King Mo Lawal - StrikeforceIn recent weeks things have become very public in the contract dispute between Eddie Alvarez and Bellator/Viacom.

Alvarez fought the final bout of his Bellator contract last October. Bellator had the right to an exclusive negotiating period, but waived it so that Alvarez could field a contract offer from the UFC.

Bellator and its majority owner, Viacom, still retained matching rights, which they enacted. And that is where the dispute lies. Bellator and Viacom say they matched the UFC’s offer, whereas Alvarez and his camp disagree.

Following lawsuits and failed attempts to come to a resolution, Alvarez has taken his fight public, leveling various complaints about his former employer via social media and in various interviews.

While much has been said by Alvarez to disparage his one-time employer, there are other fighters who feel differently than he does.

Among those who feel that Bellator/Viacom is getting a bad rap is former Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Muhammad “King Mo” Lawal.

Lawal, who signed with Bellator and fellow Spike TV product TNA Wrestling following his release from Strikeforce, has nothing but positive things to say about his employers.

“They’re respectful and they just want you to go out there and fight,” he said. “I’m very satisfied with Bellator. I don’t ask for too much, and they treat me like a real king. I’m grateful I’m with Bellator.”

Lawal also points out that since falling under the Viacom banner, he’s had more opportunities to branch out and become known to more than just the hardcore MMA fans.

“I’ve been exposed to the fight fans for a long time, but getting the call to do things like walk the red carpet (at the MTV Movie Awards) and get exposed to new people has been great,” he said. “Even the pro wrestling piece (that aired on Spike TV), I have a lot more pro wrestling fans and people who want to help me with the pro wrestling part and that’s cool.

“I want to be able to branch out, and that’s what I feel I can do with Bellator, Spike TV and Viacom. I have the option of branching out and meeting new people. It’s great to be able to be in new environments.”

Lawal’s dealings have been positive not only with the companies themselves, he also has only good things to say about Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney.

“You’ll have a lot of guys who will go out there and do an interview and blast you, but then when they see you, they shake your hand and tell you that you’re a hell of a fighter. Bjorn isn’t like that,” said Lawal. “That’s why I respect him and like him.”

As far as the Alvarez situation goes, Lawal feels that, at the end of the day, it’s a business situation and it’s up to those involved and no one else to hash out those types of disputes.

“Contract disputes are part of sports,” said Lawal. “When you’re dealing with money, you’re going to have contract disputes here and there.

“Somebody’s going to be mad with the Eddie Alvarez thing; it’s either going to be Viacom or Eddie Alvarez. I hope they come to a good resolution.

“I hope Eddie gets the money he wants and what he deserves and I hope Viacom gets what they deserve. But I know it’s not going to happen, so I’m just going to sit back and wish them both the best.”

Chael Sonnen to Bellator: Latest Contract Details, Comments, Reaction

Veteran MMA fighter Chael Sonnen has left UFC and signed a multiyear deal with Bellator, Damon Martin of Fox Sports reported Thursday. MMA Fighting's Ariel Helwani confirmed Martin's report. The 39-y read news >>

Bellator inks Cheick Kongo, Ilima Macfarlane to multi-fight contract extensions

Bellator has signed two of its notable fighters to contract extensions. Heavyweight Cheick Kongo and women’s flyweight Ilima Macfarlane have both inked multi-fight contract extensions with the organi read news >>

Conor McGregor Will Fight Eddie Alvarez for Lightweight Title in NYC | FIGHTLAND

No UFC fighter has ever been the champion of two divisions, but Conor McGregor will get a shot at his second belt when he takes on Eddie Alvarez at UFC 205 on November 12. The fight, announced yester read news >>

Conor McGregor Fan Trolls Eddie Alvarez Hard at UFC 205 Press Conference | MMAWeekly.com

Watch this ballsy fan call out Eddie Alvarez at the UFC 205 press conference, much to Conor McGregor's amusement. read news >>

Coach Pederneiras confirms Jose Aldo wants out of UFC, hopes to figure out contract termination in Portland

Former UFC featherweight champion and current interim titleholder Jose Aldo said on Tuesday that he wanted out of the UFC – and possibly MMA altogether – following UFC 205’s main event booking.Filed read news >>

Who is Next for Dominick Cruz? Dana White Weighs In | MMAWeekly.com

Bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz defended his title in June at UFC 199. His next title defense is in the works, but whom he’ll face is still in question. read news >>

Conor McGregor Ridicules Eddie Alvarez, ‘They Begged Me!’ | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor's tongue was as sharp as ever when he unleashed his fury and ridiculed lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez at a UFC 205 press conference. read news >>

Conor McGregor is the Betting Favorite Against UFC Champ Eddie Alvarez | MMAWeekly.com

As Nate Diaz would say, "I'm not surprised." Conor McGregor is the betting favorite against Eddie Alvarez at UFC 205. read news >>

Ex-Bellator champ Alexander Volkov debuts with promotion vs. Timothy Johnson at UFC Fight Night 99

• a day ago

The UFC has another new heavyweight in its ranks – and he’s a former Bellator champion. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Alexander Volkov signs with UFC, faces Timothy Johnson at UFN 99

• a day ago

Longtime Bellator MMA fighter Alexander Volkov has made the transition to the UFC and will debut against Timothy Johnson at UFC Fight Night 99.There's been many Bellator MMA fighters who have ma read news >>