Luke Rockhold: One spinning back-kick will not derail my UFC career

• submit to reddit

luke-rockhold-strikeforceFormer Strikeforce champion Luke Rockhold encountered a violent setback in his UFC debut, but he said he’s still the same threat to the middleweight division.

“I still feel as good as ever,” he recently told MMAjunkie Radio. “It doesn’t change my goals, and it hasn’t shaken my confidence. I know what I’m capable of, and I’m going to go do it.”

Rockhold (10-2 MMA, 0-1 UFC) gets a chance to reset when he takes on Constantinos Philippou (12-3 MMA, 5-2 UFC) in the main event of UFC Fight Night 35, which takes place Jan. 15 at Arena at Gwinnett Center in Duluth, Ga. The main card is expected to air live on FOX Sports 1 or 2 following prelims on MMAjunkie.

“This is just another fight to get back on track,” Rockhold said of his meeting with Philippou.

In May at UFC on FX 8, Rockhold fought for the first time in the octagon and quickly found himself the victim of a flashy spinning back-kick from ex-champ Vitor Belfort. After hitting the canvas, Rockhold was completely knocked out by punches in the first round.

It was his first loss in nine fights and five years after competing under the Strikeforce banner.

Had he beaten Belfort, Rockhold, who’s ranked No. 7 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA middleweight rankings, would have been in line for a shot at the middleweight title. But despite the dip on his roller coaster ride as a professional fighter, he said he won’t be defined by the loss.

“A spinning heel kick is going to derail my whole career? You’ve got to be joking,” he said.

After more than six months on the bench, Rockhold is itching to get back into the cage to fight No. 11 Philippou, whom he anticipates will favor fists over kicks.

“I want to get this one behind me,” he said. “I’ve never been in this good a shape this far out from a fight, so this is going to be a good one for the fans.

“Costa’s going to come to box, and I’m not going to let it slow down. I’m not going to Francis Carmont him or nothing. Trust me.”

When he came in studio for his interview on MMAjunkie Radio, Rockhold bore the marks of his efforts to get quicker. A trip to Las Vegas prompted a visit to the boxing gym of renowned coach Jeff Mayweather, where his longtime training partner, Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal, set up a sparring session with pugilist Andrew Tabiti.

“I got a little marked up – I’m not going to lie,” Rockhold laughed. “The guy is lighting fast, and it was tough. It’s hard to gauge him, and I was dying at the end of it. I was using so much footwork to get away from him.”

Rockhold said he went six hard rounds with the 3-0 pro boxer, who apparently came prepared for the encounter.

“I didn’t really have a corner with me,” he said. “I had (UFC lightweight) Gray (Maynard) as a friend, who wouldn’t even give me water between rounds. [Tabiti's] got, like, three coaches telling him what to do between rounds. I’m like, ‘Where’s my water? I’m dying over here.’

“He’s a handful to deal with. I couldn’t even see his right hand coming. He’s so quick. I rushed in too much. He was so quick in and out, I felt like I had to cover so much ground to come get him. When I would, he would come back, and I would overshoot my [punches].”

After getting his eye-opener, Rockhold said he’d like to return to the boxing gym to work on his jab and overall boxing skills. It could come in handy for Philippou, after all.

“I like to isolate myself in different aspects of MMA,” he said. “It was hard to adjust, but now that I look back on it, when you go with top-level guys like that, it gives you a chance to improve upon what you’re doing and see the whole.”

And for fans that might think he’s an easy mark against top talent, he would say they’ve only seen part of the picture.

For the latest on UFC Fight Night 35, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

• 20 hours ago

Former Strikeforce middleweight champion Luke Rockhold is petitioning to fight Chris Weidman at UFC 181 on December 6. The fact that the perennial contender is already booked for that championship bout is inconsequential, at least according to Rockhold in his recent comments to Bloody Elbow. That licensing is questionable. Is the fact that he cried supposed to make us feel sorry that he's been a lifelong cheater? He's pretty much a pathological liar. He should really consider taking up acting. M more

It was a long time in the making, but ADCC absolute and IBJJF World champion Robert Drysdale's UFC debut went about as well as one could hope. Facing Keith Berish in the opening bout of The Ultimate Fighter 19 Finale card, Drysdale - the hometown Las Vegas, Nevada favorite - took control of the bout right away. The jiu-jitsu black belt level changed for a double leg takedown, which pushed Berish into the fence. The takedown proved successful and right away Drysdale went to work. Passing almost i more

Although Michael Bisping is slated to face Cung Le in his 21st bout with the company at UFC Fight Night 48 in August, it seems obvious that "The Count" has another middleweight star in his cross hairs. On Wednesday's episode of UFC Tonight, and as transcribed by MMA Mania's Jesse Holland, the UFC's eighth-ranked middleweight, said the following regarding the fifth-ranked Luke Rockhold. When Luke Rockhold is done making a douche bag out of himself, hanging out at pool parties with teenagers, if h more

On Monday, UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis and former Strikeforce titleholder Gilbert Melendez began filming the twentieth season of The Ultimate Fighter in Las Vegas, NV. While the show has, in large part, become formulaic and stale, especially after a recent listless nineteenth season, this upcoming iteration at least promises a few fresh caveats, as it will not only introduce a brand new weight class to UFC audiences -- the women's 115-pound division -- but it will also crown a new ch more

Robert Drysdale finally makes his UFC debut on Sunday night, and he decided to open up about his controversial start in the promotion in 2013. Drysdale, a jiu-jitsu world champion and ADCC openweight champion, was set to make his promotional debut at UFC 167, but was removed from a light heavyweight bout with Cody Donovan after failing a Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) mandated out-of-competition drug test. Ironically, Drysdale was never suspended by the commission or punished by the UFC for te more

LAS VEGAS – After a quick loss in his pro octagon debut, “The Ultimate Fighter 7? veteran Luke Zachrich dominated “TUF: Brazil” vet Guilherme Vasconcelos with sharp striking skills. Filed under: News, UFC more

LAS VEGAS – Robert Drysdale had his UFC debut delayed from November to July because he was flagged by the NSAC for an elevated testosterone-to-epitestosterone ratio this past year. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos more

RFA veteran Alan Jouban will make his UFC debut next month against Seth Baczynski in a welterweight bout at UFC Fight Night 47 in Maine. Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC more

Welterweight prospect Alan "Brahma" Jouban will get a tough assignment for his UFC debut on August 16, when he faces off with veteran Seth Baczynski in UFC Fight Night action in Bangor, Maine. more