Robbie Lawler | Dave Mandel/Sherdog.com

Robbie Lawler expects Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza to stand and trade strikes with him during their Strikeforce middleweight title fight Saturday in San Jose, Calif.

Not by choice. Lawler says the Brazilian jiu-jitsu standout will have to fight on his feet.

“He’ll have no choice but to stand,” Lawler said recently during a “Savage Dog Show” interview on the Sherdog Radio Network. “That’s what I plan on doing. I’m forcing him to stand and seeing how good his standup is.”

Despite Jacare’s submission prowess, he has shown improved striking skills. He’s also coming off three consecutive wins, including an impressive five-round unanimous decision over Tim Kennedy that earned him the middleweight gold.

Meanwhile Lawler has split his last four fights. He will enter the cage as the underdog.

“It’s kind of nice actually. I like being the underdog,” Lawler said. “I like being the guy who people think is going to lose and I want to prove them wrong.”

Lawler’s takedown defense will have to be sharp to beat the odds. To ensure he’ll be able to stay standing against Jacare, he has been training in Arizona with UFC veterans and touted wrestlers Ryan Bader, Aaron Simpson and C.B. Dollaway.

“They’re just big guys, athletic, good wrestlers and guys who are hungry and who are all bigger than me,” Lawler said. “Just drilling with guys who were All-American wrestlers, guys who implement that into their game plan, just working out with those guys has made me get better by leaps and bounds.”

Of course, Jacare could be tempted to test his striking progress against Lawler, though it seems more likely he will want to make use of his advantage on the ground.

“I believe if anyone stands, it’s just a matter of time before I catch them,” Lawler said. “I believe I’m better on standup. He’s a really good athlete. He’s explosive. His takedowns are real explosive and he’s got a judo background. I just have to keep it where I want to and not make any mistakes and take advantage of it being on the feet.”

Even standing, though, Lawler is planning on a tough bout.

“I believe it’s going to be an awesome fight,” he said. “Two guys, one guy not wanting to give up the belt and one guy going in there to take the belt. It’s going to be a battle.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:29:40) with Lawler.

UFC 201 Betting Preview: Lawler Odds-On Favorite to Defend Welterweight Title

Robbie Lawler (20-10) and Tyron Woodley (15-3) are two former Strikeforce fighters who have hit it big in the UFC. On Saturday night at UFC 201 in Atlanta, the reigning champion Lawler will attempt t read news >>

UFC 201 Embedded, Episode 3: The Champ Arrives in Atlanta

On episode 3 of UFC 201 Embedded, welterweight champion Robbie Lawler arrives in Atlanta, while his opponent, Tyron Woodley, continues to put in time in the gym. read news >>

By the Numbers – UFC 201

Go inside the numbers of UFC 201, featuring a main event welterweight title fight between Robbie Lawler and Tyron Woodley and a co-main event with Rose Namajunas and Karolina Kowalkiewicz. read news >>

Lawler vs. Woodley: Career Stats, Odds, Highlights for Both Before UFC 201

When "Ruthless" Robbie Lawler competes, there's a good chance he's winning Fight of the Night. The reigning welterweight champion has taken Fight of the Night honors in four of his last six bouts, wi read news >>

UFC 201: Can Robbie Lawler Escape Upset Curse & Get Past Tyron Woodley?

Tyron Woodley may be the most dangerous kind of opponent for Robbie Lawler right now—under-hyped and overqualified. When the two occasional teammates at American Top Team meet at Saturday’s UFC 201, read news >>

BJ Penn Expects to Return in November, Reponds to Dana White’s Comments

B.J. Penn expects to return to the UFC in November and responds to Dana White's recent comments about him not living up to his full potential. read news >>

5 Rounds: Stephen Thompson on Robbie Lawler vs. Tyron Woodley at UFC 201

Thousands of fans will flock to the Philips Arena in Atlanta Saturday to see Tyron Woodley (15-3 MMA, 5-2 UFC) challenge Robbie Lawler (27-10 MMA, 12-4 UFC) for the UFC welterweight champion. None, h read news >>

UFC 201: Bleacher Report Main Card Staff Predictions

UFC 201 is almost here! Reigning welterweight champion Robbie Lawler (27-10) risks his belt for the third time when he steps into the cage with Tyron Woodley (15-3) at the Philips Arena in Atlanta, G read news >>

UFC 201 Video: Robbie Lawler, ‘I Don’t Feel Like I’m Getting Anywhere Near the Respect I Deserve’

Welterweight champion Robbie Lawler puts his title on the line for the third time at UFC 201 in Atlanta on Saturday against Tyron Woodley. read news >>

UFC 201 Early Weigh-in Results: Lawler vs. Woodley Set; Flyweight Bout Nixed

The UFC 201 welterweight title fight between champion Robbie Lawler and challenger Tyron Woodley is official for Saturday night's event in Atlanta. read news >>