Lawal Keeps Psychological Heat on Mousasi


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit

Dave Mandel/Sherdog.com

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The mental chess match between Muhammed Lawal and Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Gegard Mousasi hit another gear on Thursday, a little more than 48 hours before their scheduled showdown.

Mousasi will defend his title against the charismatic Lawal in a featured bout at Strikeforce “Nashville” this Saturday at the Bridgestone Arena. Their personalities clash almost as much as their styles, the champion reserved and soft-spoken, the challenger brash and forthcoming.

In an attempt to liven up the pre-fight press conference, Lawal left his seat, approached the podium and tried to bait Mousasi into imitating him. Seated at the opposite end of the table, the Armenian titleholder refused, leading to an uncomfortable silence between the two. When asked if he could mimic Mousasi, Lawal pointed to YouTube and his “Kermit the Frog impersonation” -- an open dig at his opponent’s throaty voice. Mousasi, though he seemed visibly uncomfortable with the pre-fight bluster, did his best to shrug it off.

“In the beginning, it bothered me, but now I’m OK,” he said. “It’s not my personality. Now, I can laugh about it. It’s not affecting my performance in the cage. It’s better for the sport. People are getting excited about the matchup. It’s the first time I’ve had somebody talk so much [before a fight]. It’s something I had to get used to.”

Still only 24, Mousasi will carry a 15-fight winning streak into his title defense. He has impressed in two appearances for Strikeforce, finishing UFC veterans Renato “Babalu” Sobral and Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou. The former Dream middleweight champion has not competed since he blasted through Gary Goodridge in 94 seconds on New Year’s Eve in Japan.

Lawal, meanwhile, has gone the distance only once in six professional appearances and has finished four opponents inside one round. A one-time All-American wrestler and conference champion at Oklahoma State University, he last competed in December, when he blitzed Mike Whitehead in 3:08 in his Strikeforce debut. It marked the first time in nearly five years that Whitehead had been stopped inside the distance. Mousasi characterized the undefeated Lawal as “cocky” and “arrogant.”

“Whatever, man,” Lawal said. “He’s trying to find something to say. If I was cocky, I wouldn’t be training hard. I wouldn’t be studying him. I wouldn’t know what he does. I wouldn’t be a student of the game. I’m just having fun.”

Mousasi has no love loss for Lawal, one of the sport’s top prospects and one of its best showmen. However, he believes fighters like the Murfreesboro, Tenn., native bring a fresh dimension to the sport.

“Maybe if I knew him personally, I’d like him,” he said. “I have to fight him, so it’s different for me. He seems like a nice guy, but everybody’s different. Every fighter has a certain style. If every fighter was like me, it’d be pretty boring.”

view original article >>

Related News

  • 12 days ago
  • 56 views

The former UFC 176 co-main event has been moved to the UFC Fight Night 50 card on Sept. 5 in Ledyard, Conn., and it’s also gotten a boost to main event status. more

  • 12 days ago
  • 39 views

The UFC's decision to cancel UFC 176 left co-headliner Gegard Mousasi a little frustrated. Mousasi, who was scheduled to fight Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza on Aug. 2 in Los Angeles, took to Facebook to voice his displeasure with the way yesterday's news broke: On Wednesday, Mousasi's manager Nima Safapour explained his client's stance: "Zuffa reached out to us in advance shortly before the media became aware that the event was postponed," he said. "However, due to the time zone differences between Hol more

  • 13 days ago
  • 33 views

With UFC 176 having been scrapped due to an injury to featherweight champion Jose Aldo, the process of distributing the rest of the fight card is underway. And the co-main event fighters from that card are now headed to Connecticut, according to UFC president Dana White. White tweeted out that middleweight contenders Gegard Mousasi and Ronaldo Souza are headed for UFC Fight Night 50 at Foxwoods Resort Casino on September 5. And right now that fight could be slotted one of two ways. "I don't know more

  • 13 days ago
  • 35 views

The UFC 176 co-main event bout between Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza and Gegard Mousasi, like several other bouts on the cancelled fight card, has already found a new home, as of Wednesday morning. more

  • 13 days ago
  • 33 views

The fight between former Strikeforce champions Ronaldo Souza and Gegard Mousasi that originally was set for the co-main event of UFC 176 now will take place at UFC Fight Night 50. Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC more

  • 13 days ago
  • 35 views

Poor guy is always the last to know... Gegard Mousasi had no idea his fight against Ronaldo Souza was no longer taking place in Los Angeles. That is, until he went on social media and discovered the promotion had "postponed" its UFC 176 pay-per-view (PPV) event. That means "The Dreamcatcher," by his own account, trained six weeks "for nothing," and took to his official Facebook page (via James Lynch) to put his employer on blast. Have a look: And the follow up (via Bloody Elbow): The good news i more

  • 13 days ago
  • 31 views

Gegard Mousasi is the No. 7 ranked middleweight in the world. He's 35-4, he's coming off a huge win over Mark Munoz at UFC Fight Night 41 and he earned what appeared to be a No. 1 contender's bout against Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza at UFC 176. When that event got scrapped recently, one would think a distinguished fighter such as Mousasi would receive a phone call about the news. Maybe even a text would do. According to Mousasi, though, none of that happened. He learned his fight was canceled via soc more

  • 13 days ago
  • 28 views

Gegard Mousasi was not pleased to find out about the UFC 176 cancellation through social media. Last night the UFC broke the news that UFC 176 was scrubbed from the calendar after failing to find a main event to replace Jose Aldo/Chad Mendes 2. Gegard Mousasi was scheduled to be the co-main event opposite fellow middleweight contender Ronaldo Souza, but that fight along with the rest of the card will be rescheduled across several different UFC shows. All of this was brand new to Mousasi, who pos more

  • 25 days ago
  • 31 views

The six-match main card of Metamoris 4 has been finalized, and as expected, it features a trio of notable mixed martial arts names, as UFC veterans Chael Sonnen, Josh Barnett, and Vinny Magalhaes are all expected to compete at the submissions-only grappling event. Sonnen takes on accomplished submission artist Andre Galvao in the night's main event, while Barnett tests his catch wrestling against leglock specialist Dean Lister and Magalhaes looks to challenge Keenan Cornelius in a match that was more