Let’s Make a Deal: UFC Open to Bringing Josh Barnett Back, If They Can Come to Terms


Josh BarnettWhile the vast majority of Strikeforce fighters already know their fates – and that fate includes at least a shot in the UFC for many of them – Josh Barnett is still one elite fighter Strikeforce veteran that has yet to declare a new home.

Barnett decimated Nandor Guelmino at the final Strikeforce event earlier this month, but with the doors of that promotion now shuttered, the former UFC heavyweight champion is still sorting out whether he will be back in the Octagon or not.

“So you’re asking me if I’m going to go over to the UFC like every other schmuck-jabroni reporter has been asking me this whole time,” said Barnett following his win over Guelmino.

“Am I going to go to the UFC? I have no idea where I’m going to end up at this point.”

Barnett has a sordid past with UFC brass, leaving many to wonder if he would be welcomed back or not.

UFC president Dana White, however, has indicated that Barnett’s return was possible. On Tuesday night’s edition of UFC Tonight, he sounded as if Barnett’s return might even be imminent, but the devil is in the details.

“We’re talking to Josh Barnett right now,” said White. “Yes, we’re open to bringing Josh Barnett to the UFC; it’s about making a deal now.”

Barnett has been fighting professionally since 1997. He became the UFC heavyweight champion by defeating Randy Couture. He rose to prominence, however, while fighting on the Japanese circuit, particularly under the Pride FC banner.

He has squared off with many of the top fighters in the world over the years, amassing a 32-6 overall record.

Barnett would be a solid addition to the UFC, immediately stepping into the upper echelon of the heavyweight division in the Octagon, with any number of marquee match-ups waiting to be made.

Now, it just remains to be seen if Barnett and the UFC can come to terms.

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.
From Around the Web

Related News

  • 15 days ago
  • 34 views

Barnett breaks down how he sees the UFC Heavyweight championship unification fight will go, and his thoughts on Jon Jones' positive test for cocaine use. read news >>

  • 18 days ago
  • 3 views

The UFC will make seven trips to Brazil next year, and there’s always room for Brazilian talent in Bellator, ONE FC and a handful of international promotions, so you will likely watch some of them fi read news >>

  • 17 days ago
  • 68 views

Bellator and Strikeforce veteran Louis Taylor stepped up on short notice to take over for Costa Phillipou -- and will now step out on even shorter notice against Uriah Hall -- at the upcoming UFC Fig read news >>

  • 14 days ago
  • 0 views

Barnett believes that Japanese MMA is not done yet, and pro wrestling may be a key in helping it regain popularity read news >>

  • 12 days ago
  • 1 views

If 36-year-old Phil “CM Punk” Brooks can sign with the UFC, with zero mixed martial arts experience; why can’t 40-year-old Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson return? read news >>

  • 9 hours ago
  • 0 views

Four months after negotiations with the UFC came to a grinding halt, Gina Carano is back in the gym. Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 2 views

Brad Tavares and Nate Marquardt will brawl over a position inside the top 15 this Saturday (Jan. 3, 2015) at UFC 182 inside the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. Between these two UFC vete read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 6 views

Consider it a postponement. Burgeoning women's MMA talent Holly Holm was supposed to meet Raquel Pennington in her UFC debut earlier this month. That didn't happen when Holm injured her neck. But tha read news >>

  • 29 days ago
  • 0 views

Don't call it a comeback. At least that's not how Josh Burkman sees his return to the UFC. While it's been more than six years since The People's Warrior has competed inside the Octagon, the 34-year- read news >>