Lorenz Larkin still puzzled at judges' decision in UFC on FOX 7 loss to Carmont

• submit to reddit

It wasn’t until Lorenz Larkin got home and watched his fight with Francis Carmont that he became angry, or perhaps was just baffled.

Robbery isn’t the word he used to describe his reaction, but his feelings were nonetheless clear.

“I was like, ‘I won that fight,’” Larkin told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio).

At the announcement of unanimous scores for Carmont (21-7 MMA, 5-0 UFC) inside the octagon at HP Pavilion, where they squared off on the FX-televised preliminary-card of UFC on FOX 7, Larkin (13-1 MMA, 0-1 UFC) said he was shocked that all three judges favored the Frenchman by scores of 29-28.

But despite the backstage proclamations of colleagues, who used the “R” word to describe the decision, and the public’s reaction to the fight from tweets and websites that had scored it for him, he didn’t share the outrage he felt.

Not until he saw the fight with his own eyes did he fully appreciate what had happened.

“To me, he took me down one time, and that was legitimately in his favor,” Larkin said. “But there were six seconds on the clock. He didn’t throw a punch; he just held my feet. I did give that to him. But the other time he took me down, I was offensive on the ground. I swept him, and I don’t know if I got any points for that.”

Carmont spent much of the middleweight fight trying to take down Larkin, whose cat-like balance kept him upright when most others would have fallen. Meanwhile, he countered Carmont’s advance with hard kicks and punches.

Larkin felt the strategy he used was far more effective in scoring points.

“I could understand him pressuring me, but then it goes to the thing of just because somebody’s pressuring the fight doesn’t mean they’re controlling the fight,” Larkin said. “But the way I fight might not appeal to an MMA judge, because I stand in front of the guys, I catch punches, and I don’t know if from the judges’ (opinion), it’s ‘He’s getting hit.’ But I just look at it like, yeah, I’m backing up, but I’m not taking any abuse, and I’m countering.”

Even with his takedown defense, Larkin said it was the most time he’d spent on the ground during any of his fights. He said if he could do it all over again, he would have capitalized more on the positions he found himself in.

“The only regret I have in the fight is when I swept him with a kimura, I wish I would have held on to it,” Larkin said. “I wish I would have just Frank Mir‘d it.”

Larkin, though, chalks the whole experience up to a lession, albeit a painful one. The loss was the first recorded loss of his professional career (a TKO loss to Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal was changed to a no-contest when Lawal tested positive for a steroid metabolite), and now he’ll be forced to rebuild.

Now vacationing in Las Vegas, Larkin will get started on that another day.

For complete coverage of UFC on FOX 7, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Finally finding a home at light heavyweight, Anthony Johnson will seek his eighth straight win against Antonio Rogerio Nogueira in the co-main event of this weekend's (Sat., July 26, 2014) UFC on FOX 12 from San Jose, California. Will he "Rumble" over another foe, or can "Lil Nog" somehow score another upset? Read our fight preview to find out! This Saturday night (July 26, 2014) Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweights Anthony Johnson and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira will square off read news >>

One bout removed from a narrow loss to Johny Hendricks, Robbie Lawler is back in the running for a shot at the welterweight championship. With a 4-1 record since returning to the UFC roster, Lawler will earn a rematch with Hendricks should he defeat Matt Brown on Saturday. Although he is an underdog heading into UFC on Fox 12, Brown has been on a roll and is deserving of this big opportunity. The Immortal has won seven in a row, most recently stopping Erick Silva in May. In addition to the welte read news >>

Robbie Lawler is set to take home the largest potential payday at UFC on Fox 12. read news >>

SAN JOSE – In a battle of tough octagon newcomers, Gilbert Burns and Andreas Stahl slugged it out over three rounds. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Kyle Kingsbury returned to the Octagon at UFC on Fox 12 against Pat Cummins in what was likely a do-or-die situation. Over the course of 15 minutes, Cummins brutalized Kingsbury with his high level of wrestling en route to a unanimous decision victory. read news >>

That was a close one. The main card of tonight's (Sat., July 26, 2014) UFC on Fox 12: "Lawler vs. Brown" network television event at the SAP Center in San Jose, California, kicked off with a lightweight battle pitting perennial contender Josh Thomson against up-and-coming heavy hitter Bobby Green, who took the bout on short notice as an injury replacement for Michael Johnson. The two were feeling each other out early, Green playing the role of the aggressor while Thomson fire off hard counter sh read news >>

SAN JOSE – Still on the mend from a personal tragedy, Bobby Green feinted and stalked his way to a close win over former Strikeforce champion Josh Thomson. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Bobby Green punked Josh Thomson on his home turf at UFC on FOX 12 in San Jose, Calif., on Saturday night, taking a split-decision victory over the former Strikeforce champ. read news >>

In what was the biggest fight of his career, the Inland Empire's Bobby Green proved that he is ready to contend in the UFC's lightweight division. Green won a very close split decision victory over longtime MMA veteran, Josh Thomson. The score cards were 29-28, 28-29, 29-28 in Green's favor. The first fight on the UFC on FOX 12 main card took place primarily on the feet, with Green holding the center of the cage and stalking, while Thomson circled found offense from the middle. The 27-year old G read news >>