UFC welterweight competitor Matt Brown joined Inside MMA to discuss his upcoming main event against Robbie Lawler this coming weekend at UFC on FOX 12.

Matt Brown is less than six days away from the biggest fight of his UFC career, and instead of potentially adjusting his training camp to suit the occasion, he has chosen to remain ‘simple' and ‘primitive' with his preparation for the contest.

Brown, who is slotted to meet the welterweight division's No. 1 contender, Robbie Lawler, in the main event of UFC on FOX 12 this coming Saturday in San Jose, is trying to keep his focus solely on his fight this weekend instead of allowing himself to soak up the moment and get caught up in his achievements to date.

"It has been a rollercoaster," Brown said. "I just kinda look more towards the future than towards the past. I don't want to get caught up in what I've already done. I look more towards what I plan on doing in the future."

Asked if he was planning anything in particular for Lawler, Brown quickly explained that he tries never to predict his opponent's actions ahead of the fight, and instead keeps his own preparation flexible.

"I try to never expect anything in a fight. I'm coming into this fight looking simply to fight. If he goes for a takedown, that's his choice. I'm prepared for that. I don't necessarily have any gameplan [prepared].  Like Bruce Lee said: ‘Be like water.' I'm ready for whatever happens."

Brown divulged further into his pre-fight preparation and revealed that he forces himself to strip away all the "fancy stuff" from the training and instead uses a primitive, simplified approach, which has worked out so far for him.

"I like to call it ‘just got back to the primitive.' It is just raw, basic stuff. All the fancy stuff was kinda holding me back and got me overthinking things - overanalyzing things. It is just staying true to who you are. Just keeping everything really simple. That is why I call it just being ‘primitive' about everything."

UFC on FOX 12 takes place July 26, 2014 at SAP Center in San Jose, California.

UFC 189 video: Matt Brown explains why he's 'happy' he didn't get 'bloodbath' against Nate Diaz

UFC 189 video: No. 5 ranked welterweight contender Matt Brown gives the scoop on the Nate Diaz fight that never came to be, as well as his thoughts on his next opponent on the FOX Sports 1 Prelims, T read news >>

Video: UFC 189 fighters discuss new Reebok fight-week swag, including 'Skittles' shoes

LAS VEGAS – The UFC-Reebok era is officially upon us, and the first fighters to receive their fight-week gear had some praise, some gripes and some constructive criticism. But no one seems like to th read news >>

Matt Brown: I'm happy Nate Diaz didn't agree to fight me at UFC 189

LAS VEGAS -- Matt Brown talks about his UFC 189 fight against Tim Means, his original fight against Nate Diaz falling through, how he's changed his life since losing to Johny Hendricks and more. read news >>

Matt Brown on PEDs: 'I don't want to be dead because a motherf-cker was sticking needles'

LAS VEGAS – The new era in UFC drug testing is underway, and naturally everyone has an opinion on it. But perhaps one of the most brash so far has been UFC welterweight contender Matt Brown. Filed un read news >>

Invicta FC 13: Cyborg vs. Van Duin live results and discussion

Bloody Elbow is the place to be to discuss tonight's Invicta FC 13: Cyborg vs. Van Duin card, which begins at 11 PM ET/8 PM PT from Las Vegas, Nevada. Why yes, there may be 500 UFC events coming up o read news >>

The MMA Vivisection - Invicta FC 13: Cyborg vs. Van Duin

Zane Simon is once again joined by D.E.O. and Victor Rodriguez to give you all the information you have to know for this week's Invicta FC 13 fight card, including picks and analysis of every fight. read news >>

UFC 189 Prelim Predictions, Featuring Matt Brown vs. Tim Means

International Fight Week is upon us, and one of the biggest cards of the year is set to go down. That's right, UFC 189 and its two title fights are just days away. With Conor McGregor, Chad Mendes, R read news >>

Video: CM Punk, former UFC champs Evans and Griffin train at EXOS athlete performance

CM Punk joined former UFC champions Forrest Griffin and Rashad Evans, plus #1 middleweight contender Luke Rockhold to test out the equipment at the EXOS athlete performance institute in Arizona. On t read news >>

'Predator' Groenhart: 'I want to beat Nieky Holzken up'

Murthel ‘The Predator' Groenhart achieved a lot of success when he dropped to lightweight, including his winning of the 2012 K-1 WORLD MAX tournament. But recently his results have been more mixed an read news >>

TUF 21 Finale: 3 Things to Look for in Michelle Waterson's UFC Debut

Michelle Waterson, former Invicta FC atomweight champion, joined the UFC earlier this year and will make her in-cage debut on July 12th against Angela Magana. It was a significant signing for the gro read news >>