UFC welterweight competitor Matt Brown joined Inside MMA to discuss his upcoming main event against Robbie Lawler this coming weekend at UFC on FOX 12.

Matt Brown is less than six days away from the biggest fight of his UFC career, and instead of potentially adjusting his training camp to suit the occasion, he has chosen to remain ‘simple' and ‘primitive' with his preparation for the contest.

Brown, who is slotted to meet the welterweight division's No. 1 contender, Robbie Lawler, in the main event of UFC on FOX 12 this coming Saturday in San Jose, is trying to keep his focus solely on his fight this weekend instead of allowing himself to soak up the moment and get caught up in his achievements to date.

"It has been a rollercoaster," Brown said. "I just kinda look more towards the future than towards the past. I don't want to get caught up in what I've already done. I look more towards what I plan on doing in the future."

Asked if he was planning anything in particular for Lawler, Brown quickly explained that he tries never to predict his opponent's actions ahead of the fight, and instead keeps his own preparation flexible.

"I try to never expect anything in a fight. I'm coming into this fight looking simply to fight. If he goes for a takedown, that's his choice. I'm prepared for that. I don't necessarily have any gameplan [prepared].  Like Bruce Lee said: ‘Be like water.' I'm ready for whatever happens."

Brown divulged further into his pre-fight preparation and revealed that he forces himself to strip away all the "fancy stuff" from the training and instead uses a primitive, simplified approach, which has worked out so far for him.

"I like to call it ‘just got back to the primitive.' It is just raw, basic stuff. All the fancy stuff was kinda holding me back and got me overthinking things - overanalyzing things. It is just staying true to who you are. Just keeping everything really simple. That is why I call it just being ‘primitive' about everything."

UFC on FOX 12 takes place July 26, 2014 at SAP Center in San Jose, California.

From Around the Web

The MMA Hour - 274 - Donald Cerrone

Donald Cerrone will discuss his UFC 187 fight against Khabib Nurmagomedov. read news >>

Watch The MMA Beat live today

On this week's episode of "The MMA Beat," the panel will discuss the UFC 189 World Tour, Brock Lesnar's decision to turn down the UFC's contract offer, Hector Lombard's suspension, the state of UFC 1 read news >>

CM Punk's Personality Will Be Bigger Key to UFC Success Than Fighting Skills

Both MMA and WWE fans eagerly anticipate CM Punk's UFC debut, but the build toward his first fight will have a larger bearing on his UFC future than the bout itself. Punk became one of the biggest st read news >>

The MMA Prospectus: Looking back at UFC Fight Night Rio & a TUF 21 & Brazil overview

Zane Simon is joined by Sherdog's Patrick Wyman to take a look at the world of MMA development and MMA prospects. read news >>

The MMA Vivisection - UFC Fight Night: Mendes vs. Lamas picks, odds, & analysis

Kid Nate is joined by Zane Simon and Victor Rodriguez for the latest episode of the MMA Vivisection as we break down the action on UFC Fight Night Fairfax this saturday, April 4th. read news >>

The MMA Hour - 276 - Julianna Pena

Julianna Pena will discuss her successful return to the UFC on Saturday and what's next for her. read news >>

Nate Diaz vs. Matt Brown Announced for UFC 189: Latest Details and Reaction

A marquee MMA matchup will unfold at UFC 189 on July 11 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas when Nate Diaz and Matt Brown tangle in the Octagon. Fox Sports 1's UFC Tonight broke the news of the im read news >>

Watch The MMA Beat live today

On this week's episode of The MMA Beat, the panel will discuss UFC on FOX 15, Phil Davis signing with Bellator, the demise of UFC 186, and much more. Watch "The MMA Beat" live today at 5 p.m. ET / 2 read news >>

The MMA Beat on UFC on FOX 15, UFC 186, and Phil Davis signing with Bellator

On the latest edition of the MMA Beat, the panelists discuss the upcoming UFC on FOX 15 fight card, the rapid decline in the UFC 186 PPV later this month in Montreal, and Bellator's recent signing of read news >>