King of the Cage Champion Trevor Prangley Won’t Underestimate Tony Lopez Again

• submit to reddit

Trevor Prangley at UFC 54Nearly 40 bouts into his career, King of the Cage light heavyweight champion Trevor “South African Hammer” Prangley is facing a first, a personal grudge heading into a fight.

The issue stems from a December match when Tony Lopez illegally kneed Prangley, causing an end to their fight. While Prangley won via technical decision and claimed the KOTC 205-pound title, ill will still persists between the two heading into their rematch on Thursday in Cour D’Alene, Idaho.

“I look forward to a lot of my fights just because opportunity-wise, but this is the first time I’ve had any personal stuff going on,” said Prangley. “It probably won’t affect me as much in the fight, but it’s motivated me in training.

“In all honesty, I didn’t afford him the respect cardio-wise and that stuff, and this time I’m not going to make the same mistake. Basically, last time I fought him I trained for three weeks and that was it. I think I’m going to do my best to finish him this time.”

Prangley told MMAWeekly.com that the differences between the last fight and the rematch don’t end there.

“Obviously there’s things I picked up (in the original fight),” said Prangley. “I know what he’s got and what he doesn’t.

“Skill level-wise he’s not on my level at all. He’s one of those guys who stays in there and you wear yourself out beating him up. I’m not looking to make that same mistake this time.”

Currently Prangley is on a five-fight winning streak. And while he says he may no longer be at his peak, he certainly feels better and is enjoying the fight game more in the twilight of his career.

“I would have thought I’d be retired by now, but I just seem to feel better and better as I go,” he said. “It keeps me motivated, keeps me in the gym, and it’s just something that a lot of fighters understand that it’s hard to give up.

“The pressure is off. I’m just enjoying myself now. I’m not as focused on winning. I just want to go out there, have a good fight, entertain the crowd, and it seems to be working better that way.”

At 40 years old, Prangley knows the end is coming sooner than later, but until his longtime trainers and friends “Crazy” Bob Cook and Javier Mendez feel he can’t do it any more, he’ll keep fighting.

“I made a deal years ago telling them that when it’s time for me to quit and go, to let me know,” Prangley said.

“When my performances drop and start being an embarrassment to myself and wreck all the work I’ve put into my career, they’ll let me know. Until I get the word from them, I’ll keep going.”

"A lot of people underestimate me like that, but my performances (over the last couple years) speak for themselves," says King of the Cage welterweight champ Joshua Aveles. more

From Yahoo Sports: Penn has done just about everything in his career, but at 35 he is taking on a serious challenge in Frankie Edgar. more

UFC and Bellator veteran Roger Huerta will be looking to bounce back from the brutal soccer kick knockout, when he returns to the cage after a two-year absence at ONE FC: Reign of Champions. more

One Fighting Championship announced plans on Tuesday to make its promotional debut in Cambodia on Sep. 12. more

Wheaties announced on Tuesday that Pettis is the latest athlete to be named to "Team Wheaties," the exclusive set of athletes associated with the popular breakfast cereal. more

Fighter product endorsements come in all shapes and sizes... More often than not, MMA is a messy sport. Blood, sweat, tears. There are a whole series of bodily fluids that can spill out on the canvas or your opponent during a hard fight. Nobody knows this better than Tyron Woodley, who recently found himself wiping away the vestiges of a bad loss to Rory Macdonald. That's why he's repping his Dude Wipes, which are totally for fighting... totally. time to wipe that DONG up brah. @TWooodley #dudew more

It's 1985. Wham! is the hottest thing in music, and movies like The Breakfast Club and The Goonies are reinventing the "random kids come of age, often while wearing awesome '80s clothes" genre. The jungles of Brazil are home to no-holds-barred combat, but America knows nothing of it aside from what they see outside the bar on a Saturday night. And Scott Coker just founded Strikeforce. It's a kickboxing promotion, a modest West Coast thrill for martial arts fans to be run by Coker, an experienced more

After going to a decision in his last two fights, Lyman Good proved Saturday that he still has plenty of power left in his fists at Cage Fury Fighting Championships 36. more