michael-bisping-30.jpgWith all kinds of focus on the UFC 159 main event between Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen, Michael Bisping steered attention toward the co-feature in a big way.

With many observers wondering what might come next from Sonnen in terms of pre-fight hype, given his propensity for colorful promotion and entertaining speeches, he played the role of complimentary opponent during a Monday call with media members.

But bringing his A game in the talk department was Bisping, who helped increase the level of interest in his fight with Alan Belcher with a mid-call rant.

Bisping (23-5 MMA, 13-5 UFC) and Belcher (18-7 MMA, 9-5 UFC) meet in the co-main event of UFC 159, which takes place Saturday at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.

After Belcher responded to a question asking what a win would do for him, Bisping interjected to let the media know he doesn’t see a Belcher win being something that needs to be worried about.

“Let me just add to that,” Bisping said. “A win over me for Alan Belcher will be by far the biggest win of his pathetic career. There you go. No one gives a s— about Alan Belcher.”

When Belcher reminded the Brit that meant he better not lose, Bisping was quick to fire off another shot.

“Hey, bro – I ain’t going to lose to you, man,” Bisping said. “It’s in the bag. It’s a formality. I’ve just got to show up, slap your little face, take my check and go home.”

With much of the focus of the call on Jones-Sonnen, the Bisping-Belcher exchange was short, but sweet.

Belcher said the talk from Bisping, which has grown over the past several weeks leading up to the fight to Monday’s call, at its highest pitch so far, has him amped up.

“It is emotional for me, and that’s when I perform at my highest,” Belcher said. “I have the most pressure on me – I’m the most nervous for this fight ever. The only fights that I’ve ever lost are the fights that I wasn’t very excited for. So this one, I want it worse than any fight in my whole career and I’m focused on it and I’ll perform at my highest.”

Bisping and Belcher both are coming off losses, and Bisping has dropped two of his past three with losses to Sonnen and Vitor Belfort sandwiched around a win over Brian Stann this past September. Belcher lost to Yushin Okami in December to have a four-fight win streak snapped.

And even though Bisping has lobbed some insults Belcher’s way, he still acknowledges that a win over him helps get him back into title contention. Bisping is ranked No. 6 is the latest USA TODAY/MMAjunkie.com rankings, while Belcher is 13. The two are No. 4 and 10, respectively, in the UFC’s rankings.

“I’m a natural competitor,” Bisping said. “A win over Alan Belcher puts me back in the win column. It’s a win over a top 10 opponent. And it gets me back in the mix for the title shot. That’s what I want. And as long as there’s life in my body, I will continue to try and get that title shot. I want to be the world champion.”

For more on UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Michael Bisping)

Trainer: Amanda Nunes' striking is 'light years' ahead of Ronda Rousey's, can beat 'Rowdy' now

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) women's bantamweight champion,Ronda Rousey, has proven she can outstrike the best of them, but she has yet to face someone with the stand up skills that Amanda Nu read news >>

Focus: 189 Edition

MMA Fighting's Esther Lin discusses her favorite photos from UFC 189. read news >>

Coach: Amanda Nunes' striking is 'light years ahead' of Ronda Rousey's

Few people ever mentioned Amanda Nunes as a worthy title challenger for Ronda Rousey before this past Saturday. But after watching her dazzling display against Sara McMann, they certainly are now. Nu read news >>

Anderson Silva Suspended: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction

After failing drug tests ahead of his clash with Nick Diaz at UFC 183, Anderson Silva has been suspended from competition. Silva will be forced to sit out for one year and is fined the full $200,000 read news >>

Glover Teixeira respects Ovince St. Preux's power, but questions his technique ahead of UFC main event

Glover Teixeira had his 20-fight winning streak snapped by Jon Jones and Phil Davis in 2014, but sees a five-round clash with Ovince Saint Preux as the perfect opportunity to show he’s a different fi read news >>

Latest CM Punk update: Watch video of UFC rookie sparring, grappling ahead of (eventual) Octagon debut

"I definitely don't want to wait too long. I understand all the criticism. Here I am with you interviewing me, they're making me do media, all this stuff. Eventually you're sick of talking about it a read news >>

UFC Fight Night Nashville: Care/Don't Care Preview

Sorry cry babies, Kid Nate + Eugene S. Robinson look ahead to this weekend's UFC Fight Night featuring Glover Teixeira vs. Ovince Saint Preaux in the infamous & patented Care/Don't Care Preview. read news >>

Hey, Michael Bisping: Here's the latest UFC middleweight calling you out

Vitor Miranda appears to have found a home in the UFC’s middleweight division, and now he has his sights set on some bigger names at 185 pounds.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 190 trending ahead of UFC 189 says Dana White

The UFC president says Ronda Rousey's latest fight is looking to outperform Conor McGregor's breakthrough a month ago. Dana White is never shy to let the world know when the UFC does well and he appe read news >>

Ronda Rousey's continued dominance puts focus back on potential 'Cyborg' bout (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: The table's set for a Ronda Rousey-Cristiane 'Cyborg' Santos superfight, if 'Cyborg' wants it bad enough. read news >>