Marcus Davis and Jeremy Stephens at UFC 125Over this past year, former UFC welterweight Marcus “Irish Hand Grenade” Davis has overcome an issue with weight, which he feels cost him in his time with the promotion.

Previously having had to cut down from over 200 pounds, Davis discovered medical issues which kept him heavy going into fights, and having since worked to overcome those issues, things have gone much better for him.

“It’s been since about September 2012 since my health really turned around and I haven’t had any relapse of the issues I’ve had since then and I haven’t been above 185 pounds since then,” he said. “It’s a huge difference to have that 30-40 pound difference of weight to walk around at.”

In three fights since getting his issues under control, Davis has won two (with one no contest) in dominating fashion.

“When I fought David Bielkheden, I went into his hometown and dropped him three times in the first round and then I took him right to the ground and beat him the whole time on the ground,” said Davis. “It showed how good my jiu-jitsu defense and my wrestling have become; I got every takedown on him and dominated him.

“Against Darrius Heylinger, I’ve always had problems against guys over six feet, but I was able to work out a very good game plan against him and out-struck him and out-wrestled him, and once again won every round.”

Davis (22-9) is feeling so good these days that he’s made the decision to drop down to 155 pounds and will make his debut at the weight in the opening round of this season’s Bellator lightweight tournament on Friday against top Russian fighter Alexander “Tiger” Sarnavskiy (23-1).

“(Sarnavskiy) is going to be taller than me, but his reach is only like two inches longer than mine, so I don’t think that’s going to matter much in the fight,” said Davis. “I know everybody talks about how strong this kid is, but I guarantee he’s not going to be as strong as I am.

“I have strength and experience on my side, so I’m looking forward to this fight.”

In the past, Davis admittedly has gotten caught up in trying to make a fight as exciting as possible and gotten into exchanges he probably should have. For this fight and tournament in general, Davis told MMAWeekly.com that he’s going to avoid such tactics and fight as intelligently as possible.

“I don’t think it’s going to be a slugfest, or at least I don’t intend it to be,” he said. “When I fought in the UFC, I did fight to entertain and I did take it to the point to where the UFC was giving huge (finish) bonuses, so I got into this groove where I was paid to do that, and that’s what I did.

“I’m fighting, in my opinion, the most dangerous guy in the tournament stylistically, so I’ve got to go out there, be smart, not get hit a lot and look to finish this kid any way that comes up.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Chael Sonnen to Bellator: Latest Contract Details, Comments, Reaction

Veteran MMA fighter Chael Sonnen has left UFC and signed a multiyear deal with Bellator, Damon Martin of Fox Sports reported Thursday. MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani confirmed Martin's report. The 39-y read news >>

Chael Sonnen Leaves UFC, Signs with Bellator | MMAWeekly.com

Chael Sonnen has officially ended his retirement from MMA competition. But he's not coming back to the UFC. read news >>

Ronda Rousey Fought Chael Sonnen? Sonnen Tells the True Tale | MMAWeekly.com

Chael Sonnen, who is returning to the fight game in 2016 with Bellator, tells the tale of the time he and Ronda Rousey allegedly fought in a restaurant. read news >>

Why Did Chael Sonnen Return to Fight for Bellator, Not the UFC? | MMAWeekly.com

A day after Chael Sonnen inked a deal to return to MMA to fight for Bellator, not the UFC, the American Gangster hosted a throng of media to answer why. read news >>

Chael Sonnen Faces Crippling Fines if He Tests Positive at Bellator | MMAWeekly.com

In his return, Chael Sonnen has to endure much tougher drug testing scrutiny. If he slips up, his contract imposes crippling financial repercussions. read news >>

Return of the American Gangster: Chael Sonnen Opens Up About Move to Bellator

Chael Sonnen had every intention of returning to the UFC. Until he didn’t. Whatever the reason, one of the UFC’s most controversial, entertaining and bankable figures over the past seven years found read news >>

Bellator 161 Results: Cheick Kongo, Joe Warren Pick Up Wins in Texas | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator 161 landed in Cedar Park, Texas on Friday night, and the card was capped off with a heavyweight affair. read news >>

Bellator 161 Results: Winners, Scorecards from Kongo vs. Johnson Card

On Friday night in the main event of Bellator 161, Cheick Kongo won a woeful heavyweight bout via majority decision over Tony Johnson. If you wanted to make someone hate mixed martial arts, you shoul read news >>

Bellator 161: Kongo vs. Johnson Fight Highlights | MMAWeekly.com

Check out the Bellator 161 fight highlights, where Cheick Kongo got the better of Tony Johnson, and former champ Joe Warren got back on the winning track. read news >>

Top UFC Feeder Leagues Announce Merger | MMAWeekly.com

The two leading feeder organizations to UFC and Bellator are merging in 2017. read news >>