Mark Hunt is a man who has seen his ups and downs during more than two decades of fighting.

The 2001 K-1 world grand prix champion, Hunt transitioned to mixed martial arts in 2004 and won five of his first six bouts before dropping six straight fights. Though initially unwanted by the UFC during the organization’s buyout of Pride, Hunt shocked many observers by winning four straight contests after stumbling in his UFC debut.

Now, the 39-year-old likely stands just one victory away from a title shot, as the New Zealander meets former champion Junior dos Santos on Saturday night at UFC 160. Although many fans and media members counted Hunt out during his losing streak, the heavyweight recently told Sherdog.com that he never lost faith in himself.

“Other people may be surprised, but I’ve always believed I was the best fighter in the world,” Hunt said. “I’m just trying to prove it in a different sport. Twelve years after winning the K-1 world title -- whatever happened in between -- it just shows that I’m not a quitter. You understand that? I’m here till the end.

“It’s been 22 years [I’ve been] a fighter. I had my first fight a week after meeting my first trainer. When God says it’s time for me to be done, then I’m done. In my heart, I still think I’m supposed to be fighting,” Hunt continued. “That’s why I’m still here, after six losses in a row, getting beaten down and still coming back. It’ll happen when I’m told it’s going to happen. If it comes this weekend that I don’t feel like fighting anymore, that’s what’s going to happen, but they’ll have to carry me out of the cage. I’ll go out on my back. I don’t give a damn.”

In dos Santos, Hunt faces a heavy-handed Brazilian whose lone UFC loss came to reigning champion Cain Velasquez. Much like his opponent, “Cigano” has earned the vast majority of his victories by way of knockout, a fact of which Hunt -- a man known for his iron chin and punching power -- is well aware.

“It’s the heavyweight division, and anything can make this really, really dangerous for the other person. Honestly, if he thinks there’s not going to be [danger] if I touch him with anything, he’s going to be in trouble,” said Hunt. “I’ve always said that anyone can be knocked out. It’s just a matter of where, when and how you get hit. It doesn’t matter how hard you hit. It’s just a matter of timing. If they get it right, you’re done.”

Is UFC 199 the end of the line for Dan Henderson? (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Hendo's contract is expiring and he's got plenty of options on the table. In his own words: 'This could actually be the last fight.' read news >>

Is UFC 199 the end of the line for Dan Henderson? (Yahoo Sports)

Brock Lesnar Couldn’t Live with What Could Have Been, Will Fight Mark Hunt at UFC 200

Former heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar says that he couldn't live with wondering what could have been, so he's returning at UFC 200 to fight Mark Hunt. read news >>

Brock Lesnar vs. Mark Hunt Announced for UFC 200: Latest Comments and Reaction

Late last year, Brock Lesnar said he felt he got "robbed" by diverticulitis that cost him the prime of his UFC career. Now, as he prepares for a one-off return at UFC 200, Lesnar's ready to prove to read news >>

UFC 200 Shocker: Did the UFC Get It Right with Brock Lesnar vs. Mark Hunt?

There were a lot of surprises to be had at UFC 199. From Michael Bisping winning the middleweight title to Dan Henderson's elbow of Hector Lombard to Nate Diaz vs. Conor McGregor 2 getting finalized read news >>

Mark Hunt Comments on Brock Lesnar's Drug Testing Exemption

It didn't take long for the war of words between Brock Lesnar and Mark Hunt to go from professionally combative to personal. Hunt, speaking to UFC Fight Week on Fox Sports, accused Lesnar of being on read news >>

Mark Hunt Doesn’t Think Brock Lesnar’s UFC 200 USADA Exemption is Fair

Brock Lesnar received an exemption to be eligible for UFC 200. Mark Hunt, doesn't think it's fair, but also doesn't think it will change the fight's result. read news >>

UFC 200 Video: Mark Hunt Talks about His Fight Against ‘Juiced to the Gills’ Brock Lesnar

Heavyweight contender Mark Hunt talks about his upcoming fight against Brock Lesnar at UFC 200, and believes Lesnar is 'juiced to the gills.' read news >>

Mark Hunt UFC 200 Scrum Video: You Can’t Really Knock Brock Lesnar’s Accomplishments

• a day ago

Mark Hunt talks about his UFC 200 fight with Brock Lesnar, the former UFC champion's special drug testing exemption, and what the bout means for him. read news >>

UFC 200 Free Fight Video: Mark Hunt Knocks Out Frank Mir

• a day ago

Mark Hunt had yet another walk-off knock out victory in his last fight. This time Frank Mir fell victim in the very first round at UFC Fight Night Brisbane. read news >>