Robbie Lawler | Dave Mandel/Sherdog.com

Robbie Lawler expects Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza to stand and trade strikes with him during their Strikeforce middleweight title fight Saturday in San Jose, Calif.

Not by choice. Lawler says the Brazilian jiu-jitsu standout will have to fight on his feet.

“He’ll have no choice but to stand,” Lawler said recently during a “Savage Dog Show” interview on the Sherdog Radio Network. “That’s what I plan on doing. I’m forcing him to stand and seeing how good his standup is.”

Despite Jacare’s submission prowess, he has shown improved striking skills. He’s also coming off three consecutive wins, including an impressive five-round unanimous decision over Tim Kennedy that earned him the middleweight gold.

Meanwhile Lawler has split his last four fights. He will enter the cage as the underdog.

“It’s kind of nice actually. I like being the underdog,” Lawler said. “I like being the guy who people think is going to lose and I want to prove them wrong.”

Lawler’s takedown defense will have to be sharp to beat the odds. To ensure he’ll be able to stay standing against Jacare, he has been training in Arizona with UFC veterans and touted wrestlers Ryan Bader, Aaron Simpson and C.B. Dollaway.

“They’re just big guys, athletic, good wrestlers and guys who are hungry and who are all bigger than me,” Lawler said. “Just drilling with guys who were All-American wrestlers, guys who implement that into their game plan, just working out with those guys has made me get better by leaps and bounds.”

Of course, Jacare could be tempted to test his striking progress against Lawler, though it seems more likely he will want to make use of his advantage on the ground.

“I believe if anyone stands, it’s just a matter of time before I catch them,” Lawler said. “I believe I’m better on standup. He’s a really good athlete. He’s explosive. His takedowns are real explosive and he’s got a judo background. I just have to keep it where I want to and not make any mistakes and take advantage of it being on the feet.”

Even standing, though, Lawler is planning on a tough bout.

“I believe it’s going to be an awesome fight,” he said. “Two guys, one guy not wanting to give up the belt and one guy going in there to take the belt. It’s going to be a battle.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:29:40) with Lawler.

Dana White Says Robbie Lawler vs. Donald Cerrone Signed for UFC 205 in New York

Dana White says an exciting bout between Robbie Lawler and Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone has been inked for UFC 205 in New York. read news >>

Robbie Lawler vs. Donald Cerrone Is the Perfect Fight

Be still, my beating heart. At Madison Square Garden on November 12, the UFC's first outing in New York since the legalization of MMA in the state, former welterweight champion and violence god Robbi read news >>

Former Champ Robbie Lawler Reportedly Out of UFC 205 | MMAWeekly.com

The first UFC event at Madison Square Garden may have taken a major hit before the fight card was finalized. Former welterweight champion Robbie Lawler is reportedly out. read news >>

Robbie Lawler Reportedly Won't Fight at UFC 205: Latest Details, Reaction

Robbie Lawler has reportedly pulled out of his scheduled fight against Donald Cerrone at UFC 205, according to TMZ Sports and Brett Okamoto of ESPN. Per the TMZ Sports report, Cerrone "will still fig read news >>

Robbie Lawler Confirmed Out of Donald Cerrone Fight at UFC New York | MMAWeekly.com

MMAWeekly.com has confirmed reports that Robbie Lawler is, in fact, out of his planned UFC 205 bout with Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone. read news >>

Donald Cerrone Died a Little Bit When Robbie Lawler Said He Wouldn't Fight (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone was supposed to fight Robbie Lawler at UFC 205 in New York's Madison Square Garden on Nov. 12, but it wasn't to be. read news >>

Donald Cerrone Draws Kelvin Gastelum for UFC New York | MMAWeekly.com

Just days after Robbie Lawler pulled out of their fight, Donald Cerrone has a new opponent on tap for UFC 205. read news >>

With Robbie Lawler Out, Donald Cerrone Gets New Opponent for UFC 205

The UFC wants its first trip to New York since 1995 to be a special one, so they're turning to one of their most popular fighters. According to ESPN's Brett Okamoto, Donald Cerrone has been added to read news >>

Tyron Woodley: Why He Doesn't Like 'Wonderboy' Thompson (video) | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley discusses defeating Robbie Lawler for the title and defending the belt against Stephen Thompson at UFC 205. read news >>