Sean Strickland - King of the CageSaturday, Dec. 8, was supposed to settle dispute of who was the one and only King of the Cage middleweight champion, but in the end, it left more questions than it might have answered.

Originally scheduled to be a five-round bout between interim champion Josh Bryant and reigning champion Sean Strickland, the bout was reduced to three rounds due to weight issues.

“Josh came in six pounds overweight, and honestly, it didn’t bother me (in the slightest),” said Strickland. “I knew I was going to win, so it was just another fight for me.

“I look at it from a fighter a standpoint: the longer that you’re in the cage, the more chance you could get injured or something bad can happen. It just increases your odds of possibly being out a couple months, so I was fine with it becoming a three-round fight.”

Things were further complicated when it was announced that there was a split-decision, won by Strickland.

“I think I was busier,” said Strickland when asked what he felt gave him the edge in the fight.

“He definitely won the first round, there’s no doubt, but in the second round I started feeling more in a rhythm and getting my punches off – even though I really wasn’t pulling the trigger – and was busier in the second and in the third and I think that’s made my case.”

As far as Strickland is concerned, he is the undisputed champion and is moving on, though he can’t help but feel he could have done better in the fight.

“People don’t know that this was my first real stand-up fight,” he said. “Before the fight, I told my coaches I wasn’t going to take it to the ground, I was going to keep it standing, and honestly, I don’t feel like I performed up to my ability.

“I was actually kind of disappointed with my performance, but it was a learning experience.”

Strickland says that at 10-0 and four years into his career, experience is the biggest thing he wants to work on as he continues to take steps forward.

“I look at the top fighters out there and realistically picture how I would do if I fought them,” he said. “I feel I’d do well, skillfully, in the gym, but under the lights (of a big stage), I don’t think I have the experience yet.

“My next few fights, I want to gain as much experience as I can and stay in there as long as I can. I want to feel it out and become more comfortable inside the cage.”

Strickland is looking to gain that comfort sooner rather than later, as he has big plans for himself in 2013.

“I’m fighting in February, and while it’s not set in stone (who my opponent will be) yet, it should be a pretty good match-up,” he said. “If I win that fight I have some tough guys lined up like past UFC fighters, and seeing how I do against them, it will give me a realistic view of how good I am.

“If I do well, I’d like to move on from there and take it to the next level.”

(Photo courtesy of King of the Cage and Monstro Photos)

Floyd Mayweather Comments on Ronda Rousey's Ring Magazine Cover

Ronda Rousey recently became the first woman to grace the cover of Ring Magazine, but retired boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. used the historic accomplishment as an avenue to comment on the state of boxin read news >>

UFC vet Charlie Brenneman on the emotional 'labor of love' of writing his book

Charlie Brenneman has accomplished many things in his life. He's been a successful collegiate wrestler, won the first season of the sports reality show "Pros vs. Joes," and found success in the UFC's read news >>

After brutal string of opponents, Angela Hill announces UFC release

After fighting a terribly tough stretch of opponents, Angela Hill recently announced the UFC has released her from her contract.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

'ONE Championship 34: Kingdom of Khmer' heads to Cambodia with Tynanes-Yakhyaev

ONE Championship is heading to Cambodia in December for “ONE Championship 34: Kingdom of Khmer,” officials recently announced.Filed under: News read news >>

Glory Kickboxing 25: Milan Fight Card, Schedule and Predictions

Despite Glory Kickboxing recently losing its television deal with Spike TV, the shows must go on. On Friday, Nov. 6, Glory 25 in Milan will take place. The promotion's website lists the lightweight t read news >>

Cosmo Alexandre signs exclusive deal with WSOF

Kickboxing star and Bellator veteran Cosmo Alexandre has signed an exclusive multi-fight deal with WSOF, officials recently announced.Filed under: News, WSOF read news >>

Little Things Mean a Lot in Daniel Straus’ Journey Back to Bellator Belt

Daniel Straus hasn't hide time to revamp his game since he last fought Patricio Pitbull, but he didn't need to. read news >>

Bellator's Goiti Yamauchi thinks 'Pitbull' overlooking him, even ahead of Straus fight

When Bellator featherweight champion Patricio Freire recently told MMAjunkie the promotion needed to track down some new competition worthy of challenging him, one fighter in particular took notice.F read news >>

All-American Logan Storley Has Eyes on RFA Championship, but Not Rushing Things

NCAA All-American wrestler Logan Storley made his MMA debut in August, but already has some lofty goals, including an RFA title run. read news >>

Oscar De La Hoya says he's discussed a Ronda Rousey boxing debut

Boxing magazine “The Ring” recently released their January cover featuring Ronda Rousey and asking if she could conquer boxing as she has done with MMA. Oscar De La Hoya would like to be a part of th read news >>