Sometimes after a loss, fighters might take a long time to figure out what went wrong.

Not so for former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal, who lost his title to Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante via a third-round referee stoppage at Strikeforce "Houston" earlier this month.

"I threw out my wrestling," Lawal told the Sherdog Radio Network's "Savage Dog Show" on Monday. "The thing is, if you look at (UFC 118), wrestling dominated. Demian Maia used wrestling to get his takedowns. Gray Maynard used wrestling. Frankie Edgar used his hands and his wrestling when he had to. I didn't use my wrestling enough. I didn't set anything up. I didn't fake any takedowns. I didn't really shoot any hard takedown attempts."

Lawal was leading on the judges' scorecards before Cavalcante floored the collegiate wrestling champion with consecutive knees and a right hand to signal the beginning of the end.

The 29-year-old fighter won the title by out-wrestling favorite Gegard Mousasi to a five-round unanimous decision at Strikeforce “Nashville” on April 17 in Tennessee.

Lawal did slam Cavalcante early in the fight, but "Feijao" got back to his feet shortly thereafter and Lawal stayed away from his trademark wrestling after that. Lawal said Cavalcante's quick recovery wasn't the reason why he didn't utilize his wrestling skills.

"A slam is a slam," said Lawal. "A takedown is different. If you take somebody down, you control their whole body into a position when you land. But I slammed him and was looking to throw punches and he came back up. I was trying to throw punches and he came back up and recovered. If I'd just grinded him out and taken him down over and over like I did with Mousasi, he would've been gassed out dead in the third round."

The first loss of Lawal's eight-fight pro MMA career not only cost him the Strikeforce title, but it will put him on the sidelines for several months, as he will undergo knee surgery to replace both his anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments in his left knee on Wednesday in Los Angeles.

Lawal’s surgery will be performed by Dr. Neal S. Elattrache, of the Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic, the same physician who performed arthroscopic surgery on heavyweight contender Fabricio Werdum Aug. 18 to remove 27 loose bone fragments in the Brazilian’s left elbow.

It's the second ACL surgery for Lawal, who had the same surgery in 2009 after tearing the ligament during the first round of his bout against Ryo Kawamura at Sengoku “Seventh Battle” in March 2009.

Lawal was upbeat about the defeat and the upcoming rehabilitation process, which could take up to nine months.

"I've lost before in wrestling," said Lawal. "I'm going to bounce back. I didn't want to lose, but I deserved to lose because I went out there and abandoned my true game plan. I just went out there and fought a stupid fight. If I hadn't lost, I would've gone back and done the same things over and over again. If I wouldn't have lost now, who knows who I would've lost to later."

UFC Flyweight Champ Demetrious Johnson Sidelined for Several Months | MMAWeekly.com

UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson won't require surgery for a recent knee injury, but he will be out of action for the next several months. read news >>

John Lineker's simple plan for Dillashaw: 'If I don't run after him, at some point he'll need to come forward'

A narrow split decision win over John Dodson taught John Lineker a few lessons for his UFC 207 scrap against T.J. Dillashaw: “I won’t make the same mistakes I made with Dodson, of running after him t read news >>

Dana White Comments on Ronda Rousey, Amanda Nunes After UFC 207

UFC boss Dana White insisted Ronda Rousey has been left “devastated” after her brutal defeat against Amanda Nunes at UFC 207 in Las Vegas. Making her long-awaited return to the Octagon, Rousey was pu read news >>

Amanda Nunes Makes Easy Work of Ronda Rousey (UFC 207 Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

How did Amanda Nunes so easily defeat Ronda Rousey? Miesha Tate, Michael Bisping and Kenny Florian break down the big fight. read news >>

Dana White: Women's featherweight division was 'never the plan, but now we're in'

UFC president Dana White says that, after the recently-created women’s 145-pound division, there are no plans for new weight divisions in the UFC in 2017.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Vide read news >>

The Question: Was Ronda Rousey Ever That Good to Begin With?

In the wake of her second straight lopsided defeat, Ronda Rousey left the Octagon with an uncertain fighting future. With both Hollywood and Madison Avenue beckoning, the prospect of suffering the bu read news >>

Miesha Tate Has Nose Surgery, and It 'Feels Terrible Right Now' | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC women's bantamweight champion Miesha Tate underwent successful nose surgery on Wednesday to 'straighten that very curvy septum.' read news >>

After Helping Ronda Rousey Train, Raquel Pennington Sidelined by Surgery | MMAWeekly.com

Coming off of the biggest victory of her career, it will be a while before we see UFC bantamweight Raquel Pennington back in the Octagon. read news >>

Watch Joe Lauzon Make Quick Work of Diego Sanchez at UFC 200 (Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch Joe Lauzon defeat Diego Sanchez at UFC 200. Lauzon takes on Marcin Held in the co-main event at UFC Fight Night 103 in Phoenix. read news >>

UFC ditches plans for March 3 event in Las Vegas on eve of UFC 209

The UFC’s initial plan for a dual-event weekend in March has changed.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>