Matt Hughes at UFC 123

Matt Hughes at UFC 123

It’s difficult to evaluate what went wrong in a fight when you get knocked out in 21 seconds.

It’s even more difficult, mere minutes later, to evaluate a career that has spanned more than 50 fights, and determine where that career is headed.

But that’s exactly where UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes found himself after his fight with B.J. Penn at UFC 123 in Detroit. In an increasingly Internet-centric society that craves up-to-the-second information, Hughes didn’t have immediate answers.

“I don’t know what the plan is now. I had a perfect training camp coming into this. This is one of those fights I would have paid my purse to Dana White to put this fight together,” Hughes told interviewer Joe Rogan in the Octagon after the fight.

Two weeks later, Hughes has the advantage of hindsight looking back on the fight, a rubber match that put the Hawaiian up 2-1 in their trilogy.

“A lot of people have been asking about the fight and how I am doing. Of course, the fight didn’t go like I had planned it,” Hughes wrote in a blog post on Matt-Hughes.com. “He hit me with a hard right hand that I never saw coming. It’s funny how styles make fights and I’m not at all like Frankie Edgar. So it just kind of stinks that B.J. came off two losses (both to Edgar) and then ended up beating me in less than 30 seconds.”

Hindsight doesn’t determine his future, however, and Hughes still hasn’t decided where that future lies, although that sunset in the distance seems to be pulling him ever nearer.

“I don’t know what I’ll do now. I’m definitely going to take the winter off and some of the spring. I had three fights this year, so I’ve just got some other things I want to do; but I will say that this was one big step closer to retirement for me.”

After nearly 13 years, 50-plus fights, and numerous UFC title bouts, it’s safe to say Hughes has earned a few more months to make a decision that affects a major portion of his life.

With sights on motherhood, UFC champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk says retirement not far off

Appreciate Joanna Jedrzejczyk now – because the reigning UFC strawweight champion might not be active in the sport for much longer.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

RFA 46 main card set with addition of five bouts, including Hill vs. Nakashima, Brown vs. Moffett

The main card is set for RFA 46, the promotion’s final event before it merges with Legacy FC to form Legacy Fighting Alliance.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News read news >>

UFC 205 main card down to 5 bouts due to Kelvin Gastelum's latest weight blunder

NEW YORK – So much for the extra-large UFC 205 pay-per-view main card.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Twitter reacts to Raquel Pennington's UFC 205 upset of Miesha Tate, and Tate's retirement

Raquel Pennington earned unquestionably the most significant victory of her career when she defeated former UFC champion Miesha Tate on Saturday’s UFC 205 main card at Madison Square Garden in New Yo read news >>

UFC 205 results: Raquel Pennington dominates Miesha Tate, who announces retirement

NEW YORK – Raquel Pennington dominated her former “Ultimate Fighter” coach, Miesha Tate, to open the UFC 205 pay-per-view on Saturday. Then Tate pulled a stunner.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

NEW YORK – By the time Miesha Tate dragged Raquel Pennington into the type of grappling fight that favored her, she was already down two rounds and struggling. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Miesha Tate Announces Her Retirement at UFC 205 | MMAWeekly.com

Miesha Tate has been fighting for the past decade, but she's had enough. read news >>

Miesha Tate Retires from UFC: Latest Details, Comments, Reaction

MMA fighter Miesha Tate announced her retirement from the UFC on Saturday evening. "It's not my time anymore," she announced, per SportsCenter, after losing a unanimous decision to Raquel Pennington  read news >>

Raquel Pennington Bests Miesha Tate, Sends Her into Retirement (UFC 205 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out Raquel Pennington's victory over Miesha Tate, which put a capper on the former champion's career. read news >>

With Miesha Tate's retirement, women's MMA loses a bridge between eras

After nine years and 25 fights, Miesha Tate called it quits following her unanimous-decision loss at UFC 205. How will we remember her? Hopefully as the gritty, determined fighter she was, and the on read news >>