The crowd may have booed his efforts, but Lyoto Machida nevertheless felt certain of victory before hearing his name called.

The Brazilian picked up a split decision over former Strikeforce king Dan Henderson on Saturday in the UFC 157 co-main event at Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif. Though the bout was largely devoid of action, Machida believed he was fully deserving of the victory.

“I felt that I won the fight, because in my score, I kneed him many times. I kicked him. I took him down,” Machida told Fox Sports after his win. “In the third round, he didn’t take me down. I slipped, and he took advantage of this. I felt I won the three rounds, and I was very surprised by the split decision.”

Henderson never seemed to get started standing, as his offense was stifled by the karateka’s sharp defense. Each time Henderson charged forward in an effort to land one of his patented right hands, Machida quickly retreated to avoid the blows and occasionally countered with straight shots of his own.

“It was my game plan to keep the fight standing up and to avoid the ground position and his right hands,” said Machida. “Look at my face. Nothing. [He kicked me] just a little bit in the legs, but I can put ice on that and it will go away soon. I can make my distance, and I kick hard. I didn’t let him grab me, and I [avoided] a lot of wrestling.”

Machida did find himself on the bottom during one exchange in the final frame, as Henderson used the former champion’s slip to force him to the canvas. Machida’s guard proved difficult to penetrate for the two-time Olympian, however, and the southpaw avoided taking any major damage before scrambling to his feet. With his vertical base regained, Machida opened up slightly more in the bout’s final two minutes in an effort to steal back a round in which he felt he was trailing.

“When I slipped, he took advantage and kept the fight on the ground just to [score] points,” said Machida. “I thought, ‘I have to keep the fight standing up and be more aggressive and try to knock him out.’”

With the victory in his rearview mirror, Machida is eyeing a shot at the UFC light heavyweight championship. Whereas the Brazilian turned down a short-notice title fight with Jon Jones last year, Machida said he is now eager to receive another crack at the gold.

I hope [I am next in line for a title shot],” said Machida. “It depends on the boss, Dana White, but for me, it’s good. I will [ask for the fight].”

Michael Bisping Announces Fight with Dan Henderson in Manchester

Though the UFC has yet to make it official, Michael Bisping took it upon himself to announce his title defense against Dan Henderson. read news >>

Michael Bisping Expects Dan Henderson to 'Cheat' in Reported Rematch at UFC 204

UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping is expecting Dan Henderson to “cheat” in their rumoured rematch. According to MMA Fighting’s Ariel Helwani, Bisping will face the veteran on October 8 in a r read news >>

UFC Fight Night 92 Results: Yair Rodriguez Spins to a Split Decision Over Alex Caceres

Yair Rodriguez mesmerized fans, and Alex Caceres, at UFC Fight Night 92, spinning his way to a split-decision victory in Salt Lake City. read news >>

Chinzo Machida Makes Promotional Debut at Bellator 160

Chinzo Machida, brother of former UFC champion Lyoto Machida, will make his promotional debut at “Bellator 160: Henderson vs. Pitbull.” read news >>

Michael Bisping vs. Dan Henderson II Announced: Latest Details and Reaction

Michael Bisping will put his UFC middleweight title on the line in his home town of Manchester against veteran Dan Henderson on October 8. The fight will headline UFC 204 and was confirmed by the UFC read news >>

UFC 204: Bisping vs. Henderson 2 Press Conference Video Replay

The headliners of UFC 204, Michael Bisping and Dan Henderson, fielded questions from the media on Friday in Las Vegas. read news >>

Dan Henderson to Retire After UFC 204: Latest Comments and Reaction

UFC's Dan Henderson announced Friday that his fight against Michael Bisping at UFC 204 on Oct. 8 will be the final one of his career, via ESPN.com's Arash Markazi. Henderson is 32-14 in his career an read news >>

UFC 202 Bad Blood Video – I’m not Surprised…

Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor pull no punches as they describe the experience of their unforgettable fight at UFC 196. The two rematch in the UFC 202 main event. read news >>

Alistair Overeem Disappointed, Not Surprised, Brock Lesnar Failed Drug Test (UFC 203 Video)

• 9 hours ago

UFC heavyweight title challenger Alistair Overeem is disappointed, but not surprised that Brock Lesnar had trouble with drug testing. read news >>