Brock Lesnar has fallen ill yet again. | Photo: Sherdog.com


Brock Lesnar's diverticulitis has flared up once again, and the former UFC heavyweight champion has been forced to withdraw from his UFC 131 contest against Junior dos Santos.

Stepping in to replace Lesnar will be former title contender Shane Carwin.

“Junior [dos Santos] is a serious fight and not the type of fight that you would normally take on a 30-day notice, but I have a dream to chase and I do not have a lot of time to chase it,” said the 36-year-old Carwin on his official website. “This is an opportunity to put myself in contention for the title. I know my coaches will have me ready so I have everything to gain.”

UFC President Dana White announced the news on Thursday during a conference call. Carwin was originally supposed to face Octagon newcomer Jon Olav Einemo at UFC 131, which goes down June 11 from Rogers Arena in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. Einemo's involvement at the event is now up in the air.

“[Lesnar] spent all day at the Mayo clinic yesterday,” said White. “He's got some serious choices to make whether to fight this thing or [have another] surgery.”

Lesnar stated on the call that he has yet to make a decision regarding another surgery. The former champion was first diagnosed with the intestinal disorder in November 2009 after he pulled out of a UFC 106 bout with Carwin. Lesnar went under the knife that same month to repair a perforation in his intestine.

The former WWE superstar made his return to the cage at UFC 116, finally meeting Carwin in the summer of 2010. After weathering an early storm from Carwin, Lesnar locked up a fight-ending arm-triangle in the second frame to retain his title. Most recently, Lesnar was knocked out by current champion Cain Velasquez in the first round of their UFC 121 main event in October.

Since his surgery, Lesnar asserts that he has diligently managed his diet to combat the condition, but the diverticulitis has affected him in spite of his efforts. There is currently no time table on Lesnar's possible return to the cage, but the heavyweight has stated that his condition will not force him to retire from the sport.

This item was updated at 6:05 p.m. ET to add a quote from Shane Carwin.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

UFC 188 Free Fight: Cain Velasquez Destroys Brock Lesnar

  • 8 days ago
  • 29 views

Cain Velasquez took the UFC heavyweight title from Brock Lesnar at UFC 121. Watch the full fight. read news >>

UFC free-fight: Watch Cain Velasquez demolish & dethrone Brock Lesnar at UFC 121

  • 9 days ago
  • 3 views

To promote UFC heavyweight champ Cain Velasquez's return at UFC 188 against interim champ Fabricio Werdum, the UFC has released the full UFC 121 bout between Velasquez and then-champ Brock Lesnar. Re read news >>

Dana White: Brock Lesnar was never close to re-signing with UFC

  • 17 days ago
  • 1 views

This time, it wasn't "right there." The way things were unfolding in the Brock Lesnar sweepstakes, a lot of folks in the mixed martial arts (MMA) world -- as well as the pro wrestling universe -- wer read news >>

Brock Lesnar Never Close to UFC Return Ahead of WWE Renewal, Says Dana White

  • 17 days ago
  • 8 views

UFC President Dana White has confirmed the organisation never came close to re-signing WWE superstar Brock Lesnar. The South Dakota native revealed his decision to carry on professional wrestling dur read news >>

Dana White reveals, the UFC was 'not very close at all' to signing Brock Lesnar again

  • 17 days ago
  • 1 views

For weeks, we believed a Brock Lesnar UFC comeback was closer than ever. But obviously, it never was. Brock Lesnar will most likely never step foot into the Octagon again. Last month, the polarizing read news >>

Dana White: UFC was ‘not very close at all’ to re-signing Brock Lesnar

  • 17 days ago
  • 9 views

Former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar closed the book for good on his mixed martial arts career last month, announcing that an eleventh-hour offer from WWE owner Vince McMahon was enough to co read news >>

Brock Lesnar Gets a ‘Suplex City, B*tch’ Remix You’ll Probably Put on Loop for a While

  • 28 days ago
  • 20 views

This Brock Lesnar-inspired music video named "Suplex City, B*tch" is all kinds of awesome. read news >>

Todd Duffee now doing interviews through an advocate, a la Brock Lesnar

  • 29 days ago
  • 4 views

If Frank Mir wants to fight someone who talks through an advocate, Todd Duffee has him covered. Duffee has been trying hard to incite Mir into a fight on social media over the last few weeks. Mir was read news >>