Jamie Varner was by all accounts ill before the Nevada Athletic Commission cancelled his bout Saturday against Melvin Guillard at “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 16 finale.

As UFC President Dana White described it, Varner was vomiting like the Exorcist backstage.

Guillard doesn’t question that his opponent was ill, but he does question why.

“I think it was a little bit of fear, a little bit of nerves and it got the best of him,” Guillard told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show.

To back up his claim, Guillard explained that shortly before hearing that Varner was sick, he’d been warned that his opponent’s camp was concerned about him greasing.

“I’m in the locker room getting my rules meeting from the ref, and the end of that rules meeting was a little disturbing because the referee was like, ‘His corner wanted me to let you know that they are a little concerned about you greasing.’ I’m like, ‘What?’ I’ve done nothing but respect this guy and his camp,” Guillard said. “I’ve said nothing bad about him or his camp, and [they’re] going to sit there and try to falsely accuse me of possibly greasing? I’m like, ‘OK, whatever.’ I get undressed out of my suit and I put on my fight gear and I’m warming up now … and not even 15, 20 minutes later, the commissioner walks in and says, ‘Melvin, I think your fight might get scratched.’”

Guillard did have a March 2005 Freestyle Fighting Championship 14 win over Roger Huerta declared a no contest by the Mississippi State Athletic Commission after greasing allegations were made. However, he said he didn’t grease then and certainly wasn’t going to against Varner.

“I think it was foul play for him to even say that because I thought we had a mutual respectful agreement that we were going to fight hard and give the fans what they wanted to see,” Guillard said. “That was what we talked about at the weigh-ins when we walked in the back. Then for him to pull that stunt and then on top of that to say that I might be greasing? That was like telling me you’re my buddy, but then going to another guy and talking behind my back.”

Guillard was also upset with the fight’s cancellation because family and friends had traveled to Las Vegas to see him compete. He’ll still get a chance to tangle with Varner, though, as the fight has been rescheduled for UFC 155 on Dec. 29.

“Deep down inside, I think the guy’s a little bit afraid of me and I’m going to prove it in two weeks because I’m not letting this fool out of the first round,” Guillard said. “I’m going to impose my will and I’m going to give him his walking papers.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:37:34).

Nevada Athletic Commission will also review Jake Shields punching Rousimar Palhares after the bell

Rousimar Palhares is not the only one facing discipline for his alleged shenanigans Saturday night. The Nevada Athletic Commission will review both the actions of Palhares and Jake Shields for unspor read news >>

NSAC drug test hearings for Anderson Silva and Nick Diaz set for Aug. 13

Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) has once again summoned Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) combatants Anderson Silva and Nick Diaz, who are required to appear before the governing body on A read news >>

UFC 189 drug test results come back clean, as does sort-of random test for Jose Aldo

Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) today (finally) released the drug test results for UFC 189, which took place inside MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Sat., July 11, 2015. Result read news >>

UFC 189 drug tests come back clean

The Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) conducted in competition and out-of-competition drug tests on fighters from UFC 189. All of them have come back negative, the NAC announced Monday. Conor McGregor read news >>

NAC issues temporary suspensions to WSOF's Rousimar Palhares, Jake Shields

The Nevada Athletic Commission disciplinary process has begun for Rousimar Palhares and Jake Shields. The NAC issued temporary suspensions Wednesday to both Palhares and Shields for their roles in a read news >>

UFC 189 Drug Test Results All Clean, Jose Aldo’s Troublesome Test Collection Detailed

The Nevada Athletic Commission on Monday revealed all UFC 189 drug tests came back clean, as well as details of Jose Aldo's bizarre sample collection incident. read news >>

Anderson Silva defense: 'Sexual performance' medication tainted drug test

Part of Anderson Silva's defense in a steroid case with the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) will be that his use of "sexual performance" medication tainted his drug test result. Silva will go before read news >>

Nevada Athletic Commission plans to 'move forward' with referee Steve Mazagatti

The next Nevada Athletic Commission hearing is scheduled for Aug. 13, however, don't expect referee Steve Mazagatti's performance in the Rousimar Palhares vs. Jake Shields World Series of Fighting we read news >>

NAC hearing for Anderson Silva discussion & updates

The Nevada State Athletic Commission will be live on Fight Pass on August 13th at 11am EST to address Anderson Silva's drug test failure among a host of other topics. The continuation of a major blac read news >>

Rousimar Palhares, Jake Shields temporarily suspended for unsportsmanlike conduct by NAC

The Nevada Athletic Commission has taken the first step in penalizing Rousimar Palhares and Jake Shields. On Thursday, the NAC suspended both Palhares and Shields temporarily for unsportsmanlike cond read news >>