Mark Hunt gets UFC 160 shot at former champ Junior dos Santos after all


mark-hunt-8.jpgThe soap opera was short-lived, but it appears to have a good ending right now.

Heavyweight Mark Hunt (9-7 MMA, 4-1 UFC) will meet former champion Junior dos Santos (15-2 MMA, 9-1 UFC) in May at UFC 160. The news comes just a few days after UFC President Dana White said Hunt turned down the chance to fight dos Santos. But a rather quick turn of events and a phone call have turned things around.

MMAFighting.com on Saturday reported the fight booking, citing White, and UFC officials later made the bout official.

UFC 160 takes place May 25 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook. In the main event, heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez defends his title against Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva.

Earlier this week, former No. 1 contender Alistair Overeem (36-12 MMA, 1-1 UFC) pulled out of a highly anticipated fight with dos Santos in the co-main event slot of the card. A thigh injury was the culprit, and the initial plan was for that fight to be rebooked for the summer.

When Overeem pulled out of the fight with dos Santos, Hunt’s name immediately came to the forefront after his upset of Stefan Struve at UFC on FUEL TV 8 a week ago – a knockout win in which he shattered the 7-footer’s jaw. But White said on Twitter that Hunt turned down the opportunity to fill in for Overeem.
White also said the New Zealander would get a big fight his next time out, despite turning down the JDS fight, given his four straight UFC wins. But on Friday, White said on Twitter that he had a phone conversation with Hunt that went well. And in the wake of that, dos Santos won’t have to wait until summer before fighting again and Hunt has his next big fight.

Hunt came to the UFC in 2010 on a five-fight losing skid for PRIDE and DREAM – but all losses to some of the sport’s biggest names: Josh Barnett, Fedor Emelianenko, Overeem, Melvin Manhoef and Gegard Mousasi. He was owed fights from Zuffa’s purchase of PRIDE, and after a quick submission loss to Sean McCorkle in his promotional debut at UFC 119, he wasn’t thought to be much of a factor in the heavyweight division.

But he snapped his six-fight losing streak with a “Submission of the Night” win over Chris Tuchscerer at UFC 127, outpointed Ben Rothwell at UFC 135 and stopped Cheick Kongo in the first round at UFC 144. After a year off, he returned to Japan and got a “Knockout of the Night” bonus for his war and ultimate destruction of Struve – which came despite about a 14-inch height differential.

As for dos Santos, he’ll fight for the first time since losing his heavyweight title to Velasquez in a rematch this past December at UFC 155. That dominating five-round win for Velasquez not only allowed him to recapture the title dos Santos took from him with a 64-second knockout at UFC on FOX 1, but snapped dos Santos’ 10-fight win streak.

For the latest on UFC 160, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Mark Hunt)

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 3 days ago
  • 28 views

It’s hard to believe a fighter like Junior dos Santos, a former UFC champion with a record of 16-3, may be a man with no place to go, but that’s the situation before him now. Granted, the UFC will no read news >>

  • 13 days ago
  • 225 views

Uh, guys? Guys? Aren't we all forgetting something here? It's pretty important, actually. Not, like, water and food important, but at least as important as remembering to turn off the stove after usi read news >>

  • 8 days ago
  • 14 views

Can Fabricio Werdum shock the world once again and dethrone Cain Velasquez at UFC 180? Junior dos Santos thinks so. A former UFC heavyweight champion and the only man to knock both Werdum and Velasqu read news >>

  • 12 days ago
  • 142 views

Two years after signing a contract with the UFC, Geronimo dos Santos is no longer on the UFC roster. "Mondragon" signed with the promotion in 2012 to compete at the UFC 153 card in Rio de Janeiro aga read news >>

  • 22 days ago
  • 77 views

The sport of mixed martial arts carries a 24-hour news cycle, and there appears to be something brewing with Mark Hunt's current employment status with the UFC. While Monday was monopolized with the read news >>

  • 9 days ago
  • 375 views

It turns out Mark Hunt wasn't just playing around a couple weeks back, when he tweeted that he was going to be 'unemployed.' Mark Hunt caused a buzz a few weeks ago, when he tweeted, "Not my choice g read news >>

  • 18 days ago
  • 4 views

UFC heavyweight Mark Hunt reveals the reason as to why he publicly stated that he was fired from the UFC on twitter. Apparently when Mark Hunt is hungry, he mistakenly assumes he is an unemployed man read news >>

  • 21 days ago
  • 22 views

WTF? Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) was expected to send heavyweight slugger Mark Hunt into the headliner of its upcoming UFC Fight Night 52 mixed martial arts (MMA) event, scheduled for the Sa read news >>

  • 22 days ago
  • 33 views

Mark Hunt sent out cryptic tweets, stating that he is now 'unemployed'. Does this mean his UFC: Japan headlining bout is off? Although booked to face Roy Nelson as the headliner for UFC: Japan next m read news >>