Trevor Prangley at UFC 54Nearly 40 bouts into his career, King of the Cage light heavyweight champion Trevor “South African Hammer” Prangley is facing a first, a personal grudge heading into a fight.

The issue stems from a December match when Tony Lopez illegally kneed Prangley, causing an end to their fight. While Prangley won via technical decision and claimed the KOTC 205-pound title, ill will still persists between the two heading into their rematch on Thursday in Cour D’Alene, Idaho.

“I look forward to a lot of my fights just because opportunity-wise, but this is the first time I’ve had any personal stuff going on,” said Prangley. “It probably won’t affect me as much in the fight, but it’s motivated me in training.

“In all honesty, I didn’t afford him the respect cardio-wise and that stuff, and this time I’m not going to make the same mistake. Basically, last time I fought him I trained for three weeks and that was it. I think I’m going to do my best to finish him this time.”

Prangley told MMAWeekly.com that the differences between the last fight and the rematch don’t end there.

“Obviously there’s things I picked up (in the original fight),” said Prangley. “I know what he’s got and what he doesn’t.

“Skill level-wise he’s not on my level at all. He’s one of those guys who stays in there and you wear yourself out beating him up. I’m not looking to make that same mistake this time.”

Currently Prangley is on a five-fight winning streak. And while he says he may no longer be at his peak, he certainly feels better and is enjoying the fight game more in the twilight of his career.

“I would have thought I’d be retired by now, but I just seem to feel better and better as I go,” he said. “It keeps me motivated, keeps me in the gym, and it’s just something that a lot of fighters understand that it’s hard to give up.

“The pressure is off. I’m just enjoying myself now. I’m not as focused on winning. I just want to go out there, have a good fight, entertain the crowd, and it seems to be working better that way.”

At 40 years old, Prangley knows the end is coming sooner than later, but until his longtime trainers and friends “Crazy” Bob Cook and Javier Mendez feel he can’t do it any more, he’ll keep fighting.

“I made a deal years ago telling them that when it’s time for me to quit and go, to let me know,” Prangley said.

“When my performances drop and start being an embarrassment to myself and wreck all the work I’ve put into my career, they’ll let me know. Until I get the word from them, I’ll keep going.”

UFC boss: Ex-champ Jon Jones will get immediate title shot if he comes back

• a day ago

Now-former UFC light heavyweight champ Jon Jones won’t have to work his way back to a title if and when he returns to the promotion’s octagon. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Daniel Cormier Won’t Let Anthony Johnson ‘Bully’ Him in UFC 187 Title Fight

• a day ago

Light heavyweight title contender Daniel Cormier considers Anthony Johnson a bully inside the cage and is determined not to get bullied in their title fight. read news >>

Cris Cyborg rips Ronda Rousey: ‘It has gotten to the point that I now feel sorry for her’

Ronda Rousey versus Cris Cyborg won’t happen anytime soon, but that doesn’t mean the heat is not there. The undefeated UFC bantamweight champion, who meets Bethe Correia at UFC 190 on Aug. 1 in Rio d read news >>

Lyoto Machida vs. Yoel Romero set as new main event for TUF Brazil: 4 Finale in Miami

The UFC won’t be holding a card in Brazil in June. The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil 4 Finale, officially announced for June 27 in Sao Paulo, was moved to Miami, Fla., and it has a new main event. Former read news >>

Bethe Correia to Ronda Rousey: ‘Learn how to lose and don’t do drugs again’ after UFC 190

Bethe Correia won’t leave any attacks unanswered. Speaking with Sports Illustrated, UFC bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey promised that, unlike her last title defenses, the UFC 190 clash with undefe read news >>

Rousey wont' do TUF with Cyborg but willing to wait two more years for the fight

The UFC's biggest star has a been there, done that attitude about The Ultimate Fighter, but she's willing to wait for a bout with Cris Cyborg. UFC women's bantamweight champ Ronda Rousey was Ariel He read news >>

UFC Fight Night 65 results: Kyle Noke gets split-decision win over Jonavin Webb

ADELAIDE, Australia – Many won’t agree with the way the judges saw Kyle Noke’s UFC Fight Night 65 bout with Jonavin Webb, but in the record books it’ll go down as a split decision win for Noke.Filed read news >>

Donald Cerrone Video: The Anyone, Anytime Man Won’t Say No

Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone is the anyone, anytime, anywhere company man, so there was really no turning down a fight with John Makdessi at UFC 187. read news >>