michael-bisping-30.jpgWith all kinds of focus on the UFC 159 main event between Jon Jones and Chael Sonnen, Michael Bisping steered attention toward the co-feature in a big way.

With many observers wondering what might come next from Sonnen in terms of pre-fight hype, given his propensity for colorful promotion and entertaining speeches, he played the role of complimentary opponent during a Monday call with media members.

But bringing his A game in the talk department was Bisping, who helped increase the level of interest in his fight with Alan Belcher with a mid-call rant.

Bisping (23-5 MMA, 13-5 UFC) and Belcher (18-7 MMA, 9-5 UFC) meet in the co-main event of UFC 159, which takes place Saturday at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.

After Belcher responded to a question asking what a win would do for him, Bisping interjected to let the media know he doesn’t see a Belcher win being something that needs to be worried about.

“Let me just add to that,” Bisping said. “A win over me for Alan Belcher will be by far the biggest win of his pathetic career. There you go. No one gives a s— about Alan Belcher.”

When Belcher reminded the Brit that meant he better not lose, Bisping was quick to fire off another shot.

“Hey, bro – I ain’t going to lose to you, man,” Bisping said. “It’s in the bag. It’s a formality. I’ve just got to show up, slap your little face, take my check and go home.”

With much of the focus of the call on Jones-Sonnen, the Bisping-Belcher exchange was short, but sweet.

Belcher said the talk from Bisping, which has grown over the past several weeks leading up to the fight to Monday’s call, at its highest pitch so far, has him amped up.

“It is emotional for me, and that’s when I perform at my highest,” Belcher said. “I have the most pressure on me – I’m the most nervous for this fight ever. The only fights that I’ve ever lost are the fights that I wasn’t very excited for. So this one, I want it worse than any fight in my whole career and I’m focused on it and I’ll perform at my highest.”

Bisping and Belcher both are coming off losses, and Bisping has dropped two of his past three with losses to Sonnen and Vitor Belfort sandwiched around a win over Brian Stann this past September. Belcher lost to Yushin Okami in December to have a four-fight win streak snapped.

And even though Bisping has lobbed some insults Belcher’s way, he still acknowledges that a win over him helps get him back into title contention. Bisping is ranked No. 6 is the latest USA TODAY/MMAjunkie.com rankings, while Belcher is 13. The two are No. 4 and 10, respectively, in the UFC’s rankings.

“I’m a natural competitor,” Bisping said. “A win over Alan Belcher puts me back in the win column. It’s a win over a top 10 opponent. And it gets me back in the mix for the title shot. That’s what I want. And as long as there’s life in my body, I will continue to try and get that title shot. I want to be the world champion.”

For more on UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Michael Bisping)

Lawler vs. Woodley: Weigh-In Info, Top Comments Before UFC 201

Robbie Lawler and Tyron Woodley hit the scales on Friday ahead of their mouth-watering title bout at UFC 201, and both fighters came in dead on the 170-pound limit, per Fox Sports: UFC: The main even read news >>

UFC 201 Fantasy Rewind: What you got right & wrong

UFC fans made their predictions ahead of UFC: 201 - but were they correct? We look at all the prefight picks and see what really happened on fight night. read news >>

Michael Bisping Announces Fight with Dan Henderson in Manchester

Though the UFC has yet to make it official, Michael Bisping took it upon himself to announce his title defense against Dan Henderson. read news >>

Michael Bisping Expects Dan Henderson to 'Cheat' in Reported Rematch at UFC 204

UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping is expecting Dan Henderson to “cheat” in their rumoured rematch. According to MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani, Bisping will face the veteran on October 8 in a r read news >>

UFC's Era of Money (and Moneyweight) Fights Has Begun, and There's No Going Back

Shortly after Michael Bisping realized his career-long goal of capturing the UFC middleweight championship, the question of who he might fight next followed. It is a simple and obvious one, almost ma read news >>

Michael Bisping vs. Dan Henderson II Announced: Latest Details and Reaction

Michael Bisping will put his UFC middleweight title on the line in his home town of Manchester against veteran Dan Henderson on October 8. The fight will headline UFC 204 and was confirmed by the UFC read news >>

UFC 204: Bisping vs. Hendo is Official; Includes Belfort vs. Mousasi and Struve vs. Magomedov

The all-but-confirmed UFC 204 headlining bout between Michael Bisping and Dan Henderson is now confirmed, as are several other UFC 204 bouts. read news >>

Nate Diaz Says Conor McGregor is Silly, Trying to Hype Himself Up Ahead of UFC 202 (Video)

Heading into UFC 202, Nate Diaz said that Conor McGregor is silly for having pictures up in his garage of him punching Diaz in the face. Diaz feels McGregor is just fooling himself, trying to hype hi read news >>

UFC Unfiltered: Cowboy Cerrone and Bob Saget

Donald Cerrone calls in live from Lake Mead ahead of his fight against Rick Story at UFC 202 and talks skydiving, Diaz vs. McGregor 2, and more. Then, comic and actor Bob Saget talks to Jim and Matt read news >>

Watch the UFC 204: Bisping vs. Henderson 2 Press Conference Streaming Live at 5 PM ET

Watch as the stars of UFC 204, Michael Bisping and Dan Henderson, field questions from the media on Friday at 5 p.m. ET, live from Las Vegas. read news >>