Coming off the biggest win of his career, Lorenz Larkin is in for another challenge April 20 when he makes his UFC debut at UFC on Fox 7 against Francis Carmont.

“Evidently I came in with something since they put me against Carmont,” Larkin told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “To me, he’s one of the top prospects in the UFC. … He’s on a four-fight win streak in the UFC. That says enough in itself.”

Carmont has not lost since 2008. The French middleweight edged Tom Lawlor via split decision last November in his most recent bout, and he also holds UFC wins over Karlos Vemola, Magnus Cedenblad and Chris Camozzi.

Larkin has been building an impressive resume himself, though. Undefeated, his 13 wins include a unanimous decision over Robbie Lawler last July in Strikeforce.

“I always look at it like this: Before I got to Strikeforce, I was a nobody,” Larkin said. “Nobody knew me. I was just that guy that filled in somebody else’s spot. I was expected to lose, and then from there I almost had a title shot in Strikeforce.”

Because Strikeforce shut down, however, Larkin is instead making the move to the UFC. Against Carmont, he’ll have an opportunity to establish himself in the promotion’s 185-pound division.

“To beat anybody that’s on a four-fight winning streak, in your first fight in the UFC, is a big deal in my eyes,” Larkin said.

The 26-year-old attended UFC 157, which featured Ronda Rousey’s submission win over Liz Carmouche, and got a feel for how a UFC event differs from Strikeforce. The transition hasn’t quite hit him yet, but he knows it will soon enough.

“In my personal opinion, I feel like the crowd is more lively at the UFC compared to Strikeforce,” he said. “When a guy got hit, the whole crowd was in an uproar.”

Certainly Larkin will look to give fans something to roar about against Carmont. He plans on standing with his opponent, but he also plans on Carmont eventually trying to take the fight to the ground.

“Every fighter wants to see how it goes standing up,” Larkin said. “Well, no. I have seen a couple of fights where guys come out and shoot, but most of the guys want to test the waters, and once that gets uncomfortable, then they want to go to their second nature. I expect that when it doesn’t go his way standing up that he’s going to try to take me down and do what he’s good at.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:18:34).

John Makdessi Ready for Biggest Opportunity of His Career at UFC 187

Great opportunities in mixed martial arts are few and far between, but John Makdessi realized when the biggest one of his career was there for the taking. When Khabib Nurmagomedov injured his knee an read news >>

Zab Judah: Floyd Mayweather trains like he doesn’t have a dollar to his name

Former boxing champion Zab Judah discusses his sparring sessions with Floyd Mayweather ahead of Pacquiao superfight on Saturday. read news >>

John Dodson: Demetrious Johnson ‘doesn’t do enough for the fans to actually care about him’

Excellence is Demetrious Johnson's trade, and the only flyweight champion the UFC has ever known proved that once again this past Saturday, defending his belt with a brilliant rout over Japanese chal read news >>

UFC's Decision to Strip Jones of Title Could Be the Biggest Moment of His Life

The UFC's decision to strip Jon Jones of its light heavyweight championship, and to suspend him indefinitely, was one of the more difficult and gut-wrenching decisions it's made since Zuffa purchased read news >>

Video: Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao press conference staredown

It's almost fight time, for what will certainly be the biggest fight all year, and maybe the biggest fight of the last decade, which means you can't afford to miss a moment. read news >>

'Disappointed' UFC issues full statement on Jon Jones

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is disappointed. Probably because it lost one of its biggest stars and perhaps the most dominant mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter in the game today, after former read news >>

Twitter Reacts to Jon Jones' Felony Charge

The downward spiral in the career of UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones hit face first into the pavement on Sunday afternoon, and it might take more than a $25,000 fine to get him out of this m read news >>

Jon Jones and the fine line between lessons and patterns

Of all the missteps Jon Jones has taken in his career -- including Sunday’s latest when he allegedly ran a red light in Albuquerque, caused a three-car accident, injured a pregnant woman, and fled th read news >>

UFC 186: Results and Reactions from Saturday's Biggest Fights

UFC 186 wasn't loaded with big names, but it was a crucial event for those who were on the card. Rampage Jackson looked to make a successful return to the Octagon. After a three-fight stint in Bellat read news >>