Kenny Florian UFC 101

Kenny Florian

Kenny Florian is a fighter who simply loves to train.

The former “Ultimate Fighter” competitor spends as much time as he can working in the gym and traveling to different camps to improve as he prepares for a fight. So it’s been all the more devastating that Florian was sidelined last month with a knee injury that not only forced him out of his scheduled fight against Evan Dunham at UFC Fight For The Troops 2 in January, but out of the training room all together.

The injury happened when Florian was working with coach Firas Zahabi and his team at the Tri-Star gym in Montreal while preparing for Dunham.

“I was training in Montreal and it was just an unfortunate accident and the knee bent the wrong way, and my foot was slanted, and it was just kind of an unorthodox thing that my training partner did while I was wrestling and the knee didn’t really like it. I heard a loud pop and dropped to the floor and I immediately knew it was not good,” Florian explained when speaking to MMAWeekly Radio.

After visiting the doctor, Florian was given the diagnosis – a torn MCL and torn meniscus in his knee – which would force him out of the bout with Dunham and sideline him for a yet to be determined amount of time.

Making the call that he was out of the fight was heartbreaking enough for Florian, but now with a brace on his knee and training out of the question, he’s just missing all aspects of the sport. One positive that Florian did take away, however, was the recovery portion of the knee injury, which did not require him to go under the knife.

“I didn’t need surgery luckily; I dodged a bullet. You don’t typically do surgery on the location where I had the meniscus, I don’t need surgery on that, and as well it wasn’t a complete tear, so I lucked out, no surgery,” Florian said.

“Now it’s about resting and doing the rehab.”

The resting part is the most difficult for Florian, who is an admitted gym rat. The Boston area native spends the biggest part of every day in the gym working on his game and getting ready for fights, but for now he is forced to be a bit of a couch potato.

Florian doesn’t like being forced to the sidelines, but when dealing with a knee injury he knows it’s the best place for him right now.

“I’m kind of the type of guy more is better. I always want to do more, and go attack it aggressively, but with something like a knee injury that I’ve never really had before, when you’re talking about ligaments, you really don’t want to do that,” Florian commented.

Right now there is no definitive timeline for his return to the Octagon, but Florian is optimistic to shoot for early summer 2011. Like many athletes, however, if Florian can get his knee back to healthy before that, you can believe he’ll be the first one knocking on the gym door to get some training time on the mats.

“That’s definitely a goal,” Florian confirmed about a possible summer return. “Maybe I can be back before that, but that’s the realistic goal I set for myself and hopefully I can be back in the cage soon.

“I’m really missing the training, and 2011 is a year where I really want to get back in the title picture.”

Al Iaquinta Off UFC Fight Night 71 Card, Looks to Fix Knee Injury

Within hours of learning that Gilbert Melendez had failed his UFC 188 drug test, Al Iaquinta bagged hopes of fighting on July 15 in San Diego. read news >>

Tyrone Spong out, Thiago Silva in vs. Mike Kyle at WSOF 22

An injury has forced a change to a big light heavyweight bout at WSOF 22 on August 1st. World Series of Fighting's 22nd event will take place on the same day as UFC 190, and needs all the starpower p read news >>

UFC 189 preview: With untimely injury to Jose Aldo, UFC forced to double-down on Conor McGregor

When Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White flew to a remote island to meet with "Vadummy" and his prized thoroughbred, Fedor Emelianenko, the leader of the mixed martial arts (MMA read news >>

Stephen Thompson: Patient and Deadly

Stephen Thompson has always been a glass half-full kind of person, but when a rib injury forced him out of a February headlining gig against Brandon Thatch, it did threaten his usual sunny dispositio read news >>

Coach: Conor McGregor did no live wrestling in training camp before UFC 189 due to knee injury

Conor McGregor might have answered the wrestling question, but he certainly wasn't prepared fully for it. The new UFC interim featherweight champion was unable to do any live MMA sparring or wrestlin read news >>

Conor McGregor didn't do 'one single round' of live wrestling prior to UFC 189 because of knee injury

Does this make his win over Chad Mendes that much more impressive? In the lead up to his much-anticipated title fight against Jose Aldo, which was supposed to go down at UFC 189 this past Saturday (J read news >>

Manny Gamburyan overcame a hip injury and a 'slippery' Jorgensen at UFC Fight Night 71

After an elbow injury forced Manny Gamburyan from the UFC on FOX 15 card in April, the bantamweight was not about to pull out of his UFC Fight Night 71 bout with Scott Jorgensen … even if he couldn’t read news >>

Duane Ludwig doesn't regret recent comments about Team Alpha Male

CHICAGO -- Duane Ludwig talks about his recent comments regarding Team Alpha Male, what he meant by those comments, what makes Dillashaw special, the rematch against Barao and more. read news >>

Joe Lauzon says criticism of Jose Aldo's injury 'not warranted'

Joe Lauzon addressed a common complaint from fans after Jose Aldo’s rib injury forced him out of UFC 189. Lauzon says that Aldo was training exactly as he should have been when he sustained his injur read news >>

Jake Shields talks PED issues, Stitch Duran firing, Palhares, Reebok & more

In a recent interview with the Three Amigos Podcast, Jake Shields discussed his desire to exact a little painful revenge on Palhares, his thoughts on the PED rule changes and where they still need wo read news >>