matt-mitrione-18.jpgSixteen days after he was suspended by the UFC for transphobic comments directed toward transgender fighter Fallon Fox, Matt Mitrione (6-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC) has been booked for his next fight.

UFC officials announced Wednesday night that Mitrione will meet fellow “The Ultimate Fighter 10? cast member Brendan Schaub (9-3 MMA, 5-3 UFC) at UFC on FOX 8.

Featuring a flyweight title fight between current champ Demetrious Johnson and challenger John Moraga, UFC on FOX 8 takes place July 27 at Seattle’s KeyArena. The evening’s main card airs on FOX.

Mitrione fought earlier this month at UFC on FUEL TV 9, where he earned a 19-second win over Philip De Fries. Two days later, in an appearance on “The MMA Hour,” Mitrione called Fox a “lying, sick, sociopathic, disgusting freak.”

In response, the UFC issued a statement saying the “TUF 10? veteran’s contract has been suspended and he will be investigated.

“The UFC was appalled by the transphobic comments made by heavyweight Matt Mitrione today in an interview on ‘The MMA Hour,’” the statement read. “The organization finds Mr. Mitrione’s comments offensive and wholly unacceptable and – as a direct result of this significant breach of the UFC’s code of conduct – Mr. Mitrione’s UFC contract has been suspended and the incident is being investigated. The UFC is a friend and ally of the (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender) community, and expects and requires all 450 of its athletes to treat others with dignity and respect.”

At this past weekend’s UFC on FOX 7 event, UFC President Dana White said he has since spoken with Mitrione who apologized for his remarks. White said the promotion fined Mitrione but expected him to be released from suspension would soon be lifted.

“I’m not mad at Mitrione,” White said this past weekend. “He did something stupid. He knows he did something stupid. He knows the way he said it, he didn’t handle it the right way. He knows he did, so I can respect that.”

In a stat sure to draw some ire, Mitrione is now scheduled to fight 112 days after his most recent appearance, which represents the shortest span between official fights in his professional career.

Meanwhile, Schaub looks to build on the strength of a UFC 157 win over Lavar Johnson. The decision result was a much-needed win for Schaub, who has previously dropped back-to-back fights.

For the latest on UFC on FOX 8, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Matt Mitrione)

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.
From Around the Web

Related News

Tim Means steps in for Kenny Robertson, meets George Sullivan at UFC on FOX 15

  • 27 days ago
  • 6 views

Next month’s UFC return to New Jersey has had a change on the prelims, and Tim Means will make a quick turnaround to get back to work. Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

Miesha Tate meets Jessica Eye in possible title eliminator at UFC on FOX 16

  • 6 days ago
  • 6 views

Ronda Rousey broke the news, but now it's official. Miesha Tate will meet Jessica Eye in a likely women's bantamweight title eliminator at UFC on FOX 16 on July 25 in Chicago, it was announced Tuesda read news >>

Hector Lombard suspended one year for positive UFC 182 steroid test

  • 28 days ago
  • 11 views

UC welterweight Hector Lombard was suspended for one year by the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) on Monday, stemming from a failed drug test for the anabolic steroid desoxymethyltestosterone at UFC read news >>

Hector Lombard suspended one year, fined, has UFC 182 win overturned by NSAC

  • 28 days ago
  • 0 views

UFC welterweight Hector Lombard was suspended for one year, issued a fine and had his win over Josh Burkman overturned to a no-contest by the NSAC. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC welterweight Hector Lombard fined, banned for 1 year by NAC following steroid bust

  • 28 days ago
  • 10 views

The Nevada Athletic Commission has suspended UFC veteran Hector Lombard for a year after he tested positive for steroids in his UFC 182 bout with Josh Burkman. While Anderson Silva and Nick Diaz were read news >>

Kelvin Gastelum returns to middleweight, meets Nate Marquardt at UFC 188

  • 27 days ago
  • 4 views

After missing the welterweight limit twice in his past three fights, Season 17 “Ultimate Fighter” winner Kelvin Gastelum is moving back up to middleweight. Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

Nick Catone retires from MMA after UFC on FOX 15 injury withdrawal

  • 26 days ago
  • 0 views

After only one fight since 2012, Nick Catone has announced his retirement from MMA competition.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

Nick Catone Retires After Withdrawing from UFC on FOX 15 Due to Injury

  • 26 days ago
  • 0 views

Citing another injury and the desire to have a future with his family, UFC veteran Nick Catone has decided to call it a career. read news >>

Catone Out of Newark Bout, Retires from MMA

  • 27 days ago
  • 0 views

After withdrawing from his UFC on FOX bout on April 18 due to injury, UFC middleweight veteran Nick Catone has decided to retire from the sport due to lingering back issues. read news >>