Donald Sanchez KOTCWith 13 wins in his last 16 fights, King of the Cage bantamweight champion Donald Sanchez has been rebuilding a career that started off with a lack of consistency.

Perhaps the most impressive of his wins came recently when he defeated Matt Comeau via second round TKO to defend his title at KOTC: Regulators.

“I was fighting a guy who had never been finished, who I knew was real scrappy with good boxing and wrestling. So I knew I had to weather the storm in order to take him out,” said Sanchez of Comeau. “I knew I would be able to ground and pound him once I was able to use my size and strength to get him to the ground.

“I had a feeling he’d be relentless with the takedown and hold me down, so that’s where I ended up sweeping him and getting mount and landing some pretty hard elbows and finishing him like that.”

Having primarily relied upon his striking much of his career, Sanchez has begun to develop his ground game more and it’s paid off during his recent run.

“(At my gym) we do a lot of sneaky dirty boxing stuff with a real sticky guard and I feel that works really well for me,” said Sanchez. “I have no worries about being able to get back up or reversing the position or even inflicting some damage from the bottom with the dirty boxing or the submission which is always there.”

Sanchez hopes he’ll be able to continue to face tough opposition, as it gives him something to aspire to, such as the case where he faced two of MMA’s top lighter weight fighters in Hatsu Hioki and Tatsuya Kawajiri.

“Even though I haven’t successfully (risen to their level) yet, I’m going to,” said Sanchez. “It’s going to happen. I’m getting more and more confident and I’m ready for it all like that. It doesn’t scare me (to face that level of competition). It’s a couple notches in my record, but I learn from that, I learn big time.”

When it comes to his goal for 2013, Sanchez told that he feels with the work he’s put in over the last couple of years, now is the time to take that next step in his career.

“I want to make it to the big stage and prove I can fight with all of them,” he said. “I want to be there and I think this is the year to do it.

“I have a ton of fights and it’s been on-the-job training basically because I didn’t have an amateur background. I just kept taking fights, fight after fight, and now I’m there and I’ve been here long enough that I’m ready for it.”

Be sure to Like on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Miesha Tate says she's stuck in 'limbo,' says White's 'career killer' comment 'offensive'

Miesha Tate continues to voice her displeasure of the UFC’s decision to grant Holly Holm a title shot against UFC champ Ronda Rousey after she was promised the next crack at the gold. Filed under: Fe read news >>

Can Linton Vassell’s Turnaround Turn into Bellator Gold?

Finally getting his training dialed in, could Linton Vassell be headed towards the Bellator light heavyweight championship? read news >>

The 10 Greatest Moments of Nick Diaz's MMA Career

If you fixate on one particular corner of the MMA fan sphere, it can seem like the sky is always falling. Some terrible injustice or indignity is constantly gripping and stifling the sport, harming a read news >>

TUF Latin America 2 - Episode 4 Preview

Team Escudero was finally able to get in the win column a week ago, as Horacio Gutierrez set aside an ankle injury that was hampering him in practice to take out Team Gastelum fighter Danny Salas by read news >>

Teddy Holder Turned the Fight of His Career into Opportunity of a Lifetime

WSOF light heavyweight Teddy Holder stepped up last-minute for the biggest victory of his career, and has turned it into a shot at a title. read news >>

BJJ world champ Buchecha ready to make MMA debut

Marcus Almeida is eager to begin his MMA career once he heals from a knee injury. Ten-time Brazilian jiu-jitsu world champion, Marcus Almeida, better known as "Buchecha" is getting more and more inte read news >>

Out of the Shadow: Keri Anne Taylor-Melendez Ready to Blast into Bellator

Her career isn't yet at the level of her husband, Gilbert's, but Keri Anne Taylor-Melendez hopes to change that starting with Bellator debut at Dynamite. read news >>

Dominick Cruz: TJ Dillashaw and Duane Ludwig are 'idiots' for predicting knockout victory

Dominick Cruz will finally get his chance to reclaim the title he was stripped of last year, when he faces current Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) bantamweight champion TJ Dillashaw in the main read news >>

Medication, Fights and Suicide: Nick Diaz opens up after potential career ending ban

Medication, street fights, and losing loved ones. Nick Diaz opened up for the first time about his childhood following a suspension that could potentially end his MMA career. Nick Diaz was dealt a sh read news >>

Nick Diaz opens old wounds on a dark day in his career

Moments after the Nevada Athletic Commission handed Nick Diaz a controversial five-year suspension, the popular fighter opened up to, perhaps like never before. Here's what Diaz had t read news >>