Matt Hughes at UFC 123

Matt Hughes at UFC 123

It’s difficult to evaluate what went wrong in a fight when you get knocked out in 21 seconds.

It’s even more difficult, mere minutes later, to evaluate a career that has spanned more than 50 fights, and determine where that career is headed.

But that’s exactly where UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes found himself after his fight with B.J. Penn at UFC 123 in Detroit. In an increasingly Internet-centric society that craves up-to-the-second information, Hughes didn’t have immediate answers.

“I don’t know what the plan is now. I had a perfect training camp coming into this. This is one of those fights I would have paid my purse to Dana White to put this fight together,” Hughes told interviewer Joe Rogan in the Octagon after the fight.

Two weeks later, Hughes has the advantage of hindsight looking back on the fight, a rubber match that put the Hawaiian up 2-1 in their trilogy.

“A lot of people have been asking about the fight and how I am doing. Of course, the fight didn’t go like I had planned it,” Hughes wrote in a blog post on Matt-Hughes.com. “He hit me with a hard right hand that I never saw coming. It’s funny how styles make fights and I’m not at all like Frankie Edgar. So it just kind of stinks that B.J. came off two losses (both to Edgar) and then ended up beating me in less than 30 seconds.”

Hindsight doesn’t determine his future, however, and Hughes still hasn’t decided where that future lies, although that sunset in the distance seems to be pulling him ever nearer.

“I don’t know what I’ll do now. I’m definitely going to take the winter off and some of the spring. I had three fights this year, so I’ve just got some other things I want to do; but I will say that this was one big step closer to retirement for me.”

After nearly 13 years, 50-plus fights, and numerous UFC title bouts, it’s safe to say Hughes has earned a few more months to make a decision that affects a major portion of his life.

With Werdum vs. Velasquez scrapped, 2 bouts get promoted on Friday's UFC 207 lineup

A fight-week shuffle has resulted in two bouts getting promoted on Friday’s UFC 207 lineup.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Johny Hendricks and Ray Borg Miss Weight for UFC 207 | MMAWeekly.com

Johny Hendricks and Ray Borg both missed weight for their respective UFC 207 bouts in Las Vegas. read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Mom Comments on Star's Potential Retirement After UFC 207 Loss

Following Ronda Rousey's stunning 48-second loss to Amanda Nunes in Las Vegas at UFC 207 on Friday night, Rousey's mother, AnnMaria De Mars, expressed hope her daughter would consider retirement. As read news >>

Amanda Nunes: 'That's It for Ronda Rousey' (UFC 207 video) | MMAWeekly.com

Amanda Nunes had a hand in ushering Miesha Tate into retirement, did she just do the same for Ronda Rousey? read news >>

Two New Fights Added to Growing UFC 209 Fight Card | MMAWeekly.com

Two new bouts have been added to the UFC 209 pay-per-view fight card taking place on March 4 from the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 103 lineup again finalized with 13 bouts for rare Sunday card in Phoenix

With Friday’s announcement that Jimmie Rivera has a new opponent for his main-card opener, the lineup for UFC Fight Night 103 once again has been finalized.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

John Moraga vs. Sergio Pettis promoted to main card as UFC Fight Night 103 finalized with 12 bouts

With Jimmie Rivera withdrawing from a planned contest with Marlon Vera, the lineup for Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 103 has been shuffled.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Brad Pickett Lands Retirement Bout at UFC London | MMAWeekly.com

Veteran slugger Brad "One Punch" Pickett has landed a retirement fight on his home turf at UFC London. read news >>

British MMA Figurehead Brad Pickett to Have Retirement Fight in London | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Scott Heavey/Zuffa LLC The UFC announced Brad “One Punch” Pickett will get the chance to bid a fond farewell to MMA in his hometown as the promotion returns to London’s O2 Arena on March 18t read news >>

UFC, 'TUF' vet Martin Svensson announces retirement 3 months after calling for Cage Warriors title shot

Only three months after winning in his return to the Cage Warriors promotion and calling for a lightweight title shot, Martin Svensson says he is retiring from MMA. Filed under: Cage Warriors, News read news >>