Matt Hughes at UFC 123

Matt Hughes at UFC 123

It’s difficult to evaluate what went wrong in a fight when you get knocked out in 21 seconds.

It’s even more difficult, mere minutes later, to evaluate a career that has spanned more than 50 fights, and determine where that career is headed.

But that’s exactly where UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes found himself after his fight with B.J. Penn at UFC 123 in Detroit. In an increasingly Internet-centric society that craves up-to-the-second information, Hughes didn’t have immediate answers.

“I don’t know what the plan is now. I had a perfect training camp coming into this. This is one of those fights I would have paid my purse to Dana White to put this fight together,” Hughes told interviewer Joe Rogan in the Octagon after the fight.

Two weeks later, Hughes has the advantage of hindsight looking back on the fight, a rubber match that put the Hawaiian up 2-1 in their trilogy.

“A lot of people have been asking about the fight and how I am doing. Of course, the fight didn’t go like I had planned it,” Hughes wrote in a blog post on Matt-Hughes.com. “He hit me with a hard right hand that I never saw coming. It’s funny how styles make fights and I’m not at all like Frankie Edgar. So it just kind of stinks that B.J. came off two losses (both to Edgar) and then ended up beating me in less than 30 seconds.”

Hindsight doesn’t determine his future, however, and Hughes still hasn’t decided where that future lies, although that sunset in the distance seems to be pulling him ever nearer.

“I don’t know what I’ll do now. I’m definitely going to take the winter off and some of the spring. I had three fights this year, so I’ve just got some other things I want to do; but I will say that this was one big step closer to retirement for me.”

After nearly 13 years, 50-plus fights, and numerous UFC title bouts, it’s safe to say Hughes has earned a few more months to make a decision that affects a major portion of his life.

UFC's Jimy Hettes mulling retirement after latest in long line of injury withdrawals

Jimy Hettes was considered a top featherweight prospect when he made his UFC debut in August 2011. Less than five years and a mere six fights later, however, Hettes said he could be done fighting for read news >>

Another UFC Boston Scratch: Jimy Hettes Injured and Mulling Retirement

MMAWeekly.com sources on Monday confirmed that featherweight Jimy Hettes has had to withdraw from his UFC Fight Night 81 bout with Charles Rosa. read news >>

Four preliminary-card bouts added to Bellator 148 in Fresno, Calif.

Bellator’s card in Fresno, Calif., later this month may have undergone a change at the top recently, but its prelims today continued to grow.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Urijah Faber and Dominick Cruz have exchanged trash-talk by phone for years

Urijah Faber may have lost six consecutive title bouts, but that isn’t stopping him from thinking he’s in position to challenge newly crowned UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz.Filed under: Feat read news >>

Ex-champ B.J. Penn ends retirement, but UFC boss still unsure on details

As expected former two-division champ and 2015 UFC Hall of Fame inductee B.J. Penn has ended his retirement. What’s next, though? That’s still to be determined.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

BJ Penn Officially Ends UFC Retirement: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction

UFC Hall of Famer and former two-division champion BJ Penn officially announced his return to the Octagon on Tuesday. Per an interview on The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani (via MMAFighting's Shaun Al-S read news >>

Brad Imes on retirement: They told me I was going to die or become a vegetable

Former college football player and “The Ultimate Fighter 2” runner-up Brad Imes found some success and plenty of fun in MMA. But following his retirement, he faced some dark days.Filed under: News, U read news >>

Brisbane, London cards get new fights

Fight fans in London and Brisbane will be treated to several interesting matchups shortly, as bouts on both cards have been recently made official. read news >>

WSOF 27: Future Champs Live Prelims Stream, Saturday at 8 pm ET

Watch the World Series of Fighting 27: Future Champs preliminary bouts stream live worldwide on MMAWeekly.com, Saturday, Jan. 23, at 8 p.m. ET / 5 p.m. PT. read news >>

Ross Pearson meets Abel Trujillo at UFC Fight Night 84 in Australia

Just a week after dropping a fight in Boston, Ross Pearson already knows when he’ll be getting back on the horse.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>