Mac Danzig at the UFC 124 Post-Fight Press Conference

TUF season seven winner Mac Danzig (20-9) has had his fair share of ups and downs in the road as a mixed martial artist.

With a record of UFC record of 4-5, Danzig doesn’t have that kind of unbelievable resume that screams title shot, but for Danzig that’s not really all that bad.  Clearly, the 32-year-old wants to better his resume and improve as a fighter, and he’ll keep trying to evolve as a martial artist.

But for Danzig, titles aren’t everything. It’s more than fine to just be a competitor in the sport living your dream.  And as long as he’s realistic about himself and his goals, Danzig feels just fine with life, as he knows it heading into his bout with Efrain Escudero at UFC 145 this Saturday.

“It all depends on your motivation for these type of things and you also have to be a realist,” Danzig told MMAWeekly Radio.

“A lot of these guys put that out there like a broken record, ‘yeah, you know I want to get the title and everything,’ but I’m a realist.  It’s after I beat Efrain, I’ll need six solid wins in a row, and then they’ll be like, ‘hey you’ve gotten back on track, we’re going to put you in a no. 1 contender fight,’ or something like that; otherwise it’s not even on the horizon.”

Over the years, Danzig feels that some of the fans and pundits have become so ranking obsessed that they just write off talented fighters for never having held a belt.  And it’s okay if you’re just a good UFC fighter that never won a title, as long as you went out there and gave it everything you had.

Danzig fights for only himself and his daughter, and titles to him are only material objects and it’ll be no different come Saturday night.  The journey is what’s most important at the end of the day.

“Yeah, it is okay to be a UFC fighter that’s working hard and competing and not really worried about (the UFC title).  I’ll worry about that when it comes.  This whole thing is a journey for me.  I do what I can every single time out, I learn from my mistakes, and I learn from my experiences; and if you don’t learn and evolve, then you just don’t.  You get pushed along to the wayside but I’m just doing my thing.

“My motivation right now is to become better and to support my kid.  That’s a means to support an end right there, like making the money to support my kid.  It’s not just a job for me; I’m doing this because I love it.  I don’t want to go back to doing a job from nine to five and I don’t ever want to do something like that.  As hard as this job is, and being a professional fighter for so many reasons is one of the hardest jobs in the world, and raising a kid while you do it is hard, but this is what I chose and I’m glad I chose it.”

Follow Andrew Gladstone at @gladstone1 on Twitter.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Bubba McDaniel choses jail over traffic ticket while struggling to find regional fights

Former TUF cast member and UFC fighter Bubba McDaniel got to spend a day in Jail, after getting stuck with a traffic ticket for not wearing a seat belt. Life for MMA fighters outside the UFC just isn read news >>

Amid UFC Return Talk, Chuck O'Neil Solely Focused on Defending CES Title

Chuck O’Neil’s hips don’t lie. The CES welterweight champ is enjoying life as a vastly improved fighter and an overall better version of himself. No, this isn’t the same O’Neil you remember from The read news >>

Vitor Miranda vs. Clint Hester booked for UFC 190

TUF Brazil 3 runner-up Vitor Miranda, who successfully cut from heavyweight to middleweight to earn his first UFC victory, is scheduled to face Clint Hester at UFC 190 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on A read news >>

Marcio Alexandre Jr. meets George Sullivan at Las Vegas' TUF 21 Finale in July

A welterweight bout between a pair of hard hitters looking to rebound from losses to Tim Means is the latest addition to July’s lineup for The Ultimate Fighter 21 Finale.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

'TUF 21: ATT vs. Blackzilians' blog: Michael Graves on episode No. 8

In his weekly blog for MMAjunkie, “The Ultimate Fighter 21? cast member and American Top Team representative Michael Graves discusses the season’s eighth episode.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

TUF 21 American Top Team vs. Blackzilians: Episode 8 Results and Recap

With American Top Team reeling and the Blackzilians streaking, who would snag the last 50-point fight going into the final round? That was the big question going into episode eight of The Ultimate Fi read news >>

Knockout Radio Live: Ken Shamrock and TUF 21 Fight Winner

Tune in Thursday, June 11, at 6 p.m. EST, for Knockout Radio LIVE with Bellator heavyweight and UFC Hall of Famer Ken Shamrock, and the latest TUF 21 fight winner. read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter 21 live discussion: Episode 8

Tonight, we have you covered for live coverage of episode 8 of The Ultimate Fighter. TUF: American Top Team vs. Blackzilians airs tonight at 10 pm on Fox Sports 1. Join us here for live discussion. T read news >>

On mend from 11th surgery, 'TUF 11' winner Court McGee hopes to return this year

Since Court McGee won “The Ultimate Fighter 11,” he’s had more surgeries than fights – 11 to be exact.Filed under: Featured Videos, MMAjunkie Radio, News, Radio Highlight, UFC read news >>

Uriah Hall steps in to face Krzysztof Jotko at UFC Fight Night Berlin

The TUF 17 veteran replaces Derek Brunson, who pulled out with a rib injury. Another alteration has occurred to the UFC Fight Night: Jedrzejczyk vs. Penne event, as Derek Brunson pulled out of his fi read news >>