Lorenz Larkin did not ask for a soft landing at 185 pounds, and he did not receive one.

Larkin will make his middleweight debut against former EliteXC titleholder and Ultimate Fighting Championship veteran Robbie Lawler at Strikeforce “Rockhold vs. Kennedy” on Saturday at the Rose Garden in Portland, Ore. The decision to leave the 205-pound division brought with it a new set of challenges for the undefeated 25-year-old.

“It was hard at first with the dieting,” Larkin told Sherdog.com, “but now I’m in a groove and doing well with it.”

The benefits of a change in weight class overshadow any negatives, according to Larkin, who trains out of the Empire Training Center and Millennia MMA camps in California.

“There may be a little change in the speed of my opponents but nothing that’s going to be a big difference,” he said. “My opponents will be smaller and I’ll get a little faster and maintain my power, so, for me, it’s a win-win. My opponents were getting bigger and stronger [at light heavyweight]. When I was on the local circuit, the guys weren’t much bigger than me, but as I moved up in class, they were getting bigger and bigger.”

Lawler poses a serious threat, especially on his feet. The 30-year-old has delivered 16 of his 19 professional victories by knockout or technical knockout. His finishes on 2000 Olympic silver medalist Matt Lindland, Dutch striker Melvin Manhoef and former Icon Sport middleweight champion Frank Trigg were particularly vicious and unnerving.

“He’s a hard hitter and very dangerous,” Larkin said. “You definitely can’t let your guard down on him.”

Larkin welcomes the opportunity Strikeforce has placed before him.

“It means everything, because it will be the first big name that I’ll beat,” he said. “I think it will catapult my career. I’m happy with Strikeforce. I want to push myself in this organization and win a title.”

Larkin has not fought since losing to Muhammed Lawal by second-round technical knockout in January. The decision was later ruled a no contest by the Nevada Athletic Commission after “King Mo” tested positive for suspected steroid use, thus restoring Larkin’s unbeaten record. When asked whether or not he learned anything from the experience, Larkin fired a sharp barb across the bow.

“Yes,” he said, “[I learned] how strong you become when you take steroids.”

Having dropped anchor at 185 pounds, Larkin aims to resume what he feels he does best: win fights and entertain the masses.

“I want to go out and put on an exciting performance because it’s what the fans pay to see,” he said. “I mean, they take time out of their day to watch me fight, so I want to go out and deliver a fight that will get the fans going.”

Dana White Says Robbie Lawler vs. Donald Cerrone Signed for UFC 205 in New York

Dana White says an exciting bout between Robbie Lawler and Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone has been inked for UFC 205 in New York. read news >>

Robbie Lawler vs. Donald Cerrone Is the Perfect Fight

Be still, my beating heart. At Madison Square Garden on November 12, the UFC's first outing in New York since the legalization of MMA in the state, former welterweight champion and violence god Robbi read news >>

Former Champ Robbie Lawler Reportedly Out of UFC 205 | MMAWeekly.com

The first UFC event at Madison Square Garden may have taken a major hit before the fight card was finalized. Former welterweight champion Robbie Lawler is reportedly out. read news >>

Robbie Lawler Reportedly Won't Fight at UFC 205: Latest Details, Reaction

Robbie Lawler has reportedly pulled out of his scheduled fight against Donald Cerrone at UFC 205, according to TMZ Sports and Brett Okamoto of ESPN. Per the TMZ Sports report, Cerrone "will still fig read news >>

Robbie Lawler Confirmed Out of Donald Cerrone Fight at UFC New York | MMAWeekly.com

MMAWeekly.com has confirmed reports that Robbie Lawler is, in fact, out of his planned UFC 205 bout with Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone. read news >>

Donald Cerrone Died a Little Bit When Robbie Lawler Said He Wouldn't Fight (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone was supposed to fight Robbie Lawler at UFC 205 in New York's Madison Square Garden on Nov. 12, but it wasn't to be. read news >>

Donald Cerrone Draws Kelvin Gastelum for UFC New York | MMAWeekly.com

Just days after Robbie Lawler pulled out of their fight, Donald Cerrone has a new opponent on tap for UFC 205. read news >>

With Robbie Lawler Out, Donald Cerrone Gets New Opponent for UFC 205

The UFC wants its first trip to New York since 1995 to be a special one, so they're turning to one of their most popular fighters. According to ESPN's Brett Okamoto, Donald Cerrone has been added to read news >>

Why Does Nobody Care About Rico Verhoeven? | FIGHTLAND

Photo via GLORY Rico Verhoeven is two hundred and fifty pounds of muscle on a six foot five frame. He has beaten Peter Aerts, Daniel Ghita and Gokhan Saki in the ring, and he's one of the most polish read news >>

Cris Cyborg, at 157 Pounds, Continues Struggle to Make Weight (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

In the second episode of her video blog, Cris Cyborg is shown on the scale at 157 pounds, as she continues her struggle to get down to the 141-pound limit. read news >>