King of the Cage Champion Trevor Prangley Won’t Underestimate Tony Lopez Again

• submit to reddit

Trevor Prangley at UFC 54Nearly 40 bouts into his career, King of the Cage light heavyweight champion Trevor “South African Hammer” Prangley is facing a first, a personal grudge heading into a fight.

The issue stems from a December match when Tony Lopez illegally kneed Prangley, causing an end to their fight. While Prangley won via technical decision and claimed the KOTC 205-pound title, ill will still persists between the two heading into their rematch on Thursday in Cour D’Alene, Idaho.

“I look forward to a lot of my fights just because opportunity-wise, but this is the first time I’ve had any personal stuff going on,” said Prangley. “It probably won’t affect me as much in the fight, but it’s motivated me in training.

“In all honesty, I didn’t afford him the respect cardio-wise and that stuff, and this time I’m not going to make the same mistake. Basically, last time I fought him I trained for three weeks and that was it. I think I’m going to do my best to finish him this time.”

Prangley told MMAWeekly.com that the differences between the last fight and the rematch don’t end there.

“Obviously there’s things I picked up (in the original fight),” said Prangley. “I know what he’s got and what he doesn’t.

“Skill level-wise he’s not on my level at all. He’s one of those guys who stays in there and you wear yourself out beating him up. I’m not looking to make that same mistake this time.”

Currently Prangley is on a five-fight winning streak. And while he says he may no longer be at his peak, he certainly feels better and is enjoying the fight game more in the twilight of his career.

“I would have thought I’d be retired by now, but I just seem to feel better and better as I go,” he said. “It keeps me motivated, keeps me in the gym, and it’s just something that a lot of fighters understand that it’s hard to give up.

“The pressure is off. I’m just enjoying myself now. I’m not as focused on winning. I just want to go out there, have a good fight, entertain the crowd, and it seems to be working better that way.”

At 40 years old, Prangley knows the end is coming sooner than later, but until his longtime trainers and friends “Crazy” Bob Cook and Javier Mendez feel he can’t do it any more, he’ll keep fighting.

“I made a deal years ago telling them that when it’s time for me to quit and go, to let me know,” Prangley said.

“When my performances drop and start being an embarrassment to myself and wreck all the work I’ve put into my career, they’ll let me know. Until I get the word from them, I’ll keep going.”

Former UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz is set to return to the cage after nearly three years on the shelf. read news >>

Olympic gold medalist Henry Cejudo won’t be back in the cage in August. The decorated wrestler, who was set to headline the Legacy FC 34 card in Tunica, Miss., on Aug. 29, against Bellator and Strikeforce veteran Brian Hall, withdrew from the card for undisclosed reasons. Legacy FC owner Mick Maynard confirmed the news to MMAFighting.com, revealing that undefeated Pedro Souza has signed with the promotion and will meet Hall on Aug. 29. Hall (6-2) last competed in a third-round TKO victory over C read news >>

UFC women’s bantamweight title challenger Alexi Davis spoke with members of the media in a pre-fight scrum, where she discussed a variety of topics, including Judo vs Jiu-Jitsu, as well as who she would want to walk her out to the cage. read news >>

From Yahoo Sports: Penn has done just about everything in his career, but at 35 he is taking on a serious challenge in Frankie Edgar. read news >>

On Saturday night, Chris Weidman stepped in the cage looking to defend his middleweight title against the former light heavyweight champion, Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida. After an intense, back-and-forth battle, which won Fight of the Night, Weidman was declared the winner by unanimous decision (49-45, 48-47, 49-46). At the post-fight press conference, Dana White was asked about Weidman's next possible fight, and the name that White gave was another former light heavyweight champion, Vitor "The Ph read news >>

Sara McMann (7-1) will return to the cage for the first time since losing to Ronda Rousey at UFC 170, and she will do so against Lauren Murphy (8-0). McMann, ranked as the No. 4 contender in the UFC, suffered her first loss in the February bout against Rousey. The former Olympic silver medalist was thought to be Rousey's toughest test, but it was a knee to the body that spelled her doom. Murphy, ranked as the No. 8 best bantamweight, will make her promotional debut at Ultimate Fight Night 47. Th read news >>

Glover Teixeira is looking to get back to work inside the cage, but he's taking the necessary time to make sure he'll be firing on all cylinders when that time comes. The Brazilian powerhouse suffered a torn labrum in his loss to Jon Jones at UFC 172 back in May, in what resulted in one of the most lopsided defeats in the 34-year-old's career. The injury occurred in the early goings of the title tilt when the light heavyweight champion used a shoulder crank on the challenger while the two fighte read news >>

At six feet tall, Pat Healy is used to being the big guy in the cage since dropping to lightweight from welterweight four years ago. read news >>

If Victor Henry was brought to Japan to become a “W” on someone else’s record, nobody told the Californian. read news >>