in a Las Vegas mansion to compete for UFC contracts, her initial reaction was mostly shocked. She also expected carnal consequences.

“I was like, ‘Are you crazy? Inside the house at the same time!’ Tate told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “[Dana] started laughing. I said, ‘You better make sure that all the guys have condoms and all the girls are on mandatory birth control, because I’m sure it’s going to get nuts in there. Getting knocked up is not very good for your career as a female fighter.’

“He was like, ‘I know. It’s worse than getting knocked out. That’s for sure.’”

Tate (13-3 MMA, 0-0 UFC), of course, has yet to book the gig. To secure it, she needs to beat Cat Zingano (7-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) at The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale, which takes place Saturday at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. The event’s main-card, including Zingano vs. Tate, airs live on FX following prelims on FUEL TV and Facebook.

The undefeated Zingao will try to rob Tate of the coaching spot, which will set up a title fight against women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey at the season’s conclusion. “TUF 18? begins filming this summer and debuts in September.

Tate has been inundated with questions about Rousey, who took her Strikeforce title more than a year ago.

“Everyone wants to ask me about Ronda and ‘The Ultimate Fighter,’ but to me, I don’t care about any of that right now,” she said. “It’s just Cat. That’s all that have on my plate, and all I’m concerned with. If I don’t do what I need to do on April 13, none of that matters. So why even bother getting excited about it?”

Since her initial reaction to the show, Tate has changed her mind on the possibilities for drama.

“I had a good laugh about this the other day, because a lot of the girls in this industry are lesbians, which I have no problem with,” she said. “They’re cool-ass chicks. But I was making a joke that it’s going to be so funny – all the girls on this show are going to be lesbians, and all the guys are going to be like, ‘We’re going to be hooking up with these hot fighter chicks.’ And the girls are going to be hooking up with each other.

“The boys are going to be like, ‘I thought this was going to be way cooler than it is.’”

For more on The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Still undefeated, UFC Fight Night 95's Gregor Gillespie eyes spot on Albany card

BRASILIA, Brazil – Now 8-0 in his professional MMA career following a successful UFC debut, former NCAA Division I national wrestling champ Gregor Gillespie still sees a lot of room to grow: ‘I’m lea read news >>

UFC Fight Night 97 lineup set with Alvey vs. Nicholson in featured prelim spot

The lineup is set for the UFC’s second trip to the Philippines for UFC Fight Night 97 in October.Filed under: News read news >>

Tate prepared to take first step back towards title

UFC 205 will see Miesha Tate fight Raquel Pennington at the fabled Madison Square Garden on Nov. 12. Tate lost the title to current champion Amanda Nunes and is about to begin her climb back up the b read news >>

Jake Ellenberger vs. Jorge Masvidal booked for December's TUF 24 Finale in Las Vegas

December’s TUF 24 Finale has a new welterweight fight booking: Jake Ellenberger vs. Jorge Masvidal. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Moving west: The rebirth of Cat Zingano, and how UFC 200 drove her to California's Alliance MMA

Cat Zingano knows the exact moment she realized something wasn’t right. Unfortunately for the women’s bantamweight contender, it was during the middle of a UFC 200 contest with Julianna Pena.Filed un read news >>

Jose Aldo's retirement threats are for real - 'TUF Talk'

Jose Aldo's jiu jitsu coach, Ronaldo Candido, says the former featherweight champion isn't joking about retiring from the UFC after it was announced Conor McGregor would face Eddie Alvarez in read news >>

Kenny Florian does a perfect impression of Conor McGregor - 'TUF Talk'

Rashad Evans and Kenny Florian give their best UFC impressions, including Conor McGregor, Alistair Overeem and Bigfoot Silva. read news >>

Jake Ellenberger vs. Jorge Masvidal added to TUF 24 Finale

The Ultimate Fighter 24 finale is stacked with great fights, and now a welterweight war between Jake Ellenberger and Jorge Masvidal has been added.This season of The Ultimate Fighter is a very intere read news >>

Kailin Curran vs. newcomer Jamie Moyle booked for December's TUF 24 Finale in Las Vegas

December’s latest installment of an “Ultimate Fighter” finale card has its latest booking, and it comes in the women’s strawweight division. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jake Collier-Josh Stansbury, Elvis Mutapcic-Anthony Smith booked for TUF 24 Finale in December

The TUF 24 Finale in December continues to build with the addition of a pair of middleweight fights to the lineup. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>