If there’s one thing that you can say about UFC middleweight contender Mark Munoz outside of the cage is that he’s a nice guy.

Rarely will you see the coach and father of four not walking around without a smile on his face, ready to greet fans or anybody with a handshake or a hug.

But in the tough guy world of mixed martial arts, the nice guy isn’t always the one that gets the most attention despite their accomplishments inside the Octagon. Sometimes it takes a little something extra to push you to that next level.

Take for instance fellow UFC middleweight Chael Sonnen, who for years was a mid tier fighter who routinely bounced between wins and losses, but once he started to put a string of victories together he also found the gift of gab. Sonnne’s mic skills took him to a whole other stratosphere when it came to promoting fights.

Now, make no mistake about it Mark Munoz isn’t looking to become Chael Sonnen when it comes to pre-fight trash talk, but he is ready to be very vocal about a subject he’s become quite passionate about.

Fighting for the UFC middleweight title.

“I think that’s setting it up to where should I win that fight, I should be getting a title shot. I’m looking to win the fight, I’m looking to win it with flying colors, and I’m definitely going to be requesting after the fight a title shot,” Munoz told MMAWeekly Radio recently.

“The thing is I’ve always said that I’m going to let my fighting do the talking, and my fighting has done the talking, but now I’m going to do both. I’m going to state my case. I’m going to let the fighting do the talking and I’m also going to verbalize it and say I deserve a title shot.”

Currently on a four-fight win streak, Munoz faces Chris Weidman in the main event of the upcoming UFC on Fuel TV 4 show headed to San Jose on Wednesday night.

Over the last few months fighters like Michael Bisping and Hector Lombard have been very vocal in their desire to get to the top contender’s spot, but Munoz has kept his head down and just tried to earn it.

Now he’s ready to do both and it starts with his fight on Wednesday.

Munoz has been an NCAA champion and at 34-years of age he believes that there is no better time than the present for him to show what it takes to be the man to next challenge Anderson Silva for the UFC middleweight title.

“I do feel that this is my time. I do feel that all the events leading up to this point have actually culminated up to this point of my career. After having the career that I have had, it’s a lot of ups and downs and I think a career’s going to go through that. Mine is no different,” said Munoz.

“I’ve been through the ups and downs and the times when I was down are the times where I had to get back up and climb again. Those are the times that actually made me tougher and those times are the times that are going to help me get to the top. I truly believe this is my time.”

He’ll go a long way to proving that if he can take out Weidman at UFC on Fuel 4 and then if he is victorious expect Munoz to take the time to tell UFC commentator Kenny Florian exactly what he wants next.

Munoz will call for a fight with Anderson Silva with the UFC middleweight title on the line, and if he’s victorious he’ll have gone an awful long way to proving he’s the man destined for the challenge.

Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Go Inside the Octagon with Joanna Jedrzejczyk and Karolina Kowalkiewicz (video) | MMAWeekly.com

Strawweights Joanna Jedrzejczyk vs. Karolina Kowalkiewicz and middleweights Chris Weidman vs. Yoel Romero get the Inside The Octagon treatment ahead of UFC 205. read news >>

UFC Unfiltered: Eddie Alvarez and Chris Weidman

Lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez calls in after training to discuss his first title defense against Conor McGregor at UFC 205. Later, former UFC Middleweight champ Chris Weidman calls in to talk ab read news >>

Live from New York UFC 205 blog: NY native Chris Weidman ready for Romero challenge

As Chris Weidman checked in for his UFC 205 bout against Yoel Romero, he’s already seen it all from the media celebrating the Long Islander’s first bout in New York. All except queries about his oppo read news >>

UFC 205's Chris Weidman on Yoel Romero: 'I want to make him pay' for failed drug test

NEW YORK – Chris Weidman has been a career-long advocate of punishing steroid and banned substance users to the harshest degree no matter the circumstances around a test failure. He doesn’t feel any read news >>

Champ Michael Bisping shuts down Chris Weidman's title-shot claim: 'I make the (expletive) decisions'

NEW YORK – Champion Michael Bisping isn’t buying Chris Weidman’s recent claims that he’s been guaranteed the next UFC middleweight title shot with a victory over Yoel Romero tonight at UFC 205.Filed read news >>

Twitter reacts to Yoel Romero's crowd-silencing TKO of New York's Chris Weidman at UFC 205

Yoel Romero turned Chris Weidman’s dream of fighting in his home state into a nightmare when he defeated the former UFC champion on Saturday’s UFC 205 main card at Madison Square Garden in New York C read news >>

UFC 205 results: Yoel Romero unleashes vicious knee on Chris Weidman for bloody TKO

NEW YORK – Heading into the final round, Yoel Romero’s corner told him that he likely needed a finish against Chris Weidman. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Yoel Romero Finishes Chris Weidman to Earn Title Shot (UFC 205 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Former middleweight champion Chris Weidman made his first Octagon appearance since losing the belt to Luke Rockhold last December on Saturday against Yoel Romero. read news >>

Yoel Romero Destroys Chris Weidman with Flying Knee, Stakes Claim for Title Shot

Yoel Romero is a terrifying human being, and that was on full display at UFC 205 Saturday night at Madison Square Garden in New York. Facing former middleweight champ Chris Weidman, Romero countered read news >>

Chris Weidman vs. Yoel Romero Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 205

Well it looks as though we have ourselves a top contender for the middleweight title. With Luke Rockhold hurt and Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza in some weird, paid-to-cut-weight-but-not-actually-fighting-th read news >>