Martin Kampmann wants Tarec Saffiedine, Nick Diaz – or Georges St-Pierre next


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit

martin-kampmann-19.jpgMartin Kampmann must be itching to get back in the octagon, or at least itching to know what’s next for him.

The UFC welterweight on Sunday called out a trio of fighters, all champions or former champs.

Kampmann (20-6 MMA, 11-5 UFC) said he’d welcome a fight with final Strikeforce champion Tarec Saffiedine (14-3 MMA, 0-0 UFC) or the loser of Saturday’s UFC 158 main event title fight between Georges St-Pierre (23-2 MMA, 17-2 UFC) and former Strikeforce champ Nick Diaz (26-8 MMA, 7-5 UFC).

UFC 158 takes place at Montreal’s Bell Centre with a main card on pay-per-view after prelims on FX and Facebook.

Kampmann currently isn’t scheduled for his next fight. In November at UFC 154, also in Montreal, he was knocked out by Johny Hendricks (14-1 MMA, 9-1 UFC) with one punch in just 46 seconds.

Kampmann, on his Twitter feed, said he’d like to return to action this summer against Saffiedine or Diaz – in the process giving him prediction of who will win Saturday’s title fight.

“No fights lined up yet, but I would like to get one this summer against strikeforce champ Saffiedine or Diaz after gsp beats him up,” Kampmann stated.

But if Diaz pulls off the upset – St-Pierre is as much as a 5-to-1 favorite in the fight – Kampmann said he’d gladly fight St-Pierre, too.

“If Diaz pulls it off I will be happy to fight gsp as well, I would actually prefer that,” he stated.

Kampmann had a three-fight win streak snapped with his November loss to Hendricks, the first time he had been knocked out in more than three years. Prior to the Hendricks fight, Kampmann had vaulted up the welterweight ranks after close decision losses to Jake Shields and Diego Sanchez (two fights which many believe he won) with wins over Rick Story and bonus-winning victories over Thiago Alves and Jake Ellenberger.

Saffiedine won the final Strikeforce 170-pound belt in January at the promotion’s finale before folding into the UFC. He upset Nate Marquardt with a dominant unanimous decision to win the title. He doesn’t have his UFC debut scheduled yet. He closed out his Strikeforce career with four straight wins and went 6-1 in that promotion.

Barring a fight with Saffiedine, if he wants the loser of Saturday’s main event between St-Pierre and Diaz, it would be a fight that could help put him right back in title contention with a win. St-Pierre hasn’t lost in nearly six years and has won 10 straight. Diaz comes into the fight after a yearlong suspension he was given for testing positive for marijuana metabolites after a loss to Carlos Condit more than a year ago at UFC 143. Before that decision setback, he had an 11-fight win streak.

For more on UFC 158, as well as the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Martin Kampmann)

view original article >>

Related News

  • 24 days ago
  • 340 views

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has apologized for his support of a friend who was arrested and pleaded guilty to drug-trafficking charges. more

  • 29 days ago
  • 83 views

... in the most Nick Diaz way possible. Though based on his latest round of contract talks with Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), we may see Anderson Silva return from his shattered shin before Diaz emerges from his self-imposed retirement. And what of the chatter that he'll eventually throw down against "The Spider?" Just rumors for now, but if there is one thing we've learned in the fight game, never say never. Well, usually. more

  • 29 days ago
  • 94 views

Georges St-Pierre is the former UFC welterweight champion and is one of the most dominant champions in UFC history. St-Pierre has held the title twice and defended it a total of nine times. After a decision victory over Johny Hendricks at UFC 167 in November 2013, St-Pierre decided to take "an indefinite hiatus" and vacated his welterweight title. During his time on hiatus, he managed to tear his ACL for a second time, although on a different leg than his first ACL tear. An injury like that may more

  • 24 days ago
  • 76 views

Money remains the major hangup for the boys from Stockton, CA. After UFC lightweight Myles Jury took to Twitter Sunday in an attempt to lure Nate Diaz back into action, the younger Diaz brother again responded only with gripes about his current contract with the promotion. .@NateDiaz209 I respect u a lot, BUT... I confirmed to fight you & have been waiting on you for a week. Are we getting after it or what? — Myles Jury (@FuryJury) June 29, 2014 Bout my money #breakbread till then don't call .. more

  • 24 days ago
  • 38 views

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has released a letter explaining his recent support for a friend – one who’s also a drug kingpin currently awaiting trial for trafficking and other crimes.Filed under: News, UFC more

  • 24 days ago
  • 125 views

Anderson Silva will return to the Octagon in 2015, and he welcomes the idea of fighting Nick Diaz. In a recent media scrum in Rio de Janeiro, Silva confirmed he won’t compete this year since he’s "not feeling safe to return (in 2014)," and a fight with Diaz, a former welterweight title contender who is currently retired, would be interesting. "Well, if everybody is saying that it would be an interesting fight, what am I going to say?" Silva said. "It could be an interesting fight." Silva sparred more

  • 24 days ago
  • 113 views

"The Spider" has no desire to complete a trilogy against the UFC middleweight champion but would accept a fight with Nick Diaz. Anderson Silva still doesn't know how long is going it take for him step on the octagon again but the former UFC middleweight champion told Brazilian media that he is open to the possible fight between him and Nick Diaz. However, "The Spider" doesn't feel that he and Chris Weidman should fight each other one more time, as the current UFC 185-pound champion is 2-0 in the more

  • 24 days ago
  • 15 views

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has released a letter explaining his recent support for a friend – one who’s also a drug kingpin currently awaiting trial for trafficking and other crimes.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC more

  • 23 days ago
  • 55 views

Nick and Nate Diaz appear willing to continue their battle with the UFC over fighter pay as long as it takes after both used social media to make their continued complaints clear. Nick Diaz and brother Nate Diaz are in a very unique situation in the modern mixed martial arts world. Where the UFC has failed in creating compelling, high drawing stars, the Diaz brothers--Nick especially--remain "mainstream attractions." This may be in large part due to antics that some find tasteless or objectionab more