02-Liz Carmouche UFC 157 w_7475

Liz Carmouche entered the UFC Octagon for the first time planning to upset Ronda Rousey and leave with her title, but instead teeth marks and bruising is what she was left with following her first-round submission loss.

Carmouche was unlucky not to walk away with the submission herself, as she took Rousey’s back looking for a standing rear-naked choke inside the opening two minutes, but was unable to finish off the move no matter how hard she tried.

“Neck cranks are always hard to pull off. If the person has a lot of heart, they can fight through it then like she did and she was successful,” Carmouche said. “I have teeth marks actually from getting on her mouth, thinking maybe I could just get her to tap by just knocking some teeth out, but it didn’t quite work out.”

Rousey was apologetic towards Carmouche at the post-fight press conference explaining what happened.

“She had a cross face, and I actually dislocated my jaw when I was a kid and so I have a weird injury there,” Rousey explained. “She went across and was pushing my mouth guard out, and her arm went across my teeth. I’m sorry, it wasn’t intentional at all dude.”

Despite losing her UFC debut, Carmouche who is the first openly gay UFC fighter, found some positives to take away from the night and was chuffed to be part of history.

“I take away from it that I gave her a run for her money and I had her there for a second. I’m honored just to be a part of the UFC and it’s monumental part of history, and to be apart of that, words just can’t explain.”

(Follow @AndrewPMMA on Twitter).

B.J. Penn Planning Return to MMA, Calls out Featherweight Nik Lentz for UFC 197

Those rumors of B.J. Penn's return to MMA just became a lot more than rumors. On Wednesday afternoon, Penn posted a message and photo on his Instagram account that pledged a return to the UFC. The fo read news >>

Ronda Rousey Comments on Holly Holm Rematch and Discussions over Next Fight

Ronda Rousey has denied rumours she is planning to retire from MMA and insisted she will fight Holly Holm again in 2016. The former UFC women's bantamweight champion lost her title and her unbeaten r read news >>

Ronda Rousey Comments on Holly Holm Rematch and Discussions over Next Fight

Ronda Rousey has denied rumours she is planning to retire from MMA and insisted she will fight Holly Holm again in 2016. The former UFC women's bantamweight champion lost her title and her unbeaten r read news >>

Ex-UFC champ Jon Jones planning 3 more bouts at 205: Cormier, Johnson, Gustafsson

If former UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones sticks to his plan, he’s likely got three more fights at 205 pounds – and two will be rematches.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, V read news >>

Hot Tweets! Benson Henderson Leaves UFC for Bellator… Fighters React

After news broke that former UFC champ Benson Henderson was bolting to Bellator, Twitter lit up like a Christmas tree. read news >>

Video: Is Benson Henderson first of many to leave UFC? Fellow fighters discuss

LAS VEGAS – You’re going to have a hard time finding a fellow fighter who will fault Benson Henderson’s move from the UFC to Bellator.Filed under: Bellator, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Ray Borg planning to make an impact in flyweight division

After nearly two years on the UFC roster, Ray Borg has made an impression on the MMA world, rising to the 12th spot in the flyweight rankings. But his mindset hasn’t changed much. read news >>