Lyoto-Machida-UFC-129_9775-450x260Former UFC light heavyweight titleholder Lyoto “The Dragon” Machida is the highest ranked 205-pound fighter on the UFC roster behind champion Jon Jones.   He was defeated by Jones at UFC 140 by submission and hasn’t yet been able to work his way back to a title fight.

When a knee injury forced Dan Henderson out of the UFC 151 title fight with Jones, Machida was given the opportunity to step in as Henderson’s replacement, but declined, citing a lack of proper time to prepare.

When he faced Henderson at UFC 157, the match-up was billed as a top contender’s bout, but, although Machida defeated Henderson, Alexander Gustafsson will face Jones at UFC 165 in September, instead.

Machida takes on top-ten ranked Phil Davis at UFC 163 on Saturday and hopes to show he’s ready for a rematch with Jones.

“I was a bit frustrated because it was the second time that I get this opportunity and I wasn’t given the opportunity to go for the title bout, so this Saturday I would like to gratify that I am, in fact, ready to go after the title,” said Machida during the UFC 163 pre-fight press conference in Brazil on Thursday.

Stylistically, it’s a striker vs. wrestler clash and Machida has been successful when facing wrestlers in the past.  He holds wins over Tito Ortiz, Randy Couture, Rashad Evans, Ryan Bader and Dan Henderson, all accomplished grapplers.

“The strategy for this fight is something which I am a fighter which I prefer striking.  I prefer fighting standing up.  Phil Davis is someone who is going to try to take me down, so I just have to make him play my game.  That’s what I’m going to try to do.  I’m going to make him play my game.  That’s my main strategy,” said the former champion.

Machida has, however, prepared for the possibility of being taken down.

“We always work out for all situations.  I’ve also worked out for this situation of having to do three or four rounds on fighting wrestling against the cage.  I’m ready to go down.   I’m ready to stand up.  I’m ready for anything,” he said.

“It’s going to be an MMA – it’s not a wrestling, it’s not a boxing, it’s not a karate fight.  It’s a MMA fight, and that’s what I’m ready for.”

Mike Ricci Hopes to Resuscitate a Bad Year in WSOF 8-Man Tourney

UFC veteran Mike Ricci looks to resuscitate a rough 2015 when he steps into the WSOF eight-man, one-night lightweight tournament on Friday. read news >>

Ronda Rousey provides health update in post-UFC 193 comments, says she'll 'be back'

Ronda Rousey has finally spoke following the shocking loss of her UFC women’s bantamweight title in Saturday’s UFC 193 main event.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

After Ronda Rousey's Weeklong Theater of the Absurd, It's Finally Time to Fight

Is there a fight in here somewhere, or did I hallucinate that? It turns out that, magically, it was not just a dream. Ronda Rousey is, indeed, an MMA fighter, and she will indeed fight. In fact, it's read news >>

Michael McDonald to Finally Return at UFC 195

One-time UFC title challenger Michael McDonald is finally returning to the Octagon. read news >>

Daniel Straus Won the Bellator Belt with a Clipped Wing

Daniel Straus finally got a victory of Patricio "Pitbull" Freire and recaptured the Bellator belt, but it wasn't without a price. read news >>

Bellator 145 Results: Winners, Scorecards, Reaction from Freire vs. Straus 3

Daniel Straus finally got it right. On Friday night in St. Louis, Missouri at Bellator 145, Straus defeated long-time nemesis and reigning featherweight champion Patricio "Pitbull" Freire via unanimo read news >>

Chad Curry Hopes a Big Win at RFA 32 Puts Him in Running for Title Shot

Undefeated lightweight Chad Curry hopes an impressive win at RFA 32 puts him in the mix for a title shot. read news >>

Finally Healthy, Abel Trujillo is Fight Ready

Abel Trujillo can’t pinpoint the exact details surrounding the day when he was given the green light to compete again after suffering a broken arm earlier this year, but suffice to say, he was more t read news >>

Former Bellator Champ Michael Chandler Will Do Whatever it Takes to Get Belt Back

Former Bellator champ Michael Chandler has finally turned things around, and he doesn't plan on stopping before he gets the belt back. read news >>

Pongsiri Mitsatit Hopes Full Metal Dojo Springboards Him to International Success

Undefeated strawweight Pongsiri Mitsatit is hoping victory at Full Metal Dojo can propel him into the international spotlight. read news >>