MFC MW Champ Elvis MutapcicComing back from injury is never easy, but when you had the kind of year in 2012 that Elvis “The King” Mutapcic had, it makes things a little less painful.

In three fights, Mutapcic managed to finish all three opponents and in the process he captured the MFC middleweight championship.

“I would have liked to have gotten another fight in and not had so much space in between fights coming off injury and all that, but I think the year went pretty good,” said Mutapcic.

“I feel like every time I take a little bit of time off and I come back, I come back better, so that was definitely the case last year.”

Mutapcic told MMAWeekly.com that his win over Joseph Henly in October was especially rewarding for multiple reasons.

“Joseph had a big name from The Ultimate Fighter – that I tried out for and didn’t make past the first round – so to beat somebody like him that was on the show, it feels pretty good,” said Mutapcic. “And to get that strap around my waist made it so much better.”

Mutapcic’s first fight of 2013 and his first title defense will come against another TUF alum in Sam Alvey in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, live on AXS TV on Friday night.

“He feels he matches up well with me and I feel the same way,” said Mutapcic of Alvey. “He is a wrestler who prefers to stand and strike, and I’ve heard in the past that he’s very confident in his striking, so there’s a good chance blows will get traded.

“I think I’m more of a technical overall striker than him, and even though he’s a wrestler, I’m very confident in my wrestling and very confident on the ground too, if he wants to take it there, which I don’t think he will unless he gets hurt. But then again we’ll see how it goes and how he reacts.”

Being that it is his first title defense, Mutapcic was asked if he felt any additional pressure, to which he responded, “I really don’t think there’s any added pressure.

“(Being a main event) it’s a five-round fight either way you look at it. And it’s another fight against a tough opponent, so if there’s any added pressure it’s not because it’s a title fight.”

For Mutapcic the goal for 2013 is simple, pursue his MMA career more seriously and take things as they come.

“I’m reassessing after every fight to see where I’m at,” he said. “At the same time, I’d love to become a full-time fighter by the end of this year. That’s the main goal. Then again, I’m going to go one fight at a time and see where it gets me.”

Rafael Dos Anjos Video: UFC 196 Withdrawal, Conor McGregor, and What’s Next?

Rafael Dos Anjos gave an update on his injury recovery, hinted about his next opponent, and talked about Conor McGregor and the featherweight belt. read news >>

Daron Cruickshank finally gets to realize dream of soccer kicking someone in the face

If you walk into Daron Cruickshank’s house, you’ll find a list of goals. With the upstart Japanese promotion Rizin MMA, he could get the pleasure of checking one off: to knock someone out with a socc read news >>

Koscheck vs. Daley II co-headlines 'Bellator 158: Kimbo vs. Thompson II' in London

As expected Josh Koscheck and Paul Daley will finally meet again, and they’ll do so in Bellator 158’s co-headliner.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Jon Jones Comments on Daniel Cormier's Injury, More

Jon Jones has never been shy about voicing his opinion on Daniel Cormier in the past. On Monday, the former UFC light heavyweight champion went on the record to question whether it was an injury that read news >>

Georges St-Pierre Discusses Possible UFC Comeback, Reebok Deal Pitfalls

There have been rumbles of Georges St-Pierre returning for months now. Famed boxing coach Freddie Roach discussed running a camp with the former welterweight champ. His MMA coach, Firas Zahabi, has b read news >>

Jon Jones Questions Daniel Cormier Injury (UFC 197 Video)

Jon Jones expressed his doubt about the legitimacy of Daniel Cormier's injury at the UFC 197 Media Day in Las Vegas. read news >>

Jon Jones Injury: Updates on UFC Star's Shin and Return

UFC star Jon Jones is dealing with a bruised shin after defeating Ovince Saint Preux by unanimous decision to capture the interim 205-pound title belt at UFC 197 on Saturday. Continue for updates. Jo read news >>

Ovince Saint Preux Injury: Updates on UFC Star's Arm and Recovery

Ovince Saint Preux had a golden opportunity at UFC 197, but he failed to capitalize and left the Octagon at a price. Continue for updates. Saint Preux Breaks Arm Saturday, April 23 UFC President Dana read news >>

'Pitbull' Freire says Bellator 153 win earned him title shot; will he wait for champ Straus?

Patricio Freire said an injury created a tougher fight than anticipated at Bellator 153. Nevertheless, he picked up the victory and expects a featherweight title shot as a result.Filed under: Bellato read news >>

Jon Jones Injury Update: UFC Star Reportedly May Face 6-Month Medical Suspension

MMA fighter Jon Jones is reportedly facing a possible six-month medical suspension and needs an X-ray on his left foot. According to MMAFighting.com, Jones was one of 10 fighters who received potenti read news >>