Trevor Prangley at UFC 54Nearly 40 bouts into his career, King of the Cage light heavyweight champion Trevor “South African Hammer” Prangley is facing a first, a personal grudge heading into a fight.

The issue stems from a December match when Tony Lopez illegally kneed Prangley, causing an end to their fight. While Prangley won via technical decision and claimed the KOTC 205-pound title, ill will still persists between the two heading into their rematch on Thursday in Cour D’Alene, Idaho.

“I look forward to a lot of my fights just because opportunity-wise, but this is the first time I’ve had any personal stuff going on,” said Prangley. “It probably won’t affect me as much in the fight, but it’s motivated me in training.

“In all honesty, I didn’t afford him the respect cardio-wise and that stuff, and this time I’m not going to make the same mistake. Basically, last time I fought him I trained for three weeks and that was it. I think I’m going to do my best to finish him this time.”

Prangley told MMAWeekly.com that the differences between the last fight and the rematch don’t end there.

“Obviously there’s things I picked up (in the original fight),” said Prangley. “I know what he’s got and what he doesn’t.

“Skill level-wise he’s not on my level at all. He’s one of those guys who stays in there and you wear yourself out beating him up. I’m not looking to make that same mistake this time.”

Currently Prangley is on a five-fight winning streak. And while he says he may no longer be at his peak, he certainly feels better and is enjoying the fight game more in the twilight of his career.

“I would have thought I’d be retired by now, but I just seem to feel better and better as I go,” he said. “It keeps me motivated, keeps me in the gym, and it’s just something that a lot of fighters understand that it’s hard to give up.

“The pressure is off. I’m just enjoying myself now. I’m not as focused on winning. I just want to go out there, have a good fight, entertain the crowd, and it seems to be working better that way.”

At 40 years old, Prangley knows the end is coming sooner than later, but until his longtime trainers and friends “Crazy” Bob Cook and Javier Mendez feel he can’t do it any more, he’ll keep fighting.

“I made a deal years ago telling them that when it’s time for me to quit and go, to let me know,” Prangley said.

“When my performances drop and start being an embarrassment to myself and wreck all the work I’ve put into my career, they’ll let me know. Until I get the word from them, I’ll keep going.”

Andre Pederneiras: Several fighters will move up in weight with IV ban by USADA

• a day ago

Fighters won’t be able to use IV for rehydration under the new UFC drug testing policy, and that might cause the transition from several athletes from a different weight class. Under the USADA code, read news >>

Aldo fires back at Conor McGregor: Interim belt 'toy' to show 'drunk friends' in Ireland

Jose Aldo won’t be fighting next week at UFC 189 against Conor McGregor. But in the wake of his withdrawal, he has offered a rebuttal to McGregor’s comments about his injury and decision.Filed under: read news >>

‘Bigfoot’ Silva wants to make Ben Rothwell pay for ‘punching bag’ comments

Ben Rothwell called Antonio Silva a "punching bag", but the Brazilian heavyweight won’t respond him -- for now. Riding a three-fight finishing streak, capped off by a first-round submission over Bren read news >>

UFC Champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk Won’t Require Surgery on Broken Thumb

UFC champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk will not require surgery to repair her broken right thumb despite previous reports that stated she would. read news >>

Noad Lahat: Back for Another Kind of Fight

Noad Lahat won’t say it, but if you had to guess, it’s probably safe to say that the UFC featherweight suppresses a chuckle every time he’s asked about his worries regarding an upcoming fight. read news >>

Roger Gracie set to compete at UFC Fan Expo

Roger Gracie will compete during UFC 189 fight week, but it won’t be in a MMA bout. The ONE Championship light heavyweight, who went 4-2 under the UFC and Strikeforce banners between 2010 and 2013, w read news >>

‘Jacare’ Souza won’t wait for title shot, open to fight with Vitor Belfort

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Luke Rockhold will be the next to challenge UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman, and Ronaldo Souza isn’t happy about it. The Brazilian middleweight, former Strikeforce middlewei read news >>

UFC 188 results: Tecia Torres remains unbeaten, gets past Angela Hill

MEXICO CITY -- It won’t go into the books as her most exciting victory, but it was a win nonetheless.The American Top Team’s Tecia Torres improved to 6-0 on Saturday night with a one-sided victory ov read news >>

Three days after UFC Fight Night 69 booking, Uriah Hall pulled from card

It turns out Uriah Hall won’t be fighting at UFC Fight Night 69 overall.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

Eddie Alvarez says Gilbert Melendez 'wont say s**t' to his face

Things get heated between Eddie Alvarez and Gilbert Melendez. Eddie Alvarez and Gilbert Melendez have long sniped at each other from afar. The two lightweight combatants fought under different MMA ba read news >>