Lyoto-Machida-UFC-129_9775-450x260Former UFC light heavyweight titleholder Lyoto “The Dragon” Machida is the highest ranked 205-pound fighter on the UFC roster behind champion Jon Jones.   He was defeated by Jones at UFC 140 by submission and hasn’t yet been able to work his way back to a title fight.

When a knee injury forced Dan Henderson out of the UFC 151 title fight with Jones, Machida was given the opportunity to step in as Henderson’s replacement, but declined, citing a lack of proper time to prepare.

When he faced Henderson at UFC 157, the match-up was billed as a top contender’s bout, but, although Machida defeated Henderson, Alexander Gustafsson will face Jones at UFC 165 in September, instead.

Machida takes on top-ten ranked Phil Davis at UFC 163 on Saturday and hopes to show he’s ready for a rematch with Jones.

“I was a bit frustrated because it was the second time that I get this opportunity and I wasn’t given the opportunity to go for the title bout, so this Saturday I would like to gratify that I am, in fact, ready to go after the title,” said Machida during the UFC 163 pre-fight press conference in Brazil on Thursday.

Stylistically, it’s a striker vs. wrestler clash and Machida has been successful when facing wrestlers in the past.  He holds wins over Tito Ortiz, Randy Couture, Rashad Evans, Ryan Bader and Dan Henderson, all accomplished grapplers.

“The strategy for this fight is something which I am a fighter which I prefer striking.  I prefer fighting standing up.  Phil Davis is someone who is going to try to take me down, so I just have to make him play my game.  That’s what I’m going to try to do.  I’m going to make him play my game.  That’s my main strategy,” said the former champion.

Machida has, however, prepared for the possibility of being taken down.

“We always work out for all situations.  I’ve also worked out for this situation of having to do three or four rounds on fighting wrestling against the cage.  I’m ready to go down.   I’m ready to stand up.  I’m ready for anything,” he said.

“It’s going to be an MMA – it’s not a wrestling, it’s not a boxing, it’s not a karate fight.  It’s a MMA fight, and that’s what I’m ready for.”

Overeem ready to finally claim his long-awaited title shot

Alistair Overeem’s journey to the top of the UFC’s heavyweight division hasn’t gone quite as fast as expected. But on Sunday night, he gets his chance to make good on squandered opportunities by secu read news >>

Khabilov earns impressive win in Rotterdam prelims

The big hitters were on display during the UFC Fight Night Rotterdam prelim fights as Rustam Khabilov, Magnus Cedenblad, Josh Emmett and Reza Madadi all claimed victories. read news >>

After 4th Straight Win, It's Now or Never for Alistair Overeem's UFC Title Hopes

In a division where advanced age seems to be a strength, there is no end in sight to Alistair Overeem’s UFC title hopes. For most heavyweights, there will always be more chances until everything comp read news >>

'King' Mo Lawal's Bold Plan: Beat Phil Davis, Win Heavyweight Belt, Superfight

In a sport where the idealism of first often comes before the business of entertainment, it’s sometimes refreshing to hear the cold realism spouted by Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal, a man who is not the c read news >>

Smiles Make Fights: Is Phil Davis' Newfound Joy Enough to Get Him to the Top?

Put aside the talk of wrestling. Yes, Phil Davis thinks his is the best. Forget about Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal's punching power. Spoiler alert: Davis isn’t worried about it. The real key to Friday’s read news >>

Phil Davis Has to Get Past King Mo First, but His Eyes are on the Bellator Belt

Phil Davis has a tough fight in King Mo Lawal ahead of him at Bellator 154 on Saturday night, but he can't help but shift his eyes towards the Bellator belt. read news >>

Dana White Hopes Ronda Rousey Returns This Year, but Sounds Uncertain

UFC president Dana White hopes former women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey returns to the cage this year, but the possibility is up in the air. read news >>

Phil Davis vs. King Mo: Winner and Reaction from Bellator 154

Phil Davis won a controversial unanimous decision over Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal in the main event at Bellator 154 in San Jose, California, on Saturday. The fight was close, and either man could have read news >>

Cyborg vs. Leslie Smith Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 198

Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino finally made her UFC debut, and while it wasn't against the opponent everyone once expected, she delivered a predictable result. Cyborg defeated Leslie Smith via first-roun read news >>

Stipe Miocic Finally Breaks Veteran Stranglehold on UFC Heavyweight Title

Back in January, after a scheduled matchup between Stipe Miocic and Fabricio Werdum was postponed due to a Werdum injury, the Brazilian UFC heavyweight champ threw a little shade in the direction of read news >>