Duane Ludwig won’t tell Josh Neer what to do, but he thinks Neer should probably try to get him to the ground when they meet Jan. 20 at UFC on FX “Guillard vs. Miller.”

“It’s not like I’m the best guy in the world, but it’d be better for him to take me down,” Ludwig told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “I feel I’m technically superior. I’m faster. I have more power, but anything can happen.”

Ludwig has long been recognized as one of the best strikers in MMA. He was a kickboxer before he was a mixed martial artist and he’s one of the few MMA fighters to also have success in K-1. At the same time, Neer is as tough as they come. Ludwig’s not trying to downplay that fact.

“He’s definitely tough,” Ludwig said. “He’s well rounded. He’s good off his back. He’s got decent wrestling. His striking is pretty good. … I think it would be better for him not to stand up, but I’m not going to tell him that.”

Neer is fully capable of winning fights by submission or ground-and-pound. That doesn’t mean he’ll try to take Ludwig down, though, even if he’s outmatched on the feet.

“All the fights I’ve seen of him, he’s always wanted to fight,” Ludwig said. “He’s always wanted to stand there and scrap. I don’t see why that would change now. It’s going to be fun. It’s going to be a good time for sure. I enjoy these bouts, these styles of matchups.”

Even if Neer does try to ground the fight, Ludwig believes he’ll be ready. He said the move back up to 170 pounds from 155 has helped his takedown defense and his jiu-jitsu game immensely.

“I should have moved up to 170 a while ago,” said Ludwig, adding that he’d been walking around as high as 195 pounds the last couple of years. “Making 155 has always been very tough for me. That’s why I brought out Mike Dolce as my nutritionist. Even with him, he said I should probably move up to 170 because 155 is too hard. Every time I’d go train, my focus would be to burn calories and sweat and lose weight rather than getting better as a mixed martial artist. I think my jiu-jitsu level, my wrestling level should be higher than it is now.”

Now that Ludwig doesn’t have to focus so much on cutting weight, though, he’s seeing steady improvement in his grappling.

“Now when I step on the mat, it’s to get better as an athlete,” he said. “That’s what’s separating me now from the past. I definitely feel that I’m a lot better in all areas. I should have [moved back to 170] before.”

That’s not to say his striking has suffered. In fact, his standup game may actually benefit now that he doesn’t worry so much about being taken down.

“I’ve always been pretty sharp in mixing it up, hitting the body and angles and stuff,” Ludwig said. “But just the wrestling and jiu-jitsu aspect, I’m definitely getting better in those two areas, which is definitely nice. That’s always been a thing in the back of my mind: I used to fight [thinking], ‘Don’t get taken down, don’t get taken down, don’t get taken down.’ But now it’s not even on my mind.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 51:55).

'Humbled' by jail stay, Jon Jones hopes to embody resiliency on way back to belt

Jon Jones won’t blame anyone else for his recent stay in Albuquerque’s Metropolitan Detention Center, but he does believe the ordeal proved a humbling experience. But “Bones” said it’s not going to s read news >>

Henry Cejudo won't 'fight fire with fire' against Demetrious Johnson at UFC 197

Henry Cejudo insists he won’t allow Demetrious Johnson to take him out of his element when they clash for the UFC flyweight title later this month at UFC 197.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jon Jones Comments on Daniel Cormier, Ovince Saint Preux Ahead of UFC 197 Fight

UFC star Jon Jones thinks that if he were to lose to Ovince Saint Preux at UFC 197, it would be the "greatest day" of Daniel Cormier's life. Saint Preux is set to take on Jones for the interim light read news >>

VIDEO: Urijah Faber Thinks Justin Bieber Could Do MMA

Urijah Faber is heading into a fight of his own, but he believes entertainer Justin Bieber could also be a fighter. read news >>

VIDEO: UFC Champ Luke Rockhold Thinks Interim Titles are Bulls**t

UFC middleweight champion Luke Rockhold is not a fan of interim championships. In fact, he doesn't think the Jon Jones fight at UFC 197 should be for an interim title. read news >>

Jon Jones Comments on Daniel Cormier, Ovince Saint Preux Ahead of UFC 197 Fight

With UFC belt around waist, Miesha Tate thinks she could beat Holly Holm faster

UFC women’s bantamweight champion Miesha Tate keeps her title perched in front of her vanity mirror, a little reminder of what she’s accomplished when she wakes up.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Miesha Tate Admits Amanda Nunes is ‘Dangerous,’ ‘Presents a Lot of Problems’

Women's bantamweight champion Miesha Tate thinks people aren't giving her UFC 200 opponent Amanda Nunes enough credit, but she knows that she faces a dangerous fighter. read news >>

If Conor McGregor retires, UFC 200’s Aldo vs. Edgar will be for featherweight belt

UFC President Dana White thinks UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor is going to fight again. But if he doesn’t, the event he left behind is going to get a little bit more interesting.Filed unde read news >>

VIDEO: Jon Jones Thinks Daniel Cormier Makes a Good Champion, Still Doesn’t Like Him

Although the heat between Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier is palpable, Jones insists that he is happy for Cormier to have had a chance to hold the belt. read news >>