Fedor Emelianenko at Strikeforce

Fedor Emelianenko after his loss against Dan Henderson

Fedor Emelianenko may no longer be fighting for Strikeforce, but that doesn’t necessarily mean the former Pride legend isn’t fighting on Showtime any longer.

M-1 Global Director of Operations Evgeni Kogan spoke to MMAWeekly.com on Friday to clarify Emelianenko’s contract situation, and even opened the door to a possible rematch with Dan Henderson down the road.

According to Kogan, Fedor was only under contract to Showtime and from there he fought under the Strikeforce banner, but was never under direct employ of Zuffa.

“Dana White announced yesterday that Fedor is no longer a Zuffa fighter. Truth is, Fedor was never under contract with Zuffa. Fedor’s contract is with Showtime. He remains a Showtime fighter, on a network which has been amazing to Fedor and the team,” Kogan stated.

Emelianenko’s fate with Strikeforce was sealed on Thursday when UFC president Dana White revealed that the promotion was releasing the Russian, and he would no longer be fighting under their umbrella.

The news came down after Emelianenko dropped his third fight in a row when he was TKO’d by Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Dan Henderson in heavyweight non-title bout in Chicago on July 30.

The back and forth fight ended with just moments remaining in the first round, and while Emelianenko and his management team at M-1 Global pay all respect to Henderson for the win, they would be all for a rematch down the road.

“Last Saturday night fans were treated to one of the most exciting and unpredictable rounds of MMA action in recent history between two legends of the sport. Congratulations to Hendo and we are open to a rematch on Showtime,” Kogan said.

Showtime currently airs fights for both Strikeforce and M-1 Global in regards to MMA, so obviously if Emelianenko has time left on his current deal with the cable network, he could still fight for a different promotion, presumably M-1 Global.

“Strikeforce is not the only MMA promotion on Showtime so there are a number of options for Fedor which will be looked at,” said Kogan.

The other factor involved in Fedor’s future is the fighter’s own willingness to return to the cage. He has long flirted with the idea of retirement, but following the fight with Henderson, Emelianenko didn’t commit one way or the other in regards to his future.

The only thing for sure right now is that Emelianenko is no longer a Strikeforce fighter, but certainly still could have a future fight that airs on Showtime.


Damon Martin is the lead staff writer and radio host for MMAWeekly.com.
Follow
@DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon a question or comment.


Follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.


view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.
From Around the Web

Related News

Medieval knight fight set for M-1 Challenge 56 in Moscow

  • 23 days ago
  • 7 views

M-1 Global announced a knight fight between Evgeniy Bedenko and Ivan Vasliev is scheduled to take place on their upcoming M-1 Challenge 56 event in Moscow. While the headlining attraction of M-1 Glob read news >>

Dana White Confirms Cyborg Under Contract with UFC Parent Company

  • 23 days ago
  • 27 views

Dana White: Yes, Cris “Cyborg” Justino is under contract with Zuffa, the parent company of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. read news >>

Brock Lesnar Signs New WWE Contract, Dana White Reacts to Star's UFC Retirement

  • 24 days ago
  • 8 views

Brock Lesnar announced Tuesday on ESPN that he would be re-signing with the WWE after rumors of contract talks with the UFC had been circling for months. UFC president Dana White weighed in on the si read news >>

Report: UFC Doubled Contract Offer in Last Hour, Brock Lesnar Still Declined

  • 24 days ago
  • 15 views

Brock Lesnar has made enough money to live several lifetimes. So it only made sense for him to go with his heart when deciding to forgo a second run in the UFC and sign a new contract with World Wres read news >>

T.J. Dillashaw injured; rematch versus Renan Barao off UFC 186

  • 25 days ago
  • 1 views

Fans will once again have to wait a little longer to see T.J. Dillashaw vs. Renan Barao 2. Dillashaw, the UFC bantamweight champion, has been forced to withdraw from his April 25 title defense agains read news >>

Bellator 135 preview: Ryan Couture, son of a UFC legend, looks to make his own name in MMA

  • 25 days ago
  • 10 views

Former Strikeforce and UFC fighter Ryan Couture is currently working his way up Bellator's lightweight rankings after a successful debut last September. The next challenge ahead is Dakota Cochrane on read news >>

Bellator announces 'long-term contract extension' with Bobby Lashley

  • 28 days ago
  • 2 views

Two-time Bellator MMA veteran and former professional wrestling superstar Bobby Lashley has signed a “long-term contract extension” with the California-based organization.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Court's Reading of Contract Will Settle Bellator vs. Rampage Jackson Standoff

  • 29 days ago
  • 3 views

I have read the entirety of Bellator's request for an injunction (obtained by Bleacher Report via a Freedom of Information Act request late last week) against Quinton "Rampage" Jackson. I have opinio read news >>

Bobby Lashley signs long-term contract extension with Bellator

  • 28 days ago
  • 11 views

Looks like crossover star Bobby Lashley knows what the future holds. And it's more of the same for the pro wrestler-turned-mixed martial artist. On Friday, Bellator announced it had signed the 38-yea read news >>