melvin-guillard-16.jpgTwo months before UFC lightweight Melvin Guillard announced via Twitter that he was returning to Team Jackson-Winkeljohn in Albuquerque, N.M., the gym’s leaders voted to keep him from doing so.

Guillard (30-12-2 MMA, 11-7 UFC) had inquired about a potential reunion through former teammates, who then passed word to the gym’s administration. The vote was unanimous.

“The Young Assassin” had angered the team in interviews he gave about a move this past year to Florida’s “Blackzilians” team, a source close to the MMA team told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

Adding to concerns, Guillard has two outstanding assault charges against him from separate incidents in Albuquerque in 2010, records show.

So when the fighter sent his tweet on Sunday – “Im no longer a blackzillian I went back to where I belong Jackson’s,” he wrote – the team was caught off guard.

“He’s not allowed back here,” said the source, who asked for anonymity given the sensitive nature of the talks and the team’s history with the fighter.

Guillard was unreachable for comment, and his last known management firm, Authentic Sports Management, refused to confirm whether he is still a client.

According to Bernalillo County (N.M.) court records, Guillard currently faces five charges: two misdemeanor counts of aggravated battery, to which he pled not guilty. Three misdemeanor counts of failure to appear in court were settled. A jury trial on the assault charges is set for April 10, where he faces six months in jail for each count, in addition to fines and probation.

Guillard, who burst onto the UFC scene as a cast member of “The Ultimate Fighter 2,” most recently appeared at UFC 155, where he lost a split decision to Jamie Varner. The loss put him at 1-4 in his past five outings, which followed a five-fight win streak that had him on a short list of contenders in the 155-pound division.

Despite his recent skid, Guillard is still considered among the best lightweights in the world. He boasts 19 wins by way of knockout.

UFC President Dana White repeatedly has praised the fighter’s skill while expressing frustration at his issues outside the cage.

“I’ve known Melvin for a long time, since ‘The Ultimate Fighter,’ and I always thought he was a very talented guy and just never lived up to his potential,” White said. “He was out there not doing all the right things to become the great fighter that he had the potential to be.”

The move to Florida was touted by Guillard as a step toward revitalizing his career. Whether he remains there or finds another home is unknown.

view original article >>

Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Twitter reacts to Conor McGregor being pulled from UFC 200 vs. Nate Diaz

  • 14 days ago
  • 62 views

UFC President Dana White announced Tuesday night that featherweight champ Conor McGregor had been pulled from his UFC 200 main event rematch with Nate Diaz. See how social media reacted to the news. read news >>

The Complete Guide to UFC 197: Jones vs. Saint Preux

  • 13 days ago
  • 1 views

After 15 months on the sidelines due to his legal troubles, former light heavyweight champion Jon Jones finally returns to action on Saturday night at UFC 197. In his absence, Daniel Cormier won the read news >>

UFC Emoji keyboard debuts with UFC 197

  • 14 days ago
  • 3 views

UFC today announced the launch of its first-ever emoji keyboard, presented by MetroPCS. This keyboard debuts in conjunction with UFC 197: JONES vs. SAINT PREUX on Saturday, April 23 at the MGM Grand read news >>

Twitter reacts to Conor McGregor's statement (and the takes are extra hot)

  • 12 days ago
  • 365 views

Today Conor McGregor again shook up the MMA world when, less than 48 hours after announcing his “retirement,” the UFC champ took to Facebook to clarify that promise. Check out the reactions.Filed und read news >>

HOT TWEETS: Conor McGregor Denounces Retirement; Twitter Explodes… Again!

  • 12 days ago
  • 46 views

Conor McGregor on Thursday took back the retirement tweet he shot out earlier this week... and proving his promotional power, Twitter exploded... again! read news >>

Twitter Mailbag: Many ways of looking at Conor McGregor vs. UFC

  • 12 days ago
  • 24 views

This week’s Twitter Mailbag received an awful lot of questions on one particular topic. But don’t worry, UFC 197 doesn’t get completely forgotten in this week’s avalanche of McGregor Mail.Filed under read news >>

Jones vs. Saint Preux: UFC 197 Odds, Predictions and Pre-Fight Twitter Hype

  • 11 days ago
  • 5 views

It's impossible to know exactly what to expect when Jon Jones returns to the Octagon for the first time in 15 months at UFC 197 on Saturday night. The dominant former light heavyweight champion has g read news >>

Twitter reacts to Benson Henderson's upset loss to champ Koreshkov at Bellator 153

  • 11 days ago
  • 279 views

Benson Henderson was supposed to make waves in the first fight of his Bellator career at Bellator 153. Apparently Andrey Koreshkov didn’t receive the memo. Check out the top reactions to Koreshkov’s read news >>

Jones vs. Saint Preux: Weigh-in Info, Top Comments Before UFC 197

  • 10 days ago
  • 9 views

It's been 15 months since Jon Jones was last in the Octagon. You'd have to go back to Jan. 3, 2015, to be exact, to find the last time Jones fought in the UFC. That was when he defended his UFC Light read news >>

Facing Andre Fili at UFC 197, Yair Rodriguez says there's no need to protect prospects

  • 10 days ago
  • 20 views

LAS VEGAS – Yair Rodriguez, 25, faces a fellow prospect in 23-year-old Andre Fili tonight at UFC 197. While others may question the prospect-vs.-prospect booking, Rodriguez said it makes sense.Filed read news >>