In a recent interview with MMA Diehards, Olympic gold medalist and professional wrestler Kurt Angle repeated his desire to compete in MMA.

“I just did my physical this past year with Dana White,” said Angle. “The problem is I’m not allowed to wrestle and fight. Dana White will not permit that.”

Despite the fact that signing a UFC contract would keep him out of a wrestling ring, Angle says that he only wants to compete for the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

“I’m a UFC die hard,” said Angle. “Strikeforce yeah, I looked that way… but the one I want to fight for is Dana White.”

It seems that Angle has been in the news several times for calling out MMA fighters and for stating his intention of competing in MMA but, if what he says is to be believed, we could see Angle competing in the cage fairly soon.

“I do want to do the UFC, the MMA thing and hopefully God willing it will be in the next year or two,” said Angle.

Angle would not be the first professional wrestler-turned-Mixed Martial Artist. He would join undefeated Strikeforce contender Bobby Lashley and UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar as the highest profile wrestlers to convert to MMA. As to what separates himself from the others, Angles points to his impressive wrestling pedigree.

“I don’t consider myself a pro-wrestler, I consider myself an Olympic gold medalist,” said Angle. “Brock [Lesnar] and Bobby [Lashley] were great wrestlers but they weren’t anywhere near where I was. I’m in the top five of the greatest amateur wrestlers of all time.”

Despite feeling that his status as an amateur wrestler separates himself from the pack, Angle was quick to give props to his fellow pro-wrestlers.

“Brock Lesnar is the real deal, he’s an animal,” said Angle. “Bobby Lashley is up and coming and is going to be great. But I don’t know where I’ll be, light heavyweight or heavyweight. I can make either one like that.”

Whether or not it is any indication of his seriousness, Angle has already begun picking out opponents.

“Some of my fellow Olympians are Randy Couture,” he said. “Unfortunately he didn’t walk away with a medal in the Olympics but he’s still an incredible wrestler. I would love to see how I would fare against him.”

With the rumor circulating that Couture will be welcoming professional boxer James Toney into the eight-sided cage, perhaps the unofficial Octagon-welcomer could take on Angle as well.

With as impressive an amateur wrestling background as Angle possesses, it is not inconceivable to believe that he could be successful at high levels of MMA competition. However strong his wrestling base is though, there are still multiple more facets to MMA to which Angle would have to become more familiar before he could compete at those high levels. Since we have heard this talk from Angle before, there is no telling how serious he is about trying his hand at MMA competition. This is a case where only time will tell and, at age 42, time is not Kurt Angle’s friend.

Wanderlei Silva Claims UFC Has Fixed Fights, Says He Can Prove It

Wanderlei Silva has been actively crusading against the UFC in recent months, but he broke new ground in a series of posts on Facebook yesterday (h/t to MMAJunkie.com for translating). While the topi read news >>

WSOF hires cutman 'Stitch' Duran to work 'Palhares vs Shields' event after controversial UFC release

In a recent conference call to promote "Palhares vs. Shields," which takes place on Aug. 1, 2015, WSOF President Ray Sefo declared that he'd love to have renowned cutman Jacob "Stitch" Duran in the o read news >>

Duane Ludwig doesn't regret recent comments about Team Alpha Male

CHICAGO -- Duane Ludwig talks about his recent comments regarding Team Alpha Male, what he meant by those comments, what makes Dillashaw special, the rematch against Barao and more. read news >>

Jose Aldo launches wild litigation spree, threatens to sue UFC and Chael Sonnen over recent rib roast

Reigning Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight titleholder Jose Aldo has been asking Chael Sonnen to STFU for several years and to the surprise of no one, "The American Gangster" has ign read news >>

UFC Full Fight Flashback: Ronda Rousey’s Quick Finish of Sara McMann

Former U.S. Olympians met when judo bronze medalist Ronda Rousey defended her UFC title against freestyle wrestling silver medalist Sara McMann. read news >>

New Invicta champion Tonya Evinger found motivation in recent Dana White tweet: 'That pissed me off'

LAS VEGAS -- New Invicta FC bantamweight champion Tonya Evinger talks about beating Irene Aldana, finally becoming a champion, how she turned her career around, finding motivation from a Dana White t read news >>

Tonya Evinger Invicta FC 13 media day scrum

LAS VEGAS -- Tonya Evinger discusses recent comments by Sean Shelby, her motivation, why she would rather fight for Invicta than UFC, and more during Invicta FC 13 media day Tuesday. read news >>

Eddie Alvarez reacts to Gilbert Melendez's drug test failure: 'I understand why guys do stuff'

Eddie Alvarez got wind of Gilbert Melendez's recent drug test failure for exogenous testosterone, but it doesn't sound like the former Bellator champ is taking a very hard line stance on the issue. W read news >>

The UFC Cutting Room Floor: Hatsu Hioki and long goodbyes

Zane Simon goes in depth on the most recent UFC roster cuts, just who the fighters were, and whether or not we might expect them back soon. New to this episode, a look at the UFC signings from the mo read news >>

In Jeff Blatnick, UFC honors one of MMA's forgotten pioneers

This week the UFC will induct the late Jeff Blatnick, a former Olympic gold medalist and UFC commentator, into its hall of fame. But how many current MMA fans really understand the full extent of his read news >>