miesha-tate-14.jpgMiesha Tate found out she could be coaching on “The Ultimate Fighter 18? an hour before UFC President Dana White announced it at UFC 158.

Like many who first heard about the show’s concept, which puts both male and female MMA hopefuls in a Las Vegas mansion to compete for UFC contracts, her initial reaction was mostly shocked. She also expected carnal consequences.

“I was like, ‘Are you crazy? Inside the house at the same time!’ Tate told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “[Dana] started laughing. I said, ‘You better make sure that all the guys have condoms and all the girls are on mandatory birth control, because I’m sure it’s going to get nuts in there. Getting knocked up is not very good for your career as a female fighter.’

“He was like, ‘I know. It’s worse than getting knocked out. That’s for sure.’”

Tate (13-3 MMA, 0-0 UFC), of course, has yet to book the gig. To secure it, she needs to beat Cat Zingano (7-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) at The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale, which takes place Saturday at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. The event’s main-card, including Zingano vs. Tate, airs live on FX following prelims on FUEL TV and Facebook.

The undefeated Zingao will try to rob Tate of the coaching spot, which will set up a title fight against women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey at the season’s conclusion. “TUF 18? begins filming this summer and debuts in September.

Tate has been inundated with questions about Rousey, who took her Strikeforce title more than a year ago.

“Everyone wants to ask me about Ronda and ‘The Ultimate Fighter,’ but to me, I don’t care about any of that right now,” she said. “It’s just Cat. That’s all that have on my plate, and all I’m concerned with. If I don’t do what I need to do on April 13, none of that matters. So why even bother getting excited about it?”

Since her initial reaction to the show, Tate has changed her mind on the possibilities for drama.

“I had a good laugh about this the other day, because a lot of the girls in this industry are lesbians, which I have no problem with,” she said. “They’re cool-ass chicks. But I was making a joke that it’s going to be so funny – all the girls on this show are going to be lesbians, and all the guys are going to be like, ‘We’re going to be hooking up with these hot fighter chicks.’ And the girls are going to be hooking up with each other.

“The boys are going to be like, ‘I thought this was going to be way cooler than it is.’”

For more on The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Holly Holm not worried about potential champion vs. champion fight with Ronda Rousey: 'A lot can happen in three months'

Holly Holm was on top of the world after knocking out Ronda Rousey at UFC 193. Undefeated, the UFC women’s bantamweight champion and having just knocked off a woman once thought unbeatable, Holm seem read news >>

TJ Dillashaw: 'Every Opponent Should Be Worried' (UFC 207 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Former champion TJ Dillashaw looks to establish himself as the top contender when he takes on No. 2 ranked bantamweight John Lineker at UFC 207. read news >>

UFC 207 Video: The Rise of Amanda Nunes | MMAWeekly.com

Amanda Nunes won the women's bantamweight title by beating former champ Miesha Tate. Now, she defends her title for the first time against Ronda Rousey. read news >>

Training With Miesha Tate and Winning ONE Championship Title, Angela Lee is Loving Life | MMAWeekly.com

Training with Miesha Tate and winning a title for ONE Championship, 2016 has been an amazing year for Angela Lee. read news >>

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie Rankings, Dec. 27: Can Ronda Rousey take back her No. 1 spot?

This weekend’s UFC 207 card is full of intriguing matchups, but there’s much on the line in the evening’s main event.Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rankings, News, UFC, WSOF read news >>

Ronda Rousey Got Me Pregnant: A Memoir

Like a true friend, Ronda Rousey found me when I was down and out. I was working 14 hours a day at a job that paid very little. It was monotonous—endless days spent mostly sitting around. The kind of read news >>

WSOF Champ Justin Gaethje Focused on the Fight and Only on the Fight | MMAWeekly.com

When it comes to MMA, there are few things in life that World Series of Fighting lightweight champion Justin Gaethje takes more seriously. read news >>

UFC 207's Alex Garcia wants 'TUF' season between native Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico

As he prepares to face veteran Mike Pyle at UFC 207, welterweight Alex Garcia still hopes to one day have a UFC event in his native Dominican Republic. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Miesha Tate on ex-UFC champ Ronda Rousey: If serious about MMA, 'she would've been back sooner'

Like most of the MMA world, recently retired ex-UFC champion Miesha Tate was perplexed by Ronda Rousey’s media blackout in advance of her long-awaited comeback opposite champ Amanda Nunes tonight at read news >>

Miesha Tate: 'I Think Ronda Rousey is Fighting Sort of as a Favor to the UFC' (video) | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC bantamweight champion Miesha Tate doesn't think Ronda Rousey really wants to fight Amanda Nunes. read news >>