Donald Sanchez KOTCWith 13 wins in his last 16 fights, King of the Cage bantamweight champion Donald Sanchez has been rebuilding a career that started off with a lack of consistency.

Perhaps the most impressive of his wins came recently when he defeated Matt Comeau via second round TKO to defend his title at KOTC: Regulators.

“I was fighting a guy who had never been finished, who I knew was real scrappy with good boxing and wrestling. So I knew I had to weather the storm in order to take him out,” said Sanchez of Comeau. “I knew I would be able to ground and pound him once I was able to use my size and strength to get him to the ground.

“I had a feeling he’d be relentless with the takedown and hold me down, so that’s where I ended up sweeping him and getting mount and landing some pretty hard elbows and finishing him like that.”

Having primarily relied upon his striking much of his career, Sanchez has begun to develop his ground game more and it’s paid off during his recent run.

“(At my gym) we do a lot of sneaky dirty boxing stuff with a real sticky guard and I feel that works really well for me,” said Sanchez. “I have no worries about being able to get back up or reversing the position or even inflicting some damage from the bottom with the dirty boxing or the submission which is always there.”

Sanchez hopes he’ll be able to continue to face tough opposition, as it gives him something to aspire to, such as the case where he faced two of MMA’s top lighter weight fighters in Hatsu Hioki and Tatsuya Kawajiri.

“Even though I haven’t successfully (risen to their level) yet, I’m going to,” said Sanchez. “It’s going to happen. I’m getting more and more confident and I’m ready for it all like that. It doesn’t scare me (to face that level of competition). It’s a couple notches in my record, but I learn from that, I learn big time.”

When it comes to his goal for 2013, Sanchez told MMAWeekly.com that he feels with the work he’s put in over the last couple of years, now is the time to take that next step in his career.

“I want to make it to the big stage and prove I can fight with all of them,” he said. “I want to be there and I think this is the year to do it.

“I have a ton of fights and it’s been on-the-job training basically because I didn’t have an amateur background. I just kept taking fights, fight after fight, and now I’m there and I’ve been here long enough that I’m ready for it.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Chael Sonnen Hit Hard by Joe Silva’s Retirement

Longtime UFC matchmaker Joe Silva, 20-plus years into his career, is calling it quits. Listen to Chael Sonnen's take on the gold standard for MMA matchmakers. read news >>

Can Alistair Overeem Finally Kill the King? | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Dean Mouhtaropoulos/Zuffa LLC It looked as though this day would never come. Two years ago it was near unthinkable that Alistair Overeem would fight for the UFC heavyweight title after a str read news >>

The Question: Does CM Punk Stand Any Chance of Winning His UFC Debut?

CM Punk finally gets his chance to silence the doubters at Saturday's UFC 203. Criticism and skepticism have dogged the former WWE wrestler since he inked a multifight deal with the UFC back in Decem read news >>

Miocic vs. Overeem: Career Stats, Highlights for Both Before UFC 203

Capturing the UFC Heavyweight Championship is one thing; defending it is a different matter altogether. That's the challenge Stipe Miocic faces when he welcomes Alistair Overeem to Cleveland in the m read news >>

Gall excited for 'best 15 minutes of career' vs Punk

Mickey Gall doesn’t plan on just beating CM Punk at UFC 203 – he plans on destroying the former WWE megastar in his UFC debut. read news >>

CM Punk Comments on MMA Career, Life After WWE and More

Ahead of his highly anticipated MMA debut against Mickey Gall Saturday at UFC 203, CM Punk discussed his development as a fighter and his past as a WWE Superstar in The Players' Tribune. Punk said th read news >>

UFC's CM Punk Experiment Gets off to a Painful Start

CM Punk’s new career as an MMA fighter got off to a painful start on Saturday. Punk proved no match for Mickey Gall at UFC 203, as Gall wasted little time taking the former WWE wrestler down and scor read news >>

CM Punk’s Drawing Power Might Not Be Enough | MMAWeekly.com

CM Punk’s UFC career may have been a one-and-done deal. The former WWE superstar made his professional fighting debut on Saturday at UFC 203 in Cleveland, Ohio. read news >>

Tito Ortiz: Chael Sonnen Payback Would be a Great Way to End His Career | MMAWeekly.com

For Tito Ortiz, there is no better way to end his career than to exact payback upon Chael Sonnen. read news >>

Ben Askren Finally Set to Defend his ONE Championship Welterweight Title | MMAWeekly.com

It appears undefeated ONE Championship welterweight titleholder Ben Askren finally has a date for his next title defense. read news >>