Melvin Guillard was none too happy to hear the news that his opponent Jamie Varner was out of their fight due to illness on Saturday night.
According to UFC officials, Varner was throwing up in the back room while he was trying to warm up for his fight with Guillard, and the Nevada State Athletic Commission would not allow the fight to go on.
Prior to that happening, Guillard says commission officials were checking him out in a pre-fight meeting and asked him about “greasing” after hearing allegations from Varner earlier in the night.
Then just as his warm-up got underway, Guillard was informed that Varner was out of the fight, and their bout was cancelled. Needless to say despite Varner’s apparent illness, Guillard wasn’t buying it.
“I think what he done tonight was very cowardly. I saw the look in his eyes at weigh-ins, he didn’t want to fight me. I’ll just leave it at that, I’m not going to sit here and bash the guy, I have a level of respect for him as a person, but as a fighter I lost all respect for him,” said Guillard when speaking to Fuel TV.
Following the cancellation of their bout, UFC officials announced that the plan is for Guillard and Varner to move to UFC 155 in two weeks time out in Las Vegas.
Guillard had no plans of facing Varner after tonight’s situation, but obviously when the UFC wants something to happen, they can usually get it done.
For his part however, Guillard says the UFC might want to get some back-ups ready because he’s not sure Varner will be there.
“I just hope he don’t back out again,” said Guillard. “They might want to have me some other guys lined up to make weight just in case he backs out again.”