Lyoto Machida didn't escape the cage unscathed. | File photo: Dave Mandel/Sherdog.com

Lyoto Machida’s title prospects may now hinge upon the health of his left foot.

The Brazilian injured his oft-used appendage in the main event of UFC Fight Night 36, in which “The Dragon” took a unanimous decision from Gegard Mousasi at Arena Jaragua in Jaragua do Sul, Brazil.

“I don’t know exactly what happened, but maybe in the third round I did some kicking, and he defended with his knee,” Machida told Fox Sports after the victory. “I don’t know if I broke my foot. I just tried to keep my focus on the fight, because I knew he was a tough opponent, and I tried my best.”

Machida used that left foot expertly throughout the contest, dictating distance and connecting with kicks both high and low over the course of the 25-minute contest.

“Sometimes [Mousasi] keeps his hands down, and I saw that I could kick him,” said Machida. “I started to kick his head, his body and his leg. I know he’s a good opponent who fought in K-1, but I’m very confident in my kicks.”

The victory marked Machida’s second appearance at 185 pounds after an extended run at light heavyweight, during which he captured and lost the UFC title. The karate black belt was even more impressive in his middleweight debut this past October, when he knocked out former training partner Mark Munoz with a first-round head kick.

“I’ve found my weight. Before, when I fought at 205, there were a lot of big guys,” said Machida. “In this class, I feel like a big guy. Mousasi, for example, is shorter than me. I can fight against everybody, and it’s no problem for me, because I can put my technique and my strength together.”

Machida now stands as one of two apparent top contenders for the middleweight crown, with Ronaldo Souza serving as the other potential challenger for the winner of Chris Weidman’s upcoming title defense against Vitor Belfort. While the condition of Machida’s foot is still unknown, the karateka said he will be ready for whatever the UFC has planned.

“I don’t know who deserves the title shot,” said Machida. “Dana White is the boss, and he can decide everything. I think I deserve the title shot, too. We’ll see.”

Gegard Mousasi Puts Chris Weidman on Blast, Claims Weidman Not Accepting Fight

Gegard Mousasi and Chris Weidman—two of the top middleweights in the UFC or anywhere else—could soon lock horns. That is, if Weidman gets his act in gear and signs on the dotted line (metaphorical us read news >>

Ronda Rousey Makes Quick Work of Early Weigh-in (UFC 207 Weigh-in Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Ronda Rousey blew in like storm and left the same way following a brief appearance at Thursday's UFC 207 early morning weigh-in. read news >>

Dana White Comments on Ronda Rousey, Amanda Nunes After UFC 207

UFC boss Dana White insisted Ronda Rousey has been left “devastated” after her brutal defeat against Amanda Nunes at UFC 207 in Las Vegas. Making her long-awaited return to the Octagon, Rousey was pu read news >>

Robbie Lawler Exits American Top Team | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC welterweight champion Robbie Lawler has reportedly left American Top Team. read news >>

UFC Fight Night: Rodriguez vs Penn Fantasy Rewind

Yair Rodriguez picked up where Conor McGregor left off as the most promising prospect in the featherweight division after he dismantled UFC legend BJ Penn in the main event from Phoenix on Sunday nig read news >>

Trading Shots: If a UFC champ can't defend 2 belts, should she keep trying to win them?

• a day ago

Conor McGregor became the first UFC fighter to hold belts in two divisions at once. Now Amanda Nunes wants to follow in his footsteps. But does the aftermath of McGregor’s achievement demonstrate why read news >>

Walt Harris: 'I'll Fight Anywhere, Anytime' (UFC Phoenix video) | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Walt Harris talks about defeating Chase Sherman at UFC Fight Night 103 in Phoenix. read news >>

Next big ass to kick after UFC Fight Night 103? Cyril Asker first plans to kiss girlfriend

• 22 hours ago

PHOENIX – French heavyweight Cyril Asker provided one of UFC Fight Night 103’s most endearing moments when he happily proclaimed, “I want to kick every big ass” after beating Dmitry Smoliakov. Filed read news >>

UFC middleweight contender, ex-Strikeforce title challenger Tim Kennedy announces retirement

• 21 hours ago

UFC 185-pound contender and former Strikeforce title challenger Tim Kennedy is hanging up his gloves for good.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Yes, UFC Fight Night 103's Joachim Christensen knows boxing needs work, but he got finish

• 20 hours ago

PHOENIX – Light heavyweight Joachim Christensen said he was “surprised” his hands were slow against Bojan Mihajlovic at UFC Fight Night 103. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>