Lorenz Larkin did not ask for a soft landing at 185 pounds, and he did not receive one.

Larkin will make his middleweight debut against former EliteXC titleholder and Ultimate Fighting Championship veteran Robbie Lawler at Strikeforce “Rockhold vs. Kennedy” on Saturday at the Rose Garden in Portland, Ore. The decision to leave the 205-pound division brought with it a new set of challenges for the undefeated 25-year-old.

“It was hard at first with the dieting,” Larkin told Sherdog.com, “but now I’m in a groove and doing well with it.”

The benefits of a change in weight class overshadow any negatives, according to Larkin, who trains out of the Empire Training Center and Millennia MMA camps in California.

“There may be a little change in the speed of my opponents but nothing that’s going to be a big difference,” he said. “My opponents will be smaller and I’ll get a little faster and maintain my power, so, for me, it’s a win-win. My opponents were getting bigger and stronger [at light heavyweight]. When I was on the local circuit, the guys weren’t much bigger than me, but as I moved up in class, they were getting bigger and bigger.”

Lawler poses a serious threat, especially on his feet. The 30-year-old has delivered 16 of his 19 professional victories by knockout or technical knockout. His finishes on 2000 Olympic silver medalist Matt Lindland, Dutch striker Melvin Manhoef and former Icon Sport middleweight champion Frank Trigg were particularly vicious and unnerving.

“He’s a hard hitter and very dangerous,” Larkin said. “You definitely can’t let your guard down on him.”

Larkin welcomes the opportunity Strikeforce has placed before him.

“It means everything, because it will be the first big name that I’ll beat,” he said. “I think it will catapult my career. I’m happy with Strikeforce. I want to push myself in this organization and win a title.”

Larkin has not fought since losing to Muhammed Lawal by second-round technical knockout in January. The decision was later ruled a no contest by the Nevada Athletic Commission after “King Mo” tested positive for suspected steroid use, thus restoring Larkin’s unbeaten record. When asked whether or not he learned anything from the experience, Larkin fired a sharp barb across the bow.

“Yes,” he said, “[I learned] how strong you become when you take steroids.”

Having dropped anchor at 185 pounds, Larkin aims to resume what he feels he does best: win fights and entertain the masses.

“I want to go out and put on an exciting performance because it’s what the fans pay to see,” he said. “I mean, they take time out of their day to watch me fight, so I want to go out and deliver a fight that will get the fans going.”

Reader’s Choice 2015 Fight of the Year: Robbie Lawler vs. Rory MacDonald

MMAWeekly.com readers voted the UFC 189 welterweight title fight between champion Robbie Lawler and Rory MacDonald as the 2015 Fight of the Year. read news >>

Nick Diaz rematching UFC welterweight champ Robbie Lawler? It's possible

Nick Diaz will be cleared to fight in August after reaching a settlement that saw his five-year suspension reduced to 18 months, and when he does return, another UFC title shot could be in the offing read news >>

Cyborg Justino Closes Door on Making 135 Pounds, Keeps Door Open for Superfight

Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino, the Invicta featherweight world champion and one of the best fighters in women's MMA, has said she won't be able to cut down to the 135-pound limit for the women's bantamw read news >>

Invicta FC champ 'Cyborg' Justino up to 163.8 pounds for tonight's headliner

A little more than a half day after weighing in at 144.6 pounds for tonight’s Invicta FC 15 event, featherweight champion Cristiane Justino has rehydrated and gained 19.2 pounds.Filed under: News, Vi read news >>

UFC 195 in slow-mo: New look at that Robbie Lawler vs. Carlos Condit classic

It was just a few short weeks ago that UFC welterweight champion Robbie Lawler and Carlos Condit kicked off the year with a barnburner of a title fight. Check out the slow-motion highlights.Filed und read news >>

Conor McGregor at welterweight? Meh, champ Robbie Lawler says

BOSTON – It’s quite hard to get UFC welterweight champ Robbie Lawler riled up for anything other than a fight. Even then, it might take him a few rounds to get fired up.Filed under: Featured, Feature read news >>

Lightweight Tony Martin's key to success starts with staying under 204 pounds

NEWARK, N.J. – With just one win in his previous four UFC appearances, Tony Martin needed something special on Saturday night. He got it, and now Martin knows what it’s going to take moving forward.F read news >>

Manager: Benson Henderson soon to sign; UFC wants Robbie Lawler-Tyron Woodley next

Former UFC lightweight champ Benson Henderson will soon make his next career move, according to his manager.Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC read news >>

How Josh Burkman lost '18 pounds in 24 hours' for lightweight debut

LAS VEGAS – Weight-cutting is currently a hot-button topic in MMA, and Josh Burkman went through a tumultuous one for his UFC Fight Night 82 showdown with K.J. Noons on Saturday.Filed under: Featured read news >>