Chad Mendes has been training for most of his life.

Regardless of whether he was on a wrestling mat or in a cage, he believes that all along he has been preparing for his Jan. 14 featherweight title shot against Jose Aldo at UFC 142.

“I’m just pumped that this time is finally here,” Mendes told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “I feel like I’ve been training for this one moment my entire life. I started wrestling when I was five and I never took a year off. This is all just the payoff from starting that young and all that dedication and hard work that I’ve put in. It’s time for me to get out there and show the world who I am and what I’m here to do.”

Mendes’ rise in MMA has been quick. He’s only been fighting professionally since September 2008. However, before fighting he was a standout wrestler at Cal Poly who lost just once his senior year -- in the NCAA championship.

“At that time, nothing was more important to me than winning that NCAA title,” Mendes said. “I had tunnel vision. That’s all I cared about and that’s all I trained for and that’s all I wanted. I came up short. It’s a heartbreaker. It’s something that I’ll always think about and always remember, but … all that work was basically in preparation for what I’m doing now. Now I have tunnel vision for this. This is what I train my hardest for. I’m in here every day busting my butt. It’s tunnel vision for that belt, and that’s the new thing.”

To take the belt, Mendes will have to find a way to beat Aldo. The Brazilian has been dominant in his four title defenses, one of which came against Mendes’ friend and training partner Urijah Faber. Faber did go the 25-minute distance with Aldo, though, and of course he has discussed what he learned from the bout with Mendes.

“[Faber] knows [Aldo’s] strengths,” Mendes said. “He knows his weaknesses. He knows where I’m going to be strong and areas where I need to work.”

In particular, Mendes has focused on his cardio in training. He wants to push the pace in the fight and also dictate where it takes place.

“I’ve got to break him down,” he said. “We’ve all seen that when Aldo gets pushed, his cardio’s kind of suspect. For me, that’s one thing that I’m working on most in this camp, is getting my cardio top-notch and just keeping the pace high. I’ve got to be all over him. I’ve got to get my hands on him. I need to wear him down and break him with that wrestling mentality. That’s key, I think, for beating a guy like Jose.”

If Mendes can pull it off, he’ll walk out of the Octagon a UFC champion. Leaving with the belt, in fact, is something he’s already imagined.

“It’s something that gives me the chills every time I think about it,” Mendes said. “This is the newest chapter in my life. It’s what I’ve trained for. It’s my goal. The belt is the light at the end of the tunnel, and it’s what I’m working and busting my butt for every day. I think about it all the time.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:42:22).

Chad Mendes has gameplan for Conor McGregor, claims he's 'picked him apart' on tape

UFC 189 standby man Chad Mendes plans to execute a gameplan against Conor McGregor. On Wednesday, the UFC announced that the shaky UFC 189 main event between Jose Aldo and Conor McGregor is still set read news >>

Heading into potential UFC 189 headliner, Chad Mendes looking at win-win situation

The UFC may have put Chad Mendes behind the 8-ball with a pretty big request Wednesday, but no matter how things wind up in a couple weeks, he’s looking at his situation as a win-win. With featherwei read news >>

Frankie Edgar 'disappointed' UFC chose Chad Mendes for UFC 189, 'Money' laughs and says 'haters gonna hate'

As of now, reigning Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight champion Jose Aldo will defend his 145-pound title against division No. 1 contender Conor McGregor -- despite an injured rib -- read news >>

Jose Aldo plans to face Conor McGregor at UFC 189, Chad Mendes on standby

Jose Aldo still plans on competing at UFC 189. And if he can't, the UFC has a backup plan. Aldo has a bone bruise to his rib and a cartilage injury following a training accident this week, according read news >>

Jose Aldo still on at UFC 189 – but Conor McGregor-Chad Mendes contingency in place

Jose Aldo is not out of his UFC 189 main event title defense against Conor McGregor. But the UFC has a backup plan in place. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Morning Report: Former Judo coach slams Ronda Rousey, says 'She owes her entire existence to our sport'

We all know the story of UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey. About how the daughter of a World Champion hooked up with the famed 'Judo' Gene LeBell to train alongside future UFC stars bef read news >>

UFC: Berlin live results, play-by-play, and discussion

Live, top-to-bottom coverage of UFC Fight Night: Jedrzejczyk vs. Penne in Berlin, Germany. The entire card streams live on Fight Pass. Join us today on Bloody Elbow for coverage and live play-by-play read news >>

Chad Mendes warms up to Conor McGregor: He’s brought a lot of attention to the UFC

Former UFC title challenger Chad Mendes gives his thoughts on Conor McGregor and the UFC 189 main event against Jose Aldo. read news >>

Finally: Kimbo Slice vs. Ken Shamrock full preview video

Check out the entire SPIKE documentary on the upcoming Bellator 138 main event between Kimbo Slice and Ken Shamrock. On Friday night, Bellator 138 will take place from St. Louis, Missouri, where two read news >>

Step aside Frankie Edgar, because Chad Mendes wants the winner of Jose Aldo vs. Conor McGregor at UFC 189

Frankie Edgar may believe Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White owes him the next featherweight title shot, but "The Answer" isn't the only one who expects to be next in line. Cha read news >>