Jorge Macaco PatinoJust a couple months shy of his 40th birthday, Legacy FC lightweight champion Jorge “Macaco” Patino shows no signs of slowing down.

In what could end up being his busiest year in a long time, Patino kicked off 2013 by successfully defending his title against Derrick Krantz at the March 1 Legacy show in Houston.

“I want to show everybody that I’m in shape and I can beat younger guys and show great technique,” said Patino. “I know he trained hard to beat me and had chances (to do so), but he didn’t get it, and when I had my chance, I got him and made him tap.”

As Patino explained to MMAWeekly.com, awkward positioning almost cost him the fight, but he persevered and showed what a veteran champion does when forced into a corner.

“I have a black belt in Judo and I have very good throws and takedowns, and he defended my takedowns and he put me down, and he got my back, which has never happened in my life before in MMA,” said Patino. “It gave me a chance to show everybody I have good jiu-jitsu and the experience to change the position and get the (guillotine) submission.

“I think I fought very well. He did a good job and I appreciate him, and I did my best, made him tap and am still champion.”

Having just about seen and done everything in a nearly 20-year career, Patino has not lost one ounce of passion for fighting.

“I love fighting, I love training, and I love MMA. I think if I’d stop, I’d die,” he said with a laugh. “I have to have challenges in my life. I’m training hard (for multiple upcoming fights) and this pushes me. This is my life and I think I will never stop.”

With bouts scheduled all over the world in coming months, Patino intends to remain active and cherish every opportunity that comes his way.

“I have a lot of goals for this year,” he said. “I will fight in Pancrase in March then in Australia in April and another bout in Brazil in May, and I will do my best for everybody, and for me I want to get more belts, more titles in my career.

“Maybe I can get back to the UFC, I’m not sure. I will just do my best in my fights and show everybody that Jorge ‘Macaco’ Patino can still do it.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

BJ Penn Suspended 6 Months by USADA for Anti-Doping Policy Violation

BJ Penn has received a six-month ban from the United States Anti-Doping Agency after he admitted to using a prohibited "intravenous infusion." In a statement released on Monday, the USADA revealed th read news >>

Quentin Henry Not Ruffled by Legacy FC 57 Shift in Opponent

Middleweight prospect Quentin Henry isn't ruffled by late-replacement opponent for Friday's Legacy FC 57. read news >>

Derrick Krantz Looking to Rebound Against Dave Burrow at Legacy FC 57

Derrick Krantz (17-9) will look to rebound at Legacy FC 57 in Shreveport, Louisiana, against Dave Burrow (14-7) in a welterweight bout on July 1. read news >>

Andy Nguyen To Defend Her KOTC Title After Legacy FC 57 Fight Against Bi Nguyen

Nguyen returns to Legacy FC this Friday in Shreveport, Louisiana, to take on a fighter she’s very familiar with in the debuting Bi Nguyen in a main card bout. read news >>

Tony Kelley Heads Into Legacy FC 57 Title Fight Knowing He’s Facing a ‘Big Test’

Tony Kelley will have his biggest test as a pro to date when he takes on Kevin Aguilar for the vacant Legacy FC 145-pound title in the main event on Friday. read news >>

For Legacy’s Kevin Aguilar, It’s All About the Victory; The Title is Just a Bonus

For Legacy FC's Kevin Aguilar, it's all about the fight and the victory. The fact that he would win a title on Friday night is just an added bonus. read news >>

The 10: The Best of the Best from the Best Month in UFC History

Take a look at the 10 best fights from one of the best fight months in UFC history. This is The 10 for July. read news >>

Legacy FC 57 Results and Highlights: Kevin Aguilar Captures Featherweight Title

Four first-round finishes and a five-round championship war highlight another thrilling night of fights at Legacy FC 57. Check out the results and highlights. read news >>

Cat Zingano vs Julianna Pena Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 200

After 16 months off, No. 3 bantamweight and former title contender Cat Zingano (9-2) faced Julianna Pena, the winner of The Ultimate Fighter: Team Rousey vs. Team Tate at UFC 200. After a promising f read news >>

For Dana White and Fertittas, UFC Sale Leaves Behind Complex Legacy

After months of intense negotiations, the deal has finally closed. As first reported by TMZ, the Ultimate Fighting Championship was sold for $4 billion to talent agency WME-IMG in the single biggest read news >>