Donald Sanchez KOTCWith 13 wins in his last 16 fights, King of the Cage bantamweight champion Donald Sanchez has been rebuilding a career that started off with a lack of consistency.

Perhaps the most impressive of his wins came recently when he defeated Matt Comeau via second round TKO to defend his title at KOTC: Regulators.

“I was fighting a guy who had never been finished, who I knew was real scrappy with good boxing and wrestling. So I knew I had to weather the storm in order to take him out,” said Sanchez of Comeau. “I knew I would be able to ground and pound him once I was able to use my size and strength to get him to the ground.

“I had a feeling he’d be relentless with the takedown and hold me down, so that’s where I ended up sweeping him and getting mount and landing some pretty hard elbows and finishing him like that.”

Having primarily relied upon his striking much of his career, Sanchez has begun to develop his ground game more and it’s paid off during his recent run.

“(At my gym) we do a lot of sneaky dirty boxing stuff with a real sticky guard and I feel that works really well for me,” said Sanchez. “I have no worries about being able to get back up or reversing the position or even inflicting some damage from the bottom with the dirty boxing or the submission which is always there.”

Sanchez hopes he’ll be able to continue to face tough opposition, as it gives him something to aspire to, such as the case where he faced two of MMA’s top lighter weight fighters in Hatsu Hioki and Tatsuya Kawajiri.

“Even though I haven’t successfully (risen to their level) yet, I’m going to,” said Sanchez. “It’s going to happen. I’m getting more and more confident and I’m ready for it all like that. It doesn’t scare me (to face that level of competition). It’s a couple notches in my record, but I learn from that, I learn big time.”

When it comes to his goal for 2013, Sanchez told MMAWeekly.com that he feels with the work he’s put in over the last couple of years, now is the time to take that next step in his career.

“I want to make it to the big stage and prove I can fight with all of them,” he said. “I want to be there and I think this is the year to do it.

“I have a ton of fights and it’s been on-the-job training basically because I didn’t have an amateur background. I just kept taking fights, fight after fight, and now I’m there and I’ve been here long enough that I’m ready for it.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Julius Anglickas Building a Solid Career Heading into Next Shamrock FC Fight

Building off of an active amateur career, Julius Anglickas is on track heading into Saturday's Shamrock FC. read news >>

Bryan Caraway%26#x2019;s career blossoming after upsetting Aljamain Sterling (Yahoo Sports)

From Yahoo Sports: Defeating the previously unbeaten No. 4-ranked bantamweight is nothing compared to the struggles Caraway has overcome in his personal life. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 88 Results: Jeremy Stephens Spoils Renan Barao’s Featherweight Debut

Jeremy Stephens scored the biggest win of his career on Sunday night, spoiling former bantamweight champion Rena Barao's arrival at 145 pounds. read news >>

Underdog Bisping finally has title shot; plans to flip the script

Michael Bisping wasn't supposed to be the opponent for Luke Rockhold at UFC 199 on June 4 on Pay-Per-View. But "The Count" is used to going off script. Bisping plans to make history and flip that scr read news >>

Do Michael Bisping and Urijah Faber Finally Get UFC Belts? (EA Sports UFC 199 Simulation Video)

How will UFC 199 play out? Will heavy underdogs Michael Bisping and Urijah Faber finally win UFC gold? read news >>

Brock Lesnar: Latest News, Rumors and Speculation on Fighter's Potential Return

After he reignited his professional wrestling career, it looked as though Brock Lesnar's days in UFC were over, but the 38-year-old may be nearing a return to the Octagon. Continue for updates. Lesna read news >>

Rockhold vs. Bisping 2 Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 199

For the first time in his career, Michael Bisping is a UFC champion. Thanks to a left hook followed with some more shots against the cage, Bisping knocked out Luke Rockhold in the first round to beco read news >>

RFA Bantamweight Champion Leandro Higo to Carry Olympic Torch in Brazil

RFA bantamweight champion Leandro Higo is set to accomplish another career highlight just 45 days after capturing RFA gold. Higo will carry the Olympic Torch. read news >>

RFA 38 Results and Highlights: Thiago Moises Retains Title with Late Finish

Thiago Moises finally stopped Jamall Emmers in the fifth round with a TKO to cap off a finish-filled night of fights at RFA 38 on Friday in Costa Mesa, Calif. read news >>