Jamie Varner was by all accounts ill before the Nevada Athletic Commission cancelled his bout Saturday against Melvin Guillard at “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 16 finale.

As UFC President Dana White described it, Varner was vomiting like the Exorcist backstage.

Guillard doesn’t question that his opponent was ill, but he does question why.

“I think it was a little bit of fear, a little bit of nerves and it got the best of him,” Guillard told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show.

To back up his claim, Guillard explained that shortly before hearing that Varner was sick, he’d been warned that his opponent’s camp was concerned about him greasing.

“I’m in the locker room getting my rules meeting from the ref, and the end of that rules meeting was a little disturbing because the referee was like, ‘His corner wanted me to let you know that they are a little concerned about you greasing.’ I’m like, ‘What?’ I’ve done nothing but respect this guy and his camp,” Guillard said. “I’ve said nothing bad about him or his camp, and [they’re] going to sit there and try to falsely accuse me of possibly greasing? I’m like, ‘OK, whatever.’ I get undressed out of my suit and I put on my fight gear and I’m warming up now … and not even 15, 20 minutes later, the commissioner walks in and says, ‘Melvin, I think your fight might get scratched.’”

Guillard did have a March 2005 Freestyle Fighting Championship 14 win over Roger Huerta declared a no contest by the Mississippi State Athletic Commission after greasing allegations were made. However, he said he didn’t grease then and certainly wasn’t going to against Varner.

“I think it was foul play for him to even say that because I thought we had a mutual respectful agreement that we were going to fight hard and give the fans what they wanted to see,” Guillard said. “That was what we talked about at the weigh-ins when we walked in the back. Then for him to pull that stunt and then on top of that to say that I might be greasing? That was like telling me you’re my buddy, but then going to another guy and talking behind my back.”

Guillard was also upset with the fight’s cancellation because family and friends had traveled to Las Vegas to see him compete. He’ll still get a chance to tangle with Varner, though, as the fight has been rescheduled for UFC 155 on Dec. 29.

“Deep down inside, I think the guy’s a little bit afraid of me and I’m going to prove it in two weeks because I’m not letting this fool out of the first round,” Guillard said. “I’m going to impose my will and I’m going to give him his walking papers.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:37:34).

Anderson Silva gets more time to answer NSAC's complaint, hearing likely in May

The Nevada State Athletic Commission granted a request from Anderson Silva for more time to file an answer to the commission’s complaint against him. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

NSAC would make Anderson Silva's test results available, no comment on 2016 Olympics

The Nevada State Athletic Commission has no say in whether or not Anderson Silva competes in the 2016 Olympics, but it would make the ex-champ's testing results available to the International Olympic read news >>

NAC: Jon Jones passed out-of-competition drug tests, hit-and-run incident being monitored

The Nevada Athletic Commission is going to keep a close eye on the Jon Jones situation. NAC executive director Bob Bennett told MMAFighting.com on Monday that the commission will be monitoring Jones' read news >>

NAC Monitoring Hit-and-Run Incident, Says Jon Jones Passed Multiple Drug Tests

The Nevada State Athletic Commission is closely monitoring the ongoing hit-and-run investigation involving UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones. It was announced on Monday afternoon by the Albuqu read news >>

Jon Jones hit-and-run case being monitored by Nevada Athletic Commission

The Nevada Athletic Commission is monitoring UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones following a hit-and-run on Sunday. Jon Jones may have bailed himself out of custody in approximately three hours read news >>

Ray Sefo says Melvin Guillard's continued unprofessionalism led to his removal from WSOF 20

To say that longtime UFC veteran Melvin Guillard's stint with the World Series of Fighting has been tumultuous would be a drastic understatement. Not only has "The Young Assassin" missed weight on tw read news >>

UFC Fight Night 62 drug test results released

Brazilian MMA Athletic Commission (CABMMA) today released the drug test results for UFC Fight Night 62 on FOX Sports 1, which took place inside Maracanazinho Gymnasium in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on S read news >>

Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson's UFC Return Blocked for Now Due to Court Injunction

Bellator MMA has been granted a preliminary injunction that will nix the upcoming UFC 186 bout between Quinton "Rampage" Jackson and Fabio Maldonado. The news was first reported by Luke Thomas of MMA read news >>

Melvin Guillard pulled from World Series of Fighting 20 after medical no-show

Not long after complaining that he wanted out of the promotion, Melvin Guillard has been pulled from his upcoming World Series of fighting bout. Thinks aren't going well for former UFC lightweight Me read news >>