Mark Hunt is a man who has seen his ups and downs during more than two decades of fighting.

The 2001 K-1 world grand prix champion, Hunt transitioned to mixed martial arts in 2004 and won five of his first six bouts before dropping six straight fights. Though initially unwanted by the UFC during the organization’s buyout of Pride, Hunt shocked many observers by winning four straight contests after stumbling in his UFC debut.

Now, the 39-year-old likely stands just one victory away from a title shot, as the New Zealander meets former champion Junior dos Santos on Saturday night at UFC 160. Although many fans and media members counted Hunt out during his losing streak, the heavyweight recently told Sherdog.com that he never lost faith in himself.

“Other people may be surprised, but I’ve always believed I was the best fighter in the world,” Hunt said. “I’m just trying to prove it in a different sport. Twelve years after winning the K-1 world title -- whatever happened in between -- it just shows that I’m not a quitter. You understand that? I’m here till the end.

“It’s been 22 years [I’ve been] a fighter. I had my first fight a week after meeting my first trainer. When God says it’s time for me to be done, then I’m done. In my heart, I still think I’m supposed to be fighting,” Hunt continued. “That’s why I’m still here, after six losses in a row, getting beaten down and still coming back. It’ll happen when I’m told it’s going to happen. If it comes this weekend that I don’t feel like fighting anymore, that’s what’s going to happen, but they’ll have to carry me out of the cage. I’ll go out on my back. I don’t give a damn.”

In dos Santos, Hunt faces a heavy-handed Brazilian whose lone UFC loss came to reigning champion Cain Velasquez. Much like his opponent, “Cigano” has earned the vast majority of his victories by way of knockout, a fact of which Hunt -- a man known for his iron chin and punching power -- is well aware.

“It’s the heavyweight division, and anything can make this really, really dangerous for the other person. Honestly, if he thinks there’s not going to be [danger] if I touch him with anything, he’s going to be in trouble,” said Hunt. “I’ve always said that anyone can be knocked out. It’s just a matter of where, when and how you get hit. It doesn’t matter how hard you hit. It’s just a matter of timing. If they get it right, you’re done.”

Junior dos Santos on Alistair Overeem: 'He's a better talker than a fighter'

Injured Junior dos Santos responded to Alistair Overeem's recent comments about wanting to fight him. read news >>

UFC HW Mark Hunt on Stipe Miocic, Humble Beginnings and a Golden Future

In an MMA landscape populated by over-puffed chests and disingenuous verbal barbs, there's something refreshing about UFC heavyweight Mark "The Super Samoan" Hunt. The 41-year-old striker from New Ze read news >>

The MMA Hour - 280 - Junior dos Santos

Junior dos Santos discusses his recent injury rehab and what's next for him. read news >>

Junior dos Santos: Alistair Overeem ‘is a better talker than a fighter’

Alistair Overeem was matched up twice against Junior dos Santos in the UFC, but had to pull out both times for different reasons. "The Reem" is once again calling out the former champion, and the Bra read news >>

The MMA Hour with Daniel Cormier, Anthony Johnson, Junior dos Santos, Ryan Bader, Malki Kawa, Michelle Waterson, Jessica

The Mixed Martial Arts Hour is back in your life. Below is a look at Monday's rundown: 1:00 p.m. ET -- MMAFighting.com's Luke Thomas will recap Mayweather vs. Pacquaio and talk about the fall of Jon read news >>

Stipe Miocic vs. Mark Hunt: A Full Head-to-Toe Breakdown

UFC Fight Night 65 comes your way this Saturday, and the event features a top-five heavyweight main event. No. 4-ranked heavyweight contender Stipe Miocic battles No. 5-ranked Mark Hunt in a bout sch read news >>

Junior dos Santos and Rogerio Nogueira pick Pacquiao over Mayweather

Two Brazilian UFC stars with serious boxing knowledge favor Manny Pacquiao over favorite Floyd Mayweather. For JDS, Pacquiao's speed will be the main difference. Floyd Mayweather might be the favorit read news >>

You can still buy Mayweather-Pacquiao tickets: Prices plummet after resale market 'crashed'

Scalpers just got to the end of the rainbow and DOH! There's no pot of gold. Awwww. Tickets for the Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao mega-fight, which takes place this Saturday night (May 2, 2015) read news >>

Stipe Miocic: fire-fighting sports star aims to silence Mark Hunt

The Croatian-American received interest from Major League Baseball in college, before turning his hand to both wrestling (where he achieved a NCAA Division I ranking) and boxing (where he earned a "G read news >>