Jorge Macaco PatinoJust a couple months shy of his 40th birthday, Legacy FC lightweight champion Jorge “Macaco” Patino shows no signs of slowing down.

In what could end up being his busiest year in a long time, Patino kicked off 2013 by successfully defending his title against Derrick Krantz at the March 1 Legacy show in Houston.

“I want to show everybody that I’m in shape and I can beat younger guys and show great technique,” said Patino. “I know he trained hard to beat me and had chances (to do so), but he didn’t get it, and when I had my chance, I got him and made him tap.”

As Patino explained to MMAWeekly.com, awkward positioning almost cost him the fight, but he persevered and showed what a veteran champion does when forced into a corner.

“I have a black belt in Judo and I have very good throws and takedowns, and he defended my takedowns and he put me down, and he got my back, which has never happened in my life before in MMA,” said Patino. “It gave me a chance to show everybody I have good jiu-jitsu and the experience to change the position and get the (guillotine) submission.

“I think I fought very well. He did a good job and I appreciate him, and I did my best, made him tap and am still champion.”

Having just about seen and done everything in a nearly 20-year career, Patino has not lost one ounce of passion for fighting.

“I love fighting, I love training, and I love MMA. I think if I’d stop, I’d die,” he said with a laugh. “I have to have challenges in my life. I’m training hard (for multiple upcoming fights) and this pushes me. This is my life and I think I will never stop.”

With bouts scheduled all over the world in coming months, Patino intends to remain active and cherish every opportunity that comes his way.

“I have a lot of goals for this year,” he said. “I will fight in Pancrase in March then in Australia in April and another bout in Brazil in May, and I will do my best for everybody, and for me I want to get more belts, more titles in my career.

“Maybe I can get back to the UFC, I’m not sure. I will just do my best in my fights and show everybody that Jorge ‘Macaco’ Patino can still do it.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

John Castaneda Ready to ‘Expose’ Angel Luis Cruz at Combate Americas OCHO

Following a couple months off, John Castaneda steps in as a late replacement to take on Angel Luis Cruz a 145-pound main event of Combate Americas OCHO. read news >>

Nick Diaz Freed! Who Could, and Who Should, He Face in His Return?

Ten months ago, one of the most egregious injustices in combat sports history occurred. Nick Diaz, accomplished mixed martial artist, former champion and current UFC contender, was suspended (warning read news >>

Cris Cyborg Returning to UFC in September to Headline Fight Night Event

Cris "Cyborg" Justino is coming back! After a few months of uncertainty, the former Strikeforce featherweight champion, current Invicta FC featherweight champion and longtime arch-rival to Ronda Rous read news >>

Jon Jones Teases Quick Return from USADA Suspension in Instagram Post

Jon Jones has had a rough 12 months, but the former UFC light heavyweight champ feels like things are starting to turn around. That seems to be the case, at least, as Jones indicated he may be back i read news >>

The Complete Guide to UFC 202: McGregor vs. Diaz 2

After five months of drama, Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz meet again at UFC 202 on Saturday. Their first matchup was an epic upset, as Diaz stepped up on just 11 days' notice to face the featherweight read news >>

Grappling Ace Robert Drysdale Glad He Got Dinged While Winning Legacy FC Title

Believe it or not, new Legacy FC champion, grappling ace Robert Drysdale was glad he got tagged a few times en route to winning the belt. read news >>

The Question: Does Conor McGregor Stand a Chance in the Rematch with Nate Diaz?

Five months ago, the UFC's best-laid plans came crashing down. Conor McGregor, the sport's brightest star and featherweight kingpin, stepped into the cage at UFC 196 on March 5 for what was supposed read news >>

Diaz vs. McGregor 2 Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 202

After months of buildup, Conor McGregor has his redemption. The Notorious eked out a majority decision over Nate Diaz in the main event at UFC 202 on Saturday. MMAjunkie tweeted out the scorecards: M read news >>

After Action Review: Did Conor McGregor Actually Beat Nate Diaz at UFC 202?

For 31 months the great Conor McGregor seemed all but invincible. Five top flight opponents entered the cage with him. Before the end of the second stanza all five had fallen to his mighty hands. Thr read news >>