MFC Releases Drew Fickett Following Second Consecutive Loss


Drew Fickett

Drew Fickett

The Maximum Fighting Championship on Monday released former MFC lightweight contender Drew Fickett from his contract with the promotion.

An MFC press release stated that Fickett, after losing to Brian Cobb at MFC 30, was granted permission to fight for the Dream promotion this past weekend. Fickett suffered a second consecutive defeat in Japan, which MFC says nullified his contract.

“Drew had the consent of the MFC to fight in Japan, but he and his management were expressly told that if he lost badly again he would be released, and therefore Drew has been released,” explained MFC owner and president Mark Pavelich.

“I will not have guys coming and going from the MFC and thinking what they do in other organizations won’t have an effect on where they stand in the Maximum Fighting Championship. I have a lot of respect for Drew, especially in the way he turned his life around and I wish him the best of luck in his future.”

Fickett was scheduled to be part of the line-up for the upcoming MFC 31 fight card scheduled for Oct. 14.

Fickett had been on a five-fight winning streak prior to the loss to Cobb. It was a miraculous turn in his career after enduring a stretch where he went 2-8 amidst a slew of personal issues.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 28 days ago
  • 657 views

Sound familiar? Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight contender Conor McGregor was a guest on SI Now earlier today (Fri., Nov. 21, 2014) and the "Notorious" featherweight was asked if he read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 6 views

The Ultimate Fighting Championship released the attendance and gate figures following Saturday's UFC Fight Night: Edgar vs. Swanson in Austin, Texas. read news >>

  • 19 days ago
  • 69 views

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight contender Frankie Edgar, who blew the doors off No. 2-ranked Cub Swanson earlier this month in Austin, Texas, argued his case for a crack at the 145 read news >>

  • 18 days ago
  • 1 views

After nearly 70 professional mixed martial arts (MMA) fights, Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight veteran Yves Edwards is dropping the curtain on his cagefighting career. From his offici read news >>

  • 13 days ago
  • 2 views

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) has released its fifth and final "Embedded" pre-fight video blog for UFC 181 (see the first four here, here, here, and here) ahead of tonight's (Sat., Dec. 6, 201 read news >>

  • 12 days ago
  • 51 views

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight kingpin Anthony Pettis couldn't even have a few hours to enjoy his first-ever title defense, a sensational second-round submission win over Gilbert Me read news >>

  • 10 days ago
  • 64 views

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight titleholder Anthony Pettis was suspended for six months by Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) following his UFC 181 title defense against Strikef read news >>

  • 7 days ago
  • 1 views

After being released by the Ultimate Fighting Championship in September, Francis Carmont has signed with Bellator MMA. read news >>

  • 6 days ago
  • 1 views

Former WEC lightweight champion Jamie Varner announced his retirement from MMA on Saturday, just moments after a first-round loss to Drew Dober at UFC on FOX 13. In his retirement announcement in the read news >>

Jump to: