Kurt Angle Wants To Fight In The UFC

• submit to reddit

In a recent interview with MMA Diehards, Olympic gold medalist and professional wrestler Kurt Angle repeated his desire to compete in MMA.

“I just did my physical this past year with Dana White,” said Angle. “The problem is I’m not allowed to wrestle and fight. Dana White will not permit that.”

Despite the fact that signing a UFC contract would keep him out of a wrestling ring, Angle says that he only wants to compete for the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

“I’m a UFC die hard,” said Angle. “Strikeforce yeah, I looked that way… but the one I want to fight for is Dana White.”

It seems that Angle has been in the news several times for calling out MMA fighters and for stating his intention of competing in MMA but, if what he says is to be believed, we could see Angle competing in the cage fairly soon.

“I do want to do the UFC, the MMA thing and hopefully God willing it will be in the next year or two,” said Angle.

Angle would not be the first professional wrestler-turned-Mixed Martial Artist. He would join undefeated Strikeforce contender Bobby Lashley and UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar as the highest profile wrestlers to convert to MMA. As to what separates himself from the others, Angles points to his impressive wrestling pedigree.

“I don’t consider myself a pro-wrestler, I consider myself an Olympic gold medalist,” said Angle. “Brock [Lesnar] and Bobby [Lashley] were great wrestlers but they weren’t anywhere near where I was. I’m in the top five of the greatest amateur wrestlers of all time.”

Despite feeling that his status as an amateur wrestler separates himself from the pack, Angle was quick to give props to his fellow pro-wrestlers.

“Brock Lesnar is the real deal, he’s an animal,” said Angle. “Bobby Lashley is up and coming and is going to be great. But I don’t know where I’ll be, light heavyweight or heavyweight. I can make either one like that.”

Whether or not it is any indication of his seriousness, Angle has already begun picking out opponents.

“Some of my fellow Olympians are Randy Couture,” he said. “Unfortunately he didn’t walk away with a medal in the Olympics but he’s still an incredible wrestler. I would love to see how I would fare against him.”

With the rumor circulating that Couture will be welcoming professional boxer James Toney into the eight-sided cage, perhaps the unofficial Octagon-welcomer could take on Angle as well.

With as impressive an amateur wrestling background as Angle possesses, it is not inconceivable to believe that he could be successful at high levels of MMA competition. However strong his wrestling base is though, there are still multiple more facets to MMA to which Angle would have to become more familiar before he could compete at those high levels. Since we have heard this talk from Angle before, there is no telling how serious he is about trying his hand at MMA competition. This is a case where only time will tell and, at age 42, time is not Kurt Angle’s friend.

The kickboxing champ showed up at UFC Dublin yesterday and told Dana White he wants just one fight in the Octagon.
Tyron Spong was last seen snapping his shin in a Glory kickboxing event but apparently he's well enough to show up backstage at yesterday's UFC Fight Night: McGregor vs. Brandao and ask UFC president Dana White for a chance to compete in the Octagon.
"I've got Tyrone Spong back here telling me, ‘Sign me for one fight,' White said at Saturday's post-fight press conference. "I want to more

The last time fans saw Tyrone Spong in action the result was a horrific injury. Now, UFC President Dana White is hinting that the next time we see Spong fight, it could be inside the Octagon.
While speaking at the post-fight press conference for UFC Fight Night: McGregor vs. Brandao, White surprised everyone by saying "The King of the Ring" Spong was in the building.
"I've got Tyrone Spong back here telling me, ‘Sign me for one fight,'" White said.
Spong last competed under the Glory promotion a more

The UFC has signed 2008 Olympic gold medalist and undefeated mixed martial artist Henry Cejudo to a multi-fight deal, promotion officials announced on Friday evening. more

This Wednesday's UFC Fight Night 45 in Atlantic City, New Jersey, is headlined by a lightweight clash between the Garden State's own Jim Miller and Donald Cerrone. This is a matchup with major title implications, therefore making it a pivotal scrap inside the Octagon at 155 pounds. Miller, the most recognizable face from Whippany, New Jersey's AMA Fight Club, enters the bout ranked as the No. 7 lightweight in the world, according to the UFC's official rankings. The 30-year-old was a dark-horse t more

The UFC is a dangerous place.
It's a proving ground for the toughest, most skilled martial artists on Earth. If you're not one of the 500 baddest dudes (or dudettes) on the globe, you probably have no business being there.
A direct result of that is that there are no nights off. While some leagues or sports may boast that, it is very much a reality in the UFC. When you enter the cage, the individual across from you has all the tools required to break your jaw or separate you from your senses.
So more

According to UFC President Dana White, “every fighter in the UFC wants to fight in Ireland.” more

One of the most promising and yet most frustrating Flyweight prospects in MMA has signed with the UFC.
The UFC has signed Flyweight Henry Cejudo, the 2008 Olympic freestyle wrestling gold medalist. The news was announced on UFC.com tonight. The 27-year-old Cejudo is 6-0 as a professional mixed martial artist. Cejudo will make his UFC debut against Scott Jorgensen at UFC 177 on August 30 in Sacramento, California."It feels good to be part of the UFC family finally.
"In wrestling, you're talking a more

The UFC's flyweight division just landed a blue-chip prospect.
Henry Cejudo, the 2008 Olympic wrestling gold medalist for Team USA at 55 kg, has signed with the company, UFC.com reported.
He'll be tested right away, as he meets veteran Scott Jorgensen at UFC 177 in Sacramento on Aug. 30.
The 27-year old Cejudo, who trains in Phoenix, made his pro MMA debut last year. He racked up six wins, with four finishes, in just under 11 months, with the last a decision over Elias Garcia at Legacy FC 27 on more

A fight between Tim Kennedy and Yoel Romero -- two surging middleweights in the UFC -- has been booked for UFC 178, which is set to take place in Las Vegas. The Las Vegas Review first reported the bout.
Kennedy has won four fights in a row going back to his Strikeforce days, and is 3-0 in the UFC. He is coming off an impressive one-sided decision victory over Michael Bisping at the TUF Nations Finale in April. Kennedy currently sits at No. 6 on the media driven UFC rankings.
The Cuban wrestler R more